It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

Jesse678 HB User
Right Kidney Removed

I am 15 days post -op and still feel weak, swollen, depressed and in pain. Am I expecting too much too soon?
Normally I am very active and usually can't get everything I have planned, done in a day. Now getting out of bed and stretching out on the couch seem to be all I am interested in.
I actually think I felt better just after the surgery!
My side is still swollen and tender. It is painful to bend, and sit up straight. Finding a comfortable position is difficult, as is sleeping on my back now for 15
days and nights.

I sound, and feel, like a cry baby, and I HATE it. Could someone tell me this is really going to get easier soon?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
(female)

suzieq59 HB User
Talking Re: Right Kidney Removed

I had my left kidney removed oct of 2010 due to cancer. It has been almost 8 months and my side is still swollen, I still have pain and find it very difficult to wear regular clothes. It is all I can do some days to get out of the bed and get to the living room. I was told my someone who is a nurse that it takes 1-2 yrs to fully recover from this surgery. I had 30 something staples and the incision site is still very tender. I would like to get off the narcotics as I am one who does not like to take pills. However, the pain is still at the level that requires them sometimes. It is not as bad, but I certainly could do without the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BGH2 HB User
Re: Right Kidney Removed

Hi Jesse,

Did you have an open procedure or laproscopic. Either way, you are not expecting too much. It takes time to heal, and you will get stronger day to day even if it is not blatently obvious.

The main thing is to rest when your body says it is tired as this will aid in recovery. Do not lift heavy things, this is a tough surgery. Be sure to use your pain meds if you need to, but since they can make you constipated I found it best to increase my fruit and vegetable intake.

Sleeping on the back is difficult, especially if you are a side sleeper, but you will get there so keep the faith.

Let us know how you are doing, hand in there. You ARE on your road to recovery.

Brent

Closed Thread