It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 06:23 AM   #1

M4dmartin HB User
Unhappy What Should We Expect

First time posting - My dad was admitted into the hospital 6 weeks ago and was diagnosed with Stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer 3 weeks ago. He is 67 years old and was a heavy smoker from the age of 15 until 60. He has it in both lungs and it has mestastized to his hip and spine. He received two weeks of radiation but we were told a week ago that further radiation and/or chemotherapy will not be attempted due to the progression of his cancer. Although normal prognosis is 4-6 months we are probably looking at 6-8 weeks due to his aggressive cancer and declining health (he also has emphysema and a history of pulmonary/respiratory ailments). My mom signed a DNR last week so we could get him home with hospice by next week. He is not on an IV fluids and eats very little (no feeding tube). He wears an oxygen mask, has developed a bed sore and is totally bedridden at this time. He has been receiving repiratory treatments to help with the congestion he has in his lungs. Yesterday his breathing has become extremely shallow and rapid (around 50 reps per minute). They tried to insert a tube through the nose to the lungs to suction out the congestion but it is too thick. I think he is developing pneumonia but he is not running a fever. His skin color is turning yellowish - I believe a sign of anemia since his nutrion is well below desireable. He is currently in a rehab/terminal care facility but I suspect he may be moved into a hospital ICU soon to deal with his health problems. My sisters and mother are questioning if he will make it home at this point. I guess I am looking to see if anyone can give me some insight/advise at this point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2003, 01:25 PM   #2

ChazzyBear HB User
Re: What Should We Expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4dmartin
First time posting - My dad was admitted into the hospital 6 weeks ago and was diagnosed with Stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer 3 weeks ago. He is 67 years old and was a heavy smoker from the age of 15 until 60. He has it in both lungs and it has mestastized to his hip and spine. He received two weeks of radiation but we were told a week ago that further radiation and/or chemotherapy will not be attempted due to the progression of his cancer. Although normal prognosis is 4-6 months we are probably looking at 6-8 weeks due to his aggressive cancer and declining health (he also has emphysema and a history of pulmonary/respiratory ailments). My mom signed a DNR last week so we could get him home with hospice by next week. He is not on an IV fluids and eats very little (no feeding tube). He wears an oxygen mask, has developed a bed sore and is totally bedridden at this time. He has been receiving repiratory treatments to help with the congestion he has in his lungs. Yesterday his breathing has become extremely shallow and rapid (around 50 reps per minute). They tried to insert a tube through the nose to the lungs to suction out the congestion but it is too thick. I think he is developing pneumonia but he is not running a fever. His skin color is turning yellowish - I believe a sign of anemia since his nutrion is well below desireable. He is currently in a rehab/terminal care facility but I suspect he may be moved into a hospital ICU soon to deal with his health problems. My sisters and mother are questioning if he will make it home at this point. I guess I am looking to see if anyone can give me some insight/advise at this point.

IAM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MIS FORTUNES.. HUGS AND KISSES FOR YOUR DAD AND LOTS OF PRAYERS...TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME.
I can not give you anyinfo as we are not this far into the game with Mom. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress with your Dad...

Old 11-28-2003, 07:30 AM   #3

Shirleyg HB User

Your Dad and Family will be in my Prayers.
Shirley

Old 11-29-2003, 10:29 PM   #4

M4dmartin HB User
Unhappy Re: What Should We Expect

It is with a heavy heart that I report my dad passed away Thanksgiving morning. At least his suffering has ended and we did not have to endure a long period of watching him endure such pain. He never did develop the Pneumonia I was so worried about and he was never moved to ICU. He just slipped into a coma and passed away 12 hours later. It just happened so quickly - he was in the hospital for only 6 1/2 weeks. Maybe that was a blessing?

Old 12-01-2003, 06:12 AM   #5

ChazzyBear HB User

M4dmartin,
So Sorry to hear about your Dad, but please hold on to those special moments and know that he is in a better place know---no sufferring----
May GLod Bless you and your family
Chaz

Old 12-01-2003, 07:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in your time of sorrow

Old 12-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

Very sorry to hear of your loss M4dmartin - my prayers are with you. Your posting may have just saved my life from lung cancer and I promise to pass this on to my friends that smoke as well.

Laurie

Closed Thread