It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 03:42 AM   #16
(female)

me1957 HB User
Re: Kidney Cancer Warriors Part Two

Nancy
How is Dave doing?
When Stanley had his kidney taken out he did real good so hopefully Dave will also.I will say a prayer for both of you. Mary Jean

Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 AM   #17
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User

Hello Nancy and Mary,

I want to let you know I am praying and thinking about you both.

Nancy, How is Dave doing ? I know the surgery is hard on ones body. However he will be strong and get through it. I am sorry to hear he had to be cut open. As that type is a longer road to recovery. I know as long as he has you he will be just fine ! You are doing what you can for him.

Stay strong and make sure you are taking care of yourself too.

Mary,
Glad to see you here. I know its hard on you. I hope you know we all here think about you often and when we see you stop in we are grateful. You will always be welcome. In my thoughts as well.

A Friend Wendy

P.S. How is Ellen ? Thinking about her also. I also want to put a shout out to Jackie! Miss you lots.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #18
(female)

Twiddles HB User

Hi Wendy, Mary Jean, Ellen, and Everyone,

Dave's radical nephrectomy surgery on Monday was very successful. The doctor said that by the time he got the kidney, adrenal gland, and everything else it was alltogether the size of a football!! Yuyck!! I am so glad that is out of him. Now hopefully he'll do much better and the Torisel and other drugs will be able to fight the remaining cancer without having to worry about that horrible left kidney. The incision didn't go clear to the back like we thought. It is in the abdomen, from just left of the belly button all the way to the left rib cage area.

We had a bit of a rocky day on Tuesday. The first time they tried to get him out of bed, he told them he was dizzy. But they kept going with him and sat him in a chair. When he sat down, he said, "Ohhhhh, I'm really dizzy.....I'm going.....I'm going!" And his eyes rolled back in his head, he turned white as a ghost, and he threw his head back and got real stiff and rigid and completely quit breathing!! They had to call a "Code Blue" and all the doctors and nurses came running with the crash cart. They rushed me off to another room where a chaplain came and sat with me. Well, I was pretty hysterical and crying, of course. I couldn't believe we had come this far....to think that it might end this way....I was in total shock. About 15 minutes later the nurse came in and said Dave was going to be okay. He was awake and talking. His heart never stopped beating, but he wasn't breathing on his own at all. As they were getting ready to put the breathing tube down his throat he woke up and began breathing on his own, thank God. He woke up and asked what happened. When they told him the story, he just said, "Wow. You all had a party and I wasn't invited!" Then later he was joking about how everyone had so much excitement and he didn't even get to see it!" What a goof!! But he really, really had us all scared. The doctor said it was probably just a combination of being very weak, a little anemic, the general anesthesia, and the pain medications, plus the fact that he hadn't eaten in 3 days....it just was too much for him. After that, they gave him 2 units of blood and let him start eating some jello and juices, and he got a lot better.

Today he's doing great. He's been walking in the halls, and they took his epidural (catheter in his spine that delivers pain medicine) out, and they took his urine catheter out. They're starting him on pain pills, and he's been in a lot of pain so I hope they give him something good for pain. He's eating, walking, and tooting, so I guess all is well. They said he might even be able to go home late tomorrow if everything goes well.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I continue to keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Blessings,
Nancy

Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User

Hi Nancy,

Glad you had a minute to stop in and post an update. Glad to hear things are going okay. Sorry to hear about the scare. Bet that really put you in a tissy. It sure would me. Yikes scary stuff.

I hope Dave is doing better as I post and hopefully it wont be long and he will be home. He will have to take it easy though. I hope you are also getting rest as I know its hard being at the hospital and then home and back and forth. I think its just as hard on the visitor sometimes.

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Update on Dad :
Dad went to his doctor the other day and his blood work showed all is going good. Although he has lost about 15 pounds in the last two months. He will go for a ct-scan on 11/26 and will or should know result on 12/1. This is the first scan since the new medication. Keeping positive thoughts that all is well or even better!

A Friend Wendy

Last edited by lilsis1071; 11-06-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: adding update

Old 11-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #20
(female)

brighterday HB User

Hello Everyonem

Guess all thought I left earth. LOL Hear theres lots been going on. My prayers have been with all of you and your loved ones. Just took time out in a busy life.
Keith's cancer came back in his arm and his shoulder is totally broken. He nolonger has any use in it. it is broken into about three inches from top of arm. He had 3 months straight of radiation on the arm, fractured hip and broken hand. Between work and trying to get him there for the treatments I had to put life on hold for a while. They placed him on "sutent" again but with a higher dose of 50mg and he had a bad reaction and had to be taken off. He has lost about 40 pounds since last Christmas.
Ocerall we are hanging in there. Our 14-year-old has had some problems dealing with it and seeing his daddy so sick so we are getting him some counseling. Thats where I have been.
Please know that I have missed all of you and am trying to get back. I seem to be a slight more stressed lately and it helps to have friends who tell me they understand.
Jackie

Old 11-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #21
(female)

brighterday HB User

I just read back some and have lost time. I just see where Stan pass away. Oh Mary I am so sorry for your loss. (cry) I just did not know. Please know that your in my prayers.
Nancy you and my friend Wendy also. Wendy tell your daddy hello.

Got to go can't see computer. Love ya all, Jackie

Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #22
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User

Hello all,

Jackie it took my breath away to see you are back. Thats in a good way. I have been so worried about you and Keith. I am so sorry to hear about all he has been going through. Please know you are and have been in my thoughts and prayers. I will tell my dad hello and you do the same from him to Keith.

I have really missed you here. You were the first one that i ever chatted with on this type of thing. Welcome back, we will always be here for you.

Nancy, How is Dave doing? I know recovery is probably still in the process.

Update on my dad : He had his first scan since taking the nexavar and it shows he is stable. No decrease in anything. But not having any increase is very good ! I know he has lost some weight with this new med and we are just hoping it will level off. I hope the med continues to work for some time as there is others on the horzion. He has been so lucky with this cancer. There are so many that have had so many issues. Please know everyone is always a thought away.

We made it through Thanksgiving and now have to get through Christmas. Times are very tough and not sure how it will turn out. All I know is as long as we have each other thats all that matters to me. Hope every one is feeling okay and staying strong. I miss everyone.

A Friend Wendy

Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 AM   #23
(female)

brighterday HB User

Wendy,
I too am glad to be back. I missed all of you too! Glad to hear that your daddy has nothing new. Sorry to hear that he has been having problems with the meds. Wow. These meds are something aren't they? Please tell him hello from us in the South where he loves so much!
Keith went for his scan results yesterday. I had to work so they placed me on speaker phone. The meds he took did not change the existing cancer and like you we are just glad they did not grow. However, he did have two new mets in his bad lung that he had two surgeries in at the beginning of this journey.They told us to enjoy Christmas and they would come up with a game plan in January. Its a new chemo that they say has good results. He will take it by drip. He will be the first in our area to take it.
It has been busy. October our son was invited on a hayride. Keith and I took him and then we went and got a hamburger and talked and enjoyed riding in his 1987 jeep that he loves. We had to go back at 9:00 that night to get our son. We parked the jeep and Keith was showing me how to let the front seat up to let peple in the back. It pushed so fast it knocked the jeep out of gear and it rolled toward these peoples house and porch. I went to try to stop it and Keith with his broken shoulder, fracture hip and broken hand got in front of me and jumped on the jeep trying to get in and it through him 4 feet. He landed on his broken shoulder side and it knocked him out but not before he gave a horrible scream out. Anyway, ther we were. The jeep hit their porch but no damage and Keith went by ambulance but he was just severely bruised. It took him weeks to get over it. We were blessed once again. I of course love fun so he got the name 'Indiana Jones". LOL
I heard a message on tv last night. Joel Osteen said that we should not feel defeated. That these trials are working to make us stronger and don't let it define us but let it refine us. None of us know where these journeys are taking us. All that we can do is pray and lift each other up.
Like Keith says...if one person can be changed by watching how we all deal with this and they can see God in our eyes...then all is not in vain.
God Bless all of you. MaryJane..my prayers with you this Christmas...Nancy and Wendy...May you be blessed this season...Hug your love one...for that is the greatest gift this season and most of all lets remember that we are loved by God and he knows all about each of us.
Jackie

Last edited by brighterday; 12-03-2008 at 06:57 AM.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #24
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User

Jackie,

Wow an adventure it was. Glad to know he was only bruised and not more broken bones. Although sometimes thats worse to heal from.

Its been a journey for you for sure. Its always an up and down battle. Although its nice having someone on the ride with you. Thats where we all come in. I know this is a heck of a way to meet new people, however I am so very blessed I have. Life seems a bit easier to deal with when you have friends that know what your talking about. (been there) I appreciate all these chats and so look forward to hearing from everyone. Good or bad. I know the bad is not always easy to talk about but it does make you feel better to get it out.

I know we are all in tough times and as I see I am thankful for my family and the friends out there that really do care and make a world of difference to others. (YOU) !

What is the name of the new chemo that Keith will be getting? How often and what are some of its sides? I know dad could only tolerate the sutent at 37.5mg as the 50mg was just to much for him. Was Keith only on the 50 or have they tried the lower doses? Dad wanted me to mention it to you. He was glad that i heard again from you and Keith. He and my mom got an apartment here in NY and will not be going south this winter. Well at least not for any time period. We want to get them there for a little bit if we can.

Anyway I am so excited to see you here again and wish you nothing but the best. So sorry to hear your son is having a time dealing with this. I know its got to be hard as I am an adult child and have a hard time with it. I wish I could help, glad to hear you are getting that though. How have you been? Hows your health? I hope all is well and will look forward to hearing back from you soon.

A Friend Wendy

Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #25
(female)

me1957 HB User

Hello All
glad to see everyone stopping by. I am having alot of hard moments like right now!!!!!!! but I manage to get through them.
I miss Stan sooooooooooo much . Words just can't describe it.
So with that do hold your loved ones withall your love strenght and hope that you have because yuo just never know.
I know that Stanley is spending this year with Jesus but man I am missing him so much.
Love to all and everyone have a Merry Christmas and cherish every single little thing Mary Jean

Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #26
(female)

me1957 HB User

Hello All
glad to see everyone stopping by. I am having alot of hard moments like right now!!!!!!! but I manage to get through them.
I miss Stan sooooooooooo much . Words just can't describe it.
So with that do hold your loved ones withall your love strenght and hope that you have because yuo just never know.
I know that Stanley is spending this year with Jesus but man I am missing him so much.
Love to all and everyone have a Merry Christmas and cherish every single little thing Mary Jean

Old 12-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #27
(female)

brighterday HB User

My heart and prayers with you Mary Jean through this season. Merry Christmas.

May this year be brighter for all my friends here and their love ones. Jackie

Last edited by brighterday; 12-08-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #28
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User

Hello to all,

Everyone here has been in my thoughts as well. I know the upcoming Holiday is going to be tough for many here. I look at it as we have one another and can move forward as we know there is a shoulder to lean on.

I wish everyone a safe and Happy season as well. My prayers are with all my good friends here. I really enjoy our chats here.

Jackie, I want you to know you are a true warrior in this as is all of the others. Your story has inspired me more than you know. I am grateful and so thankful for your friendship even though it has come to me this way.

MaryJean, Nancy and Ellen,
As for the other ladies you too have been great friends and I am thankful for you also! I will continue to be here for each and everyone of you.

A Friend Wendy

Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #29
(female)

Twiddles HB User

Mary Jean, I'm so sorry you are having to go through the holidays this year without Stan. I know it is difficult beyond words. Holidays are horrible when wrapped in grief. Please know I've been thinking about you and praying for you!

To Everyone Else, I hope your holidays are good. Dave is doing "okay." It's been 5 weeks since his nephrectomy and he's still pretty weak and has lost a bit more weight, but he's hanging in there. I cherish this time with him and hope these holidays won't be my last with him. It is so hard to even think about not having him with me. I wish all of you the very best and hope 2009 will be a good year for everyone.

Nancy

Old 12-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #30
(female)

me1957 HB User

Nancy
Thank you sooo much for your kind words and I am sooooo glad you still have Dave. I remember those days when Stanley had his nephrectomy.
I am trying to move forward and plan to go back to night school starting in Feb. to try to become a R.N.
Everybody
HOLD ON TIGHT THIS CHRISTMAS SEASON. becasue you truely never know.I really never thought till Stanley took his final breath that he would die. I had hope that he would survive this and I really held on that hope but it was not meant to be.
My heart is hurting BUT he is with JESUS this year for Christmas.
I would love just to be able to hold him talk to him again and just be near him and tell him just how much I really do love him you can't never tell them enough.
Merry Christmas to anyone on this board and truely remember the true meaning of our Christmas season. Mary Jean

Closed Thread