It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

sadiebabie HB User
kidney cancer stages IV ?

Is it possible to have stage IV kidney cancer... with the cancer contained to only the kidney ?? from what i've read online, it looks like there are 2 grades, but most say stage IV goes beyond the kidney..?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Smile Re: kidney cancer stages IV ?

Hi sadiebabie: Yes it is possible to have stage 4 kidney cancer with the cancer encapsulated in the kidney.

I am a 63 year old female, and I have Chronic Kidney Disease, Stage 4. I had my right kidney removed a year ago because of a rare form of renal cell carcinoma (cancer). My remaining kidney only filters at 19% which is serious. I am on a special diet, low calcium and low potassium because it takes a long time to filter any foods that contain them. Hopefully, I will not need dialysis. I really don't know if I could stand going through that three times a week.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have. Hopefully, I can help you. I've learned a lot since my kidney was diagnosed as cancer.

There are several people on the Kidney disorders board that can offer help. Be sure to ask questions. We are here to help.

Best wishes, Grayfox

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

sadiebabie HB User
Re: kidney cancer stages IV ?

Hi grayfox

Thank you so much for replying. Things have been very chaotic lately..

My father had kidney cancer in Feb 2008, stage 4. It was said to be contained to just the kidney, so they removed his left kidney. He would get blood work rountinely and only ONE CT scan of his body in May of 08'.. NEVER another one and never had an oncologist. They said it was not necessary because it was all contained to just the kidney.

Well now, a few weeks ago after an appt with his PCP, my father received a letter saying he has to follow up with the Urologist who did the kidney removal because it's 'been awhile'.. The Urologist sent him for a CT Scan and a 5cm tumor showed up on his left lung.. so the plan was to remove the lower left lobe (where the tumor is) and then go from there.. HOWEVER, now he ended up in the ER with really bad pain around/above his knee and they did a bone scan because they thought his knee was fracutred and it shows a tumor there as well. They think it might be from the cancer on his lung or from renal cells. Now everything is on hold until they biopsy the tumor on his bone for cancer in the bone.

The DR who is supposed to do the lung surgery was shocked that he had stage 4 kidney cancer and no follow up treatment (aside from blood work).

so this is why i ask, if it possible to be a stage 4 and have it contained. So now he has cancer on his lung and "a suspicious lesion' on the bone of his leg. They are more worried about wha'ts going on in his leg now than anything else.. if it's cancer that metastized from the kidney cells or from his lung, if it's cancer on his lung.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
(female)

Hi Sadiebabie:

Your father should have been seen by a nephrologist before and after his surgery. I feel saddened by his situation. I was diagnosed with my cancer by a nephrologist after an ultrasound, followed by an MRI. I had my surgery done in October of last year. My cancer was also contained in my kidney. It had never metastized in any other organ. I went back to my urologist (surgeon) after two weeks, then six months later and again just last week to be sure all was okay. I have also been having routine appointments with my nephrologist every two months which includes extensive blood tests.

I just had another MRI this week to check the status of my remaining kidney which is at Chronic Kidney Disease, Stage 4. I have multiple cysts, but they are classified as simple cysts which probably will cause no problem.

Please keep us informed about your dad. I will keep him in my prayers.

Grayfox

Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
(female)

sadiebabie HB User

Hi Grayfox,

Something definitely went wrong with my father's f/u care. When you have your follow ups and scans/mri's done, do they do your entire body? The biopsy found out that the cancer in my father's femur bone is from the kidney cells (renal) and his stage IV that was supposedly contained to only the kidney, did in fact metastize.. They didn't even want to scan the lower half of his body, because they felt it "wasn't really necessary, because kidney cancer usually spreads up". Guess they were wrong.. And trust me, if my father didn't go to the ER, they would have never known that he has cancer in his leg bone.

And the cancer on his lung is lung cancer.. So things are a mess with him. I just want thank you for replying let you know, that please make sure they check your entire body. I know every case if different, but look at my dad.. He never thought this would happen. He even asked the oncologist, about it showing up in blood work and he said 'No, not always.." Which means it's very important to get the scans done.

I wish u the best of luck and hope things turn out ok for you and the issues u are currently having with your other kidney. xo

Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
(female)

Hi Sadiebabie,

In answer to your question about whether or not they scan my entire body, the answer is NO. The scans I have had done were an abdominal MRI and ultrasound which includes the kidney, liver, spleen, pancreas, gallbladder and adrenal gland. When my cancer was discovered a CT scan was done of my lungs.

I will definitely talk with my nephrologist about the possibility of having total body scans. After what has happened with your dad, I totally agree that it is a good idea to have that done. Thank you for making me aware.

I keep your dad in my thoughts and wish him improved health.

Best of health to you also.
Grayfox

Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
(female)

sadiebabie HB User

Yes, please do! I know a lot of insurance companies & Doctors think it's not necessary to test the lower half of your body... but it is. My Dad's Urologist had requested his Pet Scan be done above the pelvic.. Had my father not injured his leg and end up in the ER with severe pain, we would have never known the renal cancer spread to that bone. There is also someone else on the board who mentioned her father having renal cancer mets to the femur bone as well. Better to be safe than sorry! Thank you Good luck and I wish you the best of health from here on out !! xo

Last edited by sadiebabie; 11-11-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
(female)

Shell667 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiebabie View Post
Is it possible to have stage IV kidney cancer... with the cancer contained to only the kidney ?? from what i've read online, it looks like there are 2 grades, but most say stage IV goes beyond the kidney..?
Yes! Save your Life do all you can.........It spreads like FIRE, there is no time to waste! I know all about RCC...

Closed Thread