HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Kidney (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-kidney/)
-   -   Kidney Cancer Warriors Part Three (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-kidney/711116-kidney-cancer-warriors-part-three.html)

lilsis1071 09-05-2009 04:48 AM

Kidney Cancer Warriors Part Three

:) Good day to all.

I know we all have gathered here and found ourselves some true friends. I know this is not the usuall place for that, however I think of you all like that.

I know times have been good and times have been tough. But as we have one another all is possible to get through these times.

I hope everyone is doing well today and that you all enjoy your weekend.

See you soon.
A Friend Wendy :angel:

lilsis1071 09-24-2009 05:11 AM

Re: Kidney Cancer Warriors Part Three

Hello Ladies,

Its been some time now. I hope all are okay. Please if you get a chance stop in and let me know you are all ok.

Thoughts and prayers to you all .

Wendy :angel:

rscott12345 09-25-2009 07:40 PM

Wendy,

I have nothing to report on the pRCC front. I am still among those blessed to be NED. I stay on top of all the news as much as possible since I know that can change at any time with this horrible beast. Each day I pray for the survivors and new patients, plus the many medical researchers who are working so hard to find more effective treatments for RCC. They are our best hope.

I have been dealing with a new problem that is probably not related to the pRCC, but is more disturbing in many ways. I have had several mini-strokes (TIA's - transient ischemic attack) since the end of July. No permanent damage, but all the MRI's and ultrasounds have not determined a cause for these attacks. These things put you at high risk for a big stroke, so I am really focusing on trying to figure out how to avoid that! I have lost 20 pounds and am on a Plavix type blood medicine.

I have an 18 month pRCC check due in December, so I am not forgetting my 'other' problem. With these recent medical issues, I may just get my act together and be ready for the last third of my life. I have just begun to fight!

Randy

lilsis1071 09-28-2009 05:27 AM

Hey Randy,

How are you doing today? Wow something different - the mini attacks. Hmmm... I know that certain medication can cause this to happen. Are you on any treatment for the cancer? Now that you are on the plavix are things getting better? That really baffles me too.

I hope all is well and you continue to stop by and let us know how things are going. You can fight as hard as you can and what happens, well only the man above knows. I know the unknown can be as hard as being diagnosed.
Best of luck to you and chat with you soon.

lilsis1071 10-23-2009 05:22 AM

Hi there all,

Its been some time since anyone has been here. ??? I hope all are doing okay.

Dad has been having some pain in his mid to right back now for about three weeks he is finally agreed to go see his doctor. I think he thinks its a muscle pull. Been putting muscle rub and what not on it and its still bothering him, and he is resting it. So we will find out as he goes on Monday to his PCP. Then the ONCO. doctor on Wednesday. Which was a scheduled appt.

Anyway I hope all of you are doing good and please know my thoughts and prayers are with you all ! :angel:

16kidney 11-28-2009 10:04 AM

I was diagnosed middle of June w/ RCC & had a L nephrectomy (Grade 2; stage T1a, Nx, Mx; adrenals kept) through my left side in July. What is freaking me out is the continued pain which I've been told is normal with increasing activity & nerves waking up but I'd like to hear from others. I am so sad...& attempt to keep a positive additude. Need a Las Vegas support group. Don't want to hear about other health issues--brings me down & makes me paranoid.

brandystar 02-08-2010 09:20 AM

My husband has been diagnosed with cancer in his right kidney. The urologist wants to remove half of the kidney. My husband will not agree to the surgery. He is 62yrs old,has type 2 diabetes. Does anyone relate to this situation? I am at the end of the rope with stress and worry!

16kidney 02-09-2010 12:42 PM

I am 62 years old & had my entire left kidney removed because of a small encapsulated cancerous tumor. It has taken me 6 months to feel fairly normal again--I had an open nephrectomy. I am not diabetic so am not prone to developing diabetic nephropathy which may be why the surgeon only wants to remove half the kidney. You didn't give much other info but it's always good to get a 2nd opinion in conjunction with a consultation with your husband's endocrinologist. Remember to deep breathe & attempt to control your panic & fear. Talk to someone other than your hubby also. My husband & I both saw a therapist to deal with the emotional issues of a cancer diagnosis. My urologist's office staff members have been good listeners too. Keep us posted.

brandystar 02-10-2010 10:45 AM

Thank you 16kidney for your reply to me. I will show my husband the information you shared and hopefully he will follow up with your suggestions. The diabetes does complicate everything. I hope you keep posting your recovery. It does help talking with someone that is going through the same thing. This is tough. All the best to you too.:confused:

brighterday 06-05-2010 08:02 PM

Dear Wendy and friends,
I apologize for taking so long to write. I am doing great. I finally dealt with the loss of Keith and I am getting my life back together. I was just so lost with out Keith. I went into a deep depression but I am all better now. It is so strange how things like that can come over you and your not in control of how it effects you.
I tell this hopefully to help someone else. So hope your dad is doing ok Wendy. Please let me know.

lilsis1071 06-06-2010 11:18 AM

Jackie,

I have thought of you often and have missed our chats.. I am so glad to hear you are doing better. How are the kids? I know its not what we expect that gets the best of us. I hope things continue on the better side for you and your family.

As for Dad he is still holding stable. Although he has pain that is sometimes hard for him to handle. He seems to look yellowish now and then. I am not sure why tho. He has been having terrible sweating burst, especially first thing in the morning. (Sugar or blood pressure or ?? ) we dont know. He has been doing a bit better with mood . Better weather I think.

Once again I am sooooo HAPPY to hear from you again.. !!!

