It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2003, 05:29 PM   #1

MichelleP HB User
Update on Step Dad - Diagnosed mid August

Some of you may remember my posting about my step dad (70 years old) in mid August. He was admitted into the hospital for pneumonia and came home with a terminal diagnosis - non small cell lung cancer (stage iv) with liver and bone metastasis. He was told he had up to 5 months if he didn't receive Chemo and possibly a year with Chemo. (He had already been diagnosed with Asbestosis and Silicosis years ago.)

The cancer doctors look at him in astonishment. His different blood levels are remarkably out of whack yet he continues to fight. He has lost so much weight that his skin is just hanging. He has almost finished 3 months of Chemo and in 2 weeks they are going to re-test to see if there has been any progress. His anemia and iron deficiency is not being controlled by Procrit shots and iron tablets and they are starting blood transfusions next week. Bless his heart - he is so sick yet fighting so hard, almost like he's praying for a miracle.

Has anyone had a family member or friend have to have blood transfusions due to bone metastasis? From what my mother has told me, the anemia is so severe due to the damage to the bones (all over the body) and their inability to make bone marrow. I'm wondering what these blood transfusions could do to his prognosis. I want him to live as long as he possibly can, but it's so hard wondering how long he has. I almost wish they could tell us an exact date.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. God Bless everyone who is going through a difficult time.

~Michelle

The following user gives a hug of support to MichelleP:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to MichelleP For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2003, 12:00 AM   #2

Nancy Lou HB User
re blood trsnsfusion

The transfusion will make him feel better almost imedietly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP
Some of you may remember my posting about my step dad (70 years old) in mid August. He was admitted into the hospital for pneumonia and came home with a terminal diagnosis - non small cell lung cancer (stage iv) with liver and bone metastasis. He was told he had up to 5 months if he didn't receive Chemo and possibly a year with Chemo. (He had already been diagnosed with Asbestosis and Silicosis years ago.)

The cancer doctors look at him in astonishment. His different blood levels are remarkably out of whack yet he continues to fight. He has lost so much weight that his skin is just hanging. He has almost finished 3 months of Chemo and in 2 weeks they are going to re-test to see if there has been any progress. His anemia and iron deficiency is not being controlled by Procrit shots and iron tablets and they are starting blood transfusions next week. Bless his heart - he is so sick yet fighting so hard, almost like he's praying for a miracle.

Has anyone had a family member or friend have to have blood transfusions due to bone metastasis? From what my mother has told me, the anemia is so severe due to the damage to the bones (all over the body) and their inability to make bone marrow. I'm wondering what these blood transfusions could do to his prognosis. I want him to live as long as he possibly can, but it's so hard wondering how long he has. I almost wish they could tell us an exact date.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. God Bless everyone who is going through a difficult time.

~Michelle

The following user gives a hug of support to Nancy Lou:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy Lou For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread