It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

sadiebabie HB User
Kidney Cancer stage IV ..spread??

My father was diagnosed w/ stage IV Kidney Cancer in 2008. He had the entire kidney removed with no treatment afterwards, just routine blood work and like 1 scan done.. I read that chemo has very little effect on kidney cancer cells, maybe that's why he had no treatment? IDk, but the DR said it was all contained to the kidney and all the cancer was gone.

So last week, my dad goes for a scan and they found a 5cm lesion on the lower lobe of his lung.. and it's from kidney cancer cells. He has to have surgery ASAP. they still treat this as kidney cancer, not lung cancer.

From looking up stage IV kidney cancer... the survival rate is VERY VERY LOW within 5 years once it's metastized.. And even though there is only 1 lesion, i am still worried... !!!

Has anyone ever had stage IV or know someone who has and had a good outcome?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User
Re: Kidney Cancer stage IV ..spread??

Good Morning Sadie...

How are things going for you and your dad? I too have a father that has stage 4 kidney cancer with mets to the lung, bone , existing kidney and now his pancreas..

He has been living with kidney cancer for 5 yrs... there is hope. If you have any questions please post.

I hope this finds you both doing well.

Wendy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

sadiebabie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsis1071 View Post
Good Morning Sadie...

How are things going for you and your dad? I too have a father that has stage 4 kidney cancer with mets to the lung, bone , existing kidney and now his pancreas..

He has been living with kidney cancer for 5 yrs... there is hope. If you have any questions please post.

I hope this finds you both doing well.

Wendy
Hi Wendy,

thank you so much for replying. I just now saw your post.. things have been very chaotic lately. Did your father have his kidney taken out?

My father's situation has been changing day by day. He was scheduled to have the lower lobe removed next week. However, He ended up in the ER on Saturday with severe pain in his left leg. He had x-rays, cat scan and an MRI on his leg.. they were not sure what it was, but it's 'concerning'.. so, he had a biopsy done on the bone in his leg yesterday, we are waiting on the results. His surgery is canceled for now because they are more concerned with his leg than his lung and said if it spread to his leg, they won't do the lung surgery.

After reading up on Kidney Cancer, It said the main places it spread are the liver, lungs, bone and brain. And my dad has it on his lung and now 'something' on his leg.? The DR believes it's all related from the kidney. And ironically everything is on his left side.

What kind of treatment is your father getting? Is it everywhere in his bones or localized? And have the DR's said if any of the treatments will help?

xo

Old 11-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User

Sadie,

Sorry for being late to getting back to you .

My father was diagnosed in 2005. Yes first coarse of action was right kidney removal, he didnt start treatment until almost a year later. Found it had spread to lungs. Then he started Sutent. He had been on that for almost 2 yrs. While he was on sutent towards the latter part of the 2 yrs we found out it had also spread to the femur bone and pelvis. All on his right side as well. He has meys in the other kidney as well.

He started Nexavar and has been taking that now for almost 2 yrs as well. However we have recently found out (due to blockage in his arm artery) that it has spread to his pancreas and more in the right kidney.

Awaiting now for a new medication to start called Afintor.

He has had side effects to all these drugs but not bad enough to alter his quaility of life, thank goodness.

How did your dad find out he had kidney cancer ? How much has his doc told him about it? Do you go to appts with him?

I will be here to help in any way I can. It is a very difficult process. Even for you as a daughter. Hope this finds dad and you doing a bit better.

TTYS ..A friend
Wendy

Old 11-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
(female)

sadiebabie HB User

Hi Wendy,

It's perfectly ok

Wow, I am so sorry to hear how things have gotten for your dad. But am relieved to hear it hasn't taken a toll on the quality of his life. How old is your dad? if you don't mind me asking. Did they give a prognosis on his overall health or anything?

We found out that the cancer in my father's femur bone is from the kidney cancer he has in 08'. And the cancer on his lung is lung cancer. They both seem localized, except the lung looks like it has more opaque spots, though they're not showing as lesions.. still, those are not to be trusted. My father is still in the hospital and hopefully today we'll have some answers as far as a treatment plan goes.. Things have been changing day by day.. I swear. He still can not walk on his leg, they're afraid the tumor will break and his bone can splinter.

My dad found out he had kidney cancer when he had a small bit of blood in his urine and then could not urinate at all, there was a clot or blockage. We called his DR and they said he has to go to the ER, because he needs to be able to release urine. They did an ultrasound there and saw a tumor/mass and suggested he see a urologist ASAP. He met with the DR, they removed the entire left kidney and told my father it was 'encapsulated'? and did not spread, yet was stage IV. He never had an oncologist or anything aftwards. His primary DR did his blood work rountinley and sent it out to an oncologist to be checked. I guess blood work isn't good enough, since you can have tumors that are not detected unless a scan is done.

I am a bit angry that he was not followed properly afterwards. Are we to blame? Is his primary? His urologist? It's been almost 3 years and he had 1 CT scan done 3 months after his surgery.. and just blood work. My mom usually goes with him to his appointments, but my silbings, myself and other family members are very much involved and being supportive. Yes, you're right.. It's very difficult, for not only the relative dealing with this, but the family members as well. How has your family been coping with this? 5 years is a long time too..

I hope and pray your dad will be ok and the new med will work for him.

TTYS xoxo

Last edited by sadiebabie; 11-09-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
(female)

Caronene HB User

In Feb of 2009 I had one kidney removed and part of the other one. All showed clear. In May of 2010 I showed it metastasized to my liver and a lung. Since then I have been on Votrient. So far the tumors have shrunk some and not multiplied. I take my meds and do what the doctor says and keep going. God's not through with me yet.

Closed Thread