:angel:Love, Wendy :

brighterday 06-12-2010 08:56 AM

Oh Wendy,
It is so good to be back and see your postings! So sorry to hear that your dad is having so much trouble. My heart goes out to you both! Wish I could scoop your family up and make them feel better. I really do.
My children are doing better. My oldest has moved 30 miles away and is working and living in an apt. My 16 yr old is plays his music and is doing good. We finally have some sense of "normal" again. It has been rough and we miss Keith more than we can tell. Yesterday would have been our 28th anniversary! I am going to go place some flowers on his grave. Couldnt yesterday for raining.
Have you heard from dave and them? concerned for everyone.
I am sorry that I disappeared. Just had to deal with my sorrow before returning to "our home place here". Will stay in touch now.
Love all of you very much! Jackie

lilsis1071 06-15-2010 03:44 AM

Good Day

Jackie, I am glad to hear all are on a path to "normal" again. I know its extremely hard. You have been in my thoughts and prayers and every so often dad asks about u as well. He isnt doing to bad.

I know life seems to go on and I also know we never forget the ones we love and have lost.

Have you got yourself in better health as well? I know you were having some health issues as well. I hope so. Please know you are always thought of and well wishes are being sent your way.

A Friend Always, Wendy:angel:

brighterday 06-16-2010 07:18 AM

Wendy thank you...I pray for you and your dad often. Please keep me up dated.
Yes I am better. Thanks.
Where is everyone?
Jackie

nannaluvsu 11-07-2011 01:16 AM

Hello everyone

As you can see, I am a newbie to this site. I was reading up on many of the threads on Kidney cancer when I ran across your theads.

My husband was diagnosed was a cancer called Chromophobe Renal Cell Carcinoma back in May of this year. This is supposedly an extremely rare type - striking only 1% of the world population; or so we have been told. It was actaully found acidentally when tests were being run for an injury he had on the job. I guess we can thank God for the work injury occurring when it did - because one of his doctors informed us that had we not found it when we did - we probably would have lost him within six to eight weeks! On May 26th we wer told he had the cancer - June 16th he was placed into the hospital - June 17th they performed a procedure to block off the blood supply to the tumor in hopes of shrinking it before they tried to remove it due to the massive size of it - then June 21st, they did the actual nephrectomy to remove the right kidny and tumor. We were told the tumor weighed 4.8 lbs. Amazingly to everyone - we cannot figure out how he did not feel this thing expanding inside him! He then spent until July 5th in the hospital due to the extent to his surgery - and some complications that arose with blood clots after the surgery.

As many of you are aware - this was a very stressful period. Unfortunately, after completion of the surgery, they informed us that they could not get all of it out due to the massive size of it - as well as the fact the lesions were found on the L3 and T11 vertebrae of his spine. He went through 10 treatments of radiation to target the pain in his spine - although we are truly not sure if most of the pain was from the cancer or the work injury. After completion of these treatments - he has now begun Terisol treatments. AS of the upcoming Wednesday, he will be doing his fourth treatment.

It has been told to us a couple of times that this is supposed to be a slow growing cancer - but, during an appointment with the oncologist on Thursday of last week - we were informed that it has spread some already - though no explanation of how much. However, after reading the report - it is planned to schedule another appointment this week to get some answers to determine if our understanding of the reports are as bad as we think after my researching some of the information.

Anyway - as all of you are caregivers of others fighting their own battles - I know you understand my stress some days - as well as the fears that cross my mind from time to time - and trying to keep up with working a full time job - keeping bills paid (especially until the disability income begins coming in on a regular basis) - and the house work that must be done. Not to mention - we also have a 25 year old son with numerous health issues of his own that must be assisted with (end stage renal disease - on dialysis three times per week and awaiting tranplant; thyroid cancer found when they had to remove his parathyroid due to issues that arose from the kidney disease; begun having seizures, and last - but not least - had to have the aortic valve in his heart replaced two weeks ago.

Some days I feel like I'm gonna lose my mind - My employer has not really been as supportive as some would hope. Rather than asking how I or my family is doing - the upper management has my immediate supervisor discuss how important attendance is; and that the more I am out, the more other employees have to pick up the slack while you are out. Then, When our son got put back in the hospital - and we learned of his required heart surgery - I went to work and infomred the immediate supervisor that I amy be called away if something happens when they are comleting the procedure to check out all of the valves in our son's heart - in an effort to insure that they would only have to do the one valve. Well - wouldnt you know it - I'm at work two hours - and get a call saying he's being put into ICU due to complications after the procedure. Well, some of the management was not too happy when they learned I had left early again that day. Luckily - my immediate supervisor is a very wonderful person - adn is willing to keep me informed when there could be issues. Needless to say - things continued badly on the job - and I broke! Now, my doctor has me out on stress leave to top it all off!!!

Anyway -- sorry for the rambling - and I realize this is support for those who care for loved ones with kidney cancer - so, My ramblings regarding the rest do not fit - but, I hopoe you don't mind. I just needed toi vent and get it off my chest. Kinda hard to talk to some friends - as they work in the same place - can't really talk to our kids and say some of the things I need to - and don't want to ramble to my husband too much - or he will be up trying to do more than he can -- just to try to help me when he thinks I need it - rather than resting when he has become fatigued and should stop.

Weeeellll --- enough is enough! Again - my apologies for the rambling. I hope you will not hold it against me - and allow me to speak to some of you when I need a listener. I promise I will do my best to make sure that I don't ramble any more - and that my replies will not be books!

Thank you to all who were willing to take time to read my entire post (book).