It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

Frances Kate HB User
Post Nephrectomy Swelling?

Hello! Suddenly I find myself on a new Board having had radical nephrectomy of left kidney one week ago. Home from hospital and managing pain alright, but I am worried about the massive swelling of the abdomen. Has anyone experienced this? It seems to deflate somewhat and then inflate again. I look quite pregnant and wondered when I might expect some relief? This has been a rapid process since 12 cm mass detected on CT scan 10 days ago. Fortunately, cancer confined to kidney tumor with nodes and margins clear. I value any advice/guidance you may provide. Many, many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Post Nephrectomy Swelling?

First of all, I would call your surgeon first thing in AM to tell him/her about the abdominal swelling. There could be 2 things contributing to it: You now have one kidney having to work the load of two, and you may be getting some ascites, fluid buildup in the abdominal cavity. This can occur until the remaining kidney gets used to handling the extra work load of getting rid of excess fluid and toxins. A diuretic can be used to help get that swelling down, prescribed by your Dr. There may also be some gas buildup in GI tract, as the GI tract stops moving after surgery for a few days, and gas and stool can build up, causing distention. This usually clears up after a few days to a week, so try to let the gas pass and keep track of BMs to make sure you are having them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread