It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
(male)

sag24fan HB User
Renal Cell Carcinoma

Hey all, I'm new on here I was told yesterday that the mass on my left kidney is cancer (rcc) I'm being told that my kidney most likely will have to be removed. The mass is 6cm and has blood vesels attached to it which is supplying it with blood. I am going to see the urologist on Wendsay. I guess my question is, what can I expect when I go to the doctor? And If my kidney is removed, how long can I expect to be laid and out of work?

Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
(male)

William Y HB User
Re: Renal Cell Carcinoma

Hi sag24fan,

Sorry to hear that you have a 6cm mass on your left kidney. The Urologist mostly will tell you that you need to remove whole kidney. There are two kind of Urologists. One can ONLY know how to operate "Open Surgery" and other can operate "Hand Assisted Laparoscopic Surgery". "Open Surgery" might need blood transfusion and it might have a bigger wound (from front to the back). It will take at least three months to recover. "Hand Assisted Laparoscopic Surgery" might not need blood transfusion and it might have about 4" wound above the belly button and two small holes (like less than one inch each left side, a little bit down left from the belly button). It will take two to four weeks to recover. Staying in Hospital: "Open Surgery" is about five days. "Hand Assisted Laparoscopic Surgery" is about two days.

I had my whole left kidney with 7cm mass inside removed last Oct. by "Hand Assisted Laparoscopic Surgery". The Urologist is very nice and he did a wonderful surgery. I was able to walk to parking garage (off site of the hospital) on the day of leaving the hospital. By the way, do you mind telling us how old are you ? I was sixty two at the time of surgery.

William

Last edited by William Y; 07-23-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
(male)

sag24fan HB User

William thank you. I am 44.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
(female)

MrsMary HB User

I am new here also. My Dr. found a renal mass in early may that measures 10 to 11 cm (depends on which report you are looking at). I am scheduled for surgery soon and find myself very apprehensive. I do not know what to expect but will be happy to share my thoughts after the surgery. In the meantime, HANG IN THERE!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
(male)

sag24fan HB User

Thanks for the kind words. I saw the doctor yesterday and go for my M R I tomorrow. My doctor says he s shooting the 9th for the surgery, I am very nervous about it but I am ready for it to come out. I hope and pray that everything goes well for you.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
(female)

MrsMary HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag24fan View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I saw the doctor yesterday and go for my M R I tomorrow. My doctor says he s shooting the 9th for the surgery, I am very nervous about it but I am ready for it to come out. I hope and pray that everything goes well for you.
My surgery is on the 9th. Guess we will find out at the same time. I, too, am ready for it to come out. The Dr. told me on May 10th that they chances of mine being cancer are 50 - 75%. Talk about stress! Please keep me posted on your progress. I will be thinking of you. We WILL get through this.

The following user gives a hug of support to MrsMary:
Nisky18 (07-30-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
(male)

sag24fan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMary View Post
My surgery is on the 9th. Guess we will find out at the same time. I, too, am ready for it to come out. The Dr. told me on May 10th that they chances of mine being cancer are 50 - 75%. Talk about stress! Please keep me posted on your progress. I will be thinking of you. We WILL get through this.
Yes we Will. My doc told me that it s only a 15% chance that it s not cancer, so I know what you r talking about when you say you r stressed out. Just wondering, are you in allot of pain with yours because I am.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
(female)

MrsMary HB User

I cannot honestly say I am in a lot of pain. Initially, I went to the Dr. because I thought there was something wrong with my stomach or the gallbladder was acting up. They ordered an abdomen ultrasound; found the mass on my kidney. I also have a mass on my ovary that will need to be removed -- the Drs. does not think they are related. The Dr. did say my stomach discomfort could be related to the kidney mass. I have had CT scans, MRIs, ultrasounds, xrays, a heart cath (turns out I didn't even need that one), a kidney flow test, blood work, and etc. With each test my stress level thermometer goes up! I do not think anyone can understand how scary this all is -- until you have to go through it. Please keep me posted on your testing and progress.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
(male)

sag24fan HB User

Yea my doctor told me the same thing my pain could be due to the mass on the kidney but he doesn't know. And you are so right, those who have never gone through it can ever understand that it is very scary. This is my first ever surgery and scary it is. I will defiantly keep you posted, I go for the MRI tomorrow.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #10
(female)

MrsMary HB User

My thoughts are with you today. The MRI is not difficult; just really boring. The trick is to lie very still and not move. I don't think I moved a muscle, because I did not want to have to redo the test. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #11
(male)

sag24fan HB User

Thanks MrsMary. I'll be leaving for the hospital soon, I'll let ya how things go. I was scared going into the c t scan and that turned out to be nothing, so I'm a bit more at ease going into this. But I thank you for your words of encouragement, it helps.

The following user gives a hug of support to sag24fan:
hello kitten (08-25-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to sag24fan For This Useful Post:
hello kitten (08-25-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
(female)

Nisky18 HB UserNisky18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag24fan View Post
Hey all, I'm new on here I was told yesterday that the mass on my left kidney is cancer (rcc) I'm being told that my kidney most likely will have to be removed. The mass is 6cm and has blood vesels attached to it which is supplying it with blood. I am going to see the urologist on Wendsay. I guess my question is, what can I expect when I go to the doctor? And If my kidney is removed, how long can I expect to be laid and out of work?
Hello. My renal cell cancer mass was 4 cm & although the surgeons prefer to remove the kidney, I wanted just the mass removed and the research I did showed that was acceptable for most tumors under 5 cm. The reality is that we go to sleep under anesthesia and don't know til we awaken what was found when we were opened up. I was lucky and a partial nephrectomy was performed July 14, 2011. My cancer was found by accident, I had no symptoms at all. From what I've read, the healing process is different for everyone whether you've had a partial or full nephrectomy. A lot depends on your general health and weight. After removal of a kidney it's important to keep yourself as healthy as you can so you don't unduly tax the remaining kidney. Good luck. Accept the good wishes and assistance of family and friends. Be grateful for life and the internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nisky18 For This Useful Post:
MrsMary (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
(male)

sag24fan HB User

Thanks. I'm glad things worked out the way it did for you. I have been told there gonna have to take the whole kidney and I should be in the hospital for about a week. And your right about family and friends and I am very grateful to have a great family and some really good friends that have and will be there for me. And finding this website with it's message boards has helped as well.

The following user gives a hug of support to sag24fan:
MrsMary (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
(female)

Nisky18 HB UserNisky18 HB User

I'm sending good wishes and healing thoughts. At 44 you're fairly young so keep healthy post surgery. You're lucky to have lots of family help. I don't. My brother died in '07 and my 87 yr old mom is sick and lives 200 miles away. My two teenaged children are..well..teens. they helped a little but my friends have been remarkable, cooking and shopping for me. Hang in there and focus on good things with healing.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Nisky18
MrsMary (07-30-2011), sag24fan (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
(female)

MrsMary HB User

Hi: How are you feeling in general? Are you able to work around this house, drive, or do laundry yet? I am a realtor and need to work every day -- no work, no pay. I am concerned about how long it will be before I can get back to some sort of normal life.

Closed Thread