It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

ellabele HB User
Unhappy side pain still 6 months after kidney removal

I had my left kidney removed in early October, 2010, due to cancer.
All went very well. I am indeed one lucky lady, and feel I am in pretty good health.

My question is. I still have pain on the left side where the underlying layers of stitches are.
I want to do my regualr exercises, such as sit ups with my Ab-exerciser, but am hesitant and afraid to do so becuase of my pain.

I would love to hear from others, if they still had pain there, and how long it took for the pain to go away completely.
I would also like to know what waist and tummy exercises are best to do in this situation.

Looking forward to your replies,
Ellie

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: ellabele
Athomenow (03-27-2011), brookejenn61 (11-22-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
(male)

William Y HB User
Re: side pain still 6 months after kidney removal

There shouldn't be any pain after post surgery. What kind of surgery did you have ? Was yours Laparoscopic Surgery ? I had this also in October, 2010.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

ellabele HB User

I had the big cut, no laprascop surgry

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
(male)

William Y HB User

Yours was the Open surgery. It will take longer to recover. What was the size of your
Kidney Tumor ? Mine was 7.0 cm big and still was ok for Laparoscopic surgery.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
(female)

ellabele HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Y View Post
Yours was the Open surgery. It will take longer to recover. What was the size of your
Kidney Tumor ? Mine was 7.0 cm big and still was ok for Laparoscopic surgery.
Hi William,
My tumor grew to .4 cm. I live in Kelowna, B.C, and they do not have the laprascopic kidney surgery available there yet, hopefully will have it next year.
They do have the laprascopic procedure in Vancouvje, but I did not want to drive that for.

I am pretty sure the pain is from the muscle area that was cut, and stitched up in layers.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
(male)

William Y HB User

Your Kidney Tumor was .4 cm small and you let them removed the whole left kidney, not partial ?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
(female)

ellabele HB User

Quote:
Your Kidney Tumor was .4 cm small and you let them removed the whole left kidney, not partial ?
Hi William, silly me,I meant to type, my tumour was 3.2 cm when first dicsovered, I did not want surgery right away, but wanted another cat scan to see how fast it was growing.
The second cat scan done in 3 months, and the tumor had grown to 4 cm
They thought I might have to have the collection tubes removed as well, but luckily the cancer was contained in the kidney and had not spread to the collection tubes.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
(male)

William Y HB User

Mine was found out at 4.3 cm by accidentally and waited five and half years to 7.0 cm.
I was lucky that the cancer was still contained in the kidney and was no spread so far.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
(female)

ellabele HB User

Quote:
Mine was found out at 4.3 cm by accidentally and waited five and half years to 7.0 cm.
I was lucky that the cancer was still contained in the kidney and was no spread so far.
Hi William, I am 66 yrs. young, and mine was also found by accident.
I had been healthy al my life, never had any surgery before, but went into hospital for a pain which turned out to be my appendix.
The appendix was removed that same day and also took lots of x-rays and then found a growth in my left kidney.

So that day I got the "double whammy" of news. I needed my appendix removed and also had a growth in my left kidney they said was cancer.
The Doctors told me I was very lucky, had it not been for my appendix, I would not have found out about my kidney cancer, untill much later in life.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
(male)

William Y HB User

Unfortunately, nine out of ten people found out Kidney Tumor by accidentally. Because of nowadays medical check up does not include the CT Scan, people do not know if they
have had a bomb in their bodies. I found out my Kidney Tumor when I took CT Scan to
find out the unknown skin minor problem on my nose and skin problem has been cured by
itself. That was God's present to find out my Kidney Tumor by accidentally.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
(female)

ellabele HB User

Quote:
Boy you were so lucky that after waiting for so many years the cancer had not spread outside to other areas.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
(female)

ellabele HB User

Quote:
Unfortunately, nine out of ten people found out Kidney Tumor by accidentally. Because of nowadays medical check up does not include the CT Scan, people do not know if they
have had a bomb in their bodies. I found out my Kidney Tumor when I took CT Scan to
find out the unknown skin minor problem on my nose and skin problem has been cured by
itself. That was God's present to find out my Kidney Tumor by accidentally.
Well it seems William, that we both have been given the wonderful present from God to give us such a warning to our kidney cancer nice and early before it could spread and do so much more damage.

We are indeed very lucky!!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
(male)

William Y HB User

We were very lucky indeed. However, I still need to follow up with CT Scan in April (Six months after surgery and every six months thereafter for five years). Do you have the similar following up arrangement with your doctor ?

Last edited by William Y; 03-16-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
(female)

ellabele HB User

Quote:
We were very lucky indeed. However, I still need to follow up with CT Scan in April (Six months after surgery and every six months thereafter for five years). Do you have the similar following up arrangement with your doctor ?
Yes, I do have to follow up for the next 5 years.
After 6 months will need a chest x-ray to make sure the cancer has not spread to the lungs and have an x-ray for the chest for the next 5 years, if nothing shows up they consider that it will not come back . This sometimes happens that the cancer may spread to the lungs.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
(male)

justbe HB User

Quote:
Hi William,

I just discovered your earlier posts when your tumor was 4.3 cm, and now I see it eventually grew to 7.0 cm. I noted that you had decided when the tumor was small not to have the nephrectomy, but would wait and watch. Your situation was most interesting to me because it mirrors mine. I feel just like you did; I don't want to tear down my health with surgery, and if it was my time to go then I will be ready. I have not yet read of anyone else with this approach to their diagnosis.

I went to the hospital recently feeling very nauseous and they ordered a CT-scan. It turned out I had diverticulitis. The doctor said it was a mild case and put me on antibiotics. At the same time, the scan showed a "renal mass" on the bottom pole of my left kidney. The size was 4.1 X 4.6 cm, pretty much the same size as yours when first discovered. The report said it could be either an oncocytoma or a cancer. The urologist at the hospital told me these tumors are found 90% of the time to be cancerous.

I went for a second opinion. The second urologist said the same thing to me and told me the chances are 85% it is cancer. Both said that even if it is benign it should be removed via nephrectomy since a benign tumor can grow and destroy the kidney and other structures. The first surgeon had said he would do a partial nephrectomy even though usually they reserve that for tumors 4.0 cm and smaller, but my tumor was away from all vessels, so he could do it. The second surgeon was on the fence about it. I think he just preferred total nephrectomy because it is easier. He said he would do either. BTW, the Sloane-Kettering hospital site says these tumors are cancer 70% of the time.

It is now a few days shy of two months since I found out I have this mass. I have been taking immune-stimulating substances that I read about in Dr. Russel Blaylock's book, NATURAL STRATEGIES FOR CANCER PATIENTS. My plan was similar to yours -- just to wait, but now I'm wondering that it might be better to try some more approaches, maybe seeing doctors who are using non-surgical techniques; at least to give that a shot before going for surgery.

Did you have the surgery? I don't think you specifically said that -- or maybe I just didn't see it. If so, did you have the whole kidney removed? How are you feeling? Your post sounds upbeat.

I hope you are doing very well.

Best wishes,
Ed

Closed Thread