It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
(female)

jsy2104 HB User
Does kidney cancer affect your creatinine level?

My dad (77 years old) has a creatinine level of 2.3, the doctor said he has about 23% kidney function left. He now needs to have his right kidney removed due to kidney cancer. The doctor said that he will be put on dialysis after the surgery. My question is, how much worse his kidney function will go after one kidney is taken out? If the kidney cancer somehow affect the kidney function, by taking the cancerous one out, wouldn't the kidney function be improved?

My dad feels perfectly fine right now. He really concerns about the dialysis after the surgery. He wants to seek traditional Chinese herbal treatment to try to restore his kidney function and reduce the creatinine level after the surgery. He is afraid once he is put on dialysis, his kidney function will be further reduced. Do you develope dependency on dialysis once you start using it?

How realistic for someone of his age to travel long distance after 4-6 weeks of the scope kidney removal surgery?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Does kidney cancer affect your creatinine level?

First off, while I am not a doc, I can tell you what I know about kidneys. With a creatinine at that level, the damage is not exclusive to the kidney with the cancer. There is something else going on, Does he have diabetes or high blood pressure? Have they determined if there is any other underlying kidney disease?

In addition to that, what happens when they remove a kidney is that the other organ has to work extra hard to take up the slack. They are probably putting him on dialysis temporarily in order to help the remaining kidney gradually accept the additional responsiblilty. There is a good chance that the creatinine will go up though due to the extra work load taken on by an already damaged kidney.

When my kidneys were failing I tried all sorts of things including a world class accupuncture doctor. The bottom line is that there is not anything out there that will stop or reverse kidney damage. In fact, some herbal treatments can be harmful because they add pressure to the kidney by being diuretics. Check with the doctor what herbals are acceptable and which ones can make the damage worse.

The good news is that with proper care, diet and exercise, the progression of the kidney issues may be very slow and he may never have to worry about going on dialysis on a permanent basis. I'm sure the dialysis is only temporary for after the surgery.

Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
(female)

jsy2104 HB User

Thanks, Cora, for your reply.

My dad does have diabetes and high blood pressure for over 15 years. I understand that is the major contributing factor to high creatinine.
Your explanation of the remaining kidney working extra hard makes sense. I hope the dialysis is just temporary.

Thank you for warning me about the herbal treatment. It seems there are no western medicine that can work to reduce the creatinine level, we heard some herbal treatment are pretty effective. I will certainly check with my dad's kidney doctor here to make sure that they are acceptable.

Any recommendations for diet and excercise? My mom is worried about him not getting enough protein. everywhere I read, it says refrain from meat, fish, eggs and milk. Then where can he get his protein?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Your dad will probably be referred to a renal nutritionist. They will explain how to follow the diet and what the restrictions are etc. depending on his lab results.

monte

Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Monte is right. He will most likely see a renal dietitian. What he can eat will depend on his lab work. While I was pre-dialysis I was on a low protein diet. That, however, is still an adequate protein diet. It is just lower than what a lot of folks normally eat. Because animal protein is hard on the kidney, you do need to cut back. I was still eating a reasonable amount though. It just means no 10 ounce steak at one sitting. Again, depending on the labwork, there are many plant sources of protein that are good including beans and legumes. If he has a problem with potassium, these may have to be limited. Try not to worry about the diet. He will receive adequate nutrition.

I'm afraid you can't go by generic recommendations found in books or on the internet. Everything he will or will not be able to eat will depend on his individual blood tests.

As for exercise, again, speaking with the doc post surgery is important. When my cousin gave me a kidney, she was not allowed to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. Walking, however, is always an excellent exercise.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread