It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2003, 08:03 AM   #1

mephoto HB User
Spread to the brain

Hello everyone,

Dad was admitted to the hospice unit again yesterday. The nurses tell us the cancer most likely spread to the brain. I don't know if you remember my story, dad is 60yrs. old, a non smoker, and has NSCLC adenocarcinoma that spread to the bone, then back to the lung. His doc gave him 2 months 6 weeks ago. As of yesterday, he is forgetting where he is, he can be sleeping and then all of a sudden jump out of bed and not know where he is. When he wakes up he talks about things that have happened many years ago, he was talking about the Acadamy Awards and Marilyn Monroe winning. I thought this might be the medicine, the nurses say no, it's probably the cancer in the brain. He's also had slurred speach the past few days. It's so strange because it all hit within two days. Has anyone experienced this with a loved one? My guess would be that he has about a week left. Does anyone agree or disagree? I would love to hear any input that anyone can provide. This forum has been so helpful the past few months, I want to thank you all for your advice and kind supportive words. I would just like to know what to expect durnig these final days.
K.

The following user gives a hug of support to mephoto:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to mephoto For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 11-29-2003, 02:59 AM   #2
(female)

Lindaanne HB User
Re: Spread to the brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphoto
Hello everyone,

Dad was admitted to the hospice unit again yesterday. The nurses tell us the cancer most likely spread to the brain. I don't know if you remember my story, dad is 60yrs. old, a non smoker, and has NSCLC adenocarcinoma that spread to the bone, then back to the lung. His doc gave him 2 months 6 weeks ago. As of yesterday, he is forgetting where he is, he can be sleeping and then all of a sudden jump out of bed and not know where he is. When he wakes up he talks about things that have happened many years ago, he was talking about the Acadamy Awards and Marilyn Monroe winning. I thought this might be the medicine, the nurses say no, it's probably the cancer in the brain. He's also had slurred speach the past few days. It's so strange because it all hit within two days. Has anyone experienced this with a loved one? My guess would be that he has about a week left. Does anyone agree or disagree? I would love to hear any input that anyone can provide. This forum has been so helpful the past few months, I want to thank you all for your advice and kind supportive words. I would just like to know what to expect durnig these final days.
K.
Hi My step father had the same Lung cancer that spread to his brain. He got to the stage of being in kind of a semi coma and then just stopped breathing in his sleep. The end end went quickly thank god and it seems he was only in that really bad state for a week. It was a very long sad road that 8 years later it feels like it was yesterday. He was a life long smoker also. I myself was also. I quit 2 years ago thank god and if cigarettes were wiped off the face of the earth many people wouldn't suffer lose their lives and families wouldn't be ruined.
I hope things go peacefully for you and your dad. You are in my prayers.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lindaanne:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lindaanne For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2003, 09:00 AM   #3

tommy1212 HB User

go to the web site, (crossingthecreek.com) here it explains the dying process in words you can understand. It helped me very much.

The following user gives a hug of support to tommy1212:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to tommy1212 For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 06-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
(female)

Mmshelll HB User

my aunt was diagnost w/lung cancer 2 wks ago and they were testing her to see if it spread - today they told her that the cancer had spread to her brain and they admitted her to the hospital and she will be there for 4-5 days for Radiation therapy. Not sure if it is normal to keep them in the hospital for radiation or if that is because it has spread so fast. She just started getting forgetful the past few weeks and right around the time they found the lump on her lung. I would appreciate any info you can give. Not sure how seriouse this is as far as survival rate, etc. Thanks for the info and I wish you both well wished to you and your families.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mmshelll:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mmshelll For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 06-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
(male)

sportzjunkee25 HB User

My mom had nsclc it had spread to her brain she did radiation and her brain eventually cleared......my mom was diagnosed in October of '04 and passed away May 8.....my mom was always very sharp....but the chemo and the radiation did take a toll......she also became very forgetful talked about things that happened years ago like it was today, and talked about things that didnt make sense....after several different medication regimens we finally figured out it was the medication causing this....between the anti seizure medicine the gemzar tarceva oxycontin....it was taking a toll on her mentally....at first we were'nt sure but after her brain scan came back clear her doctor was positive that she was just very sensitive to all the medication...her last 2 days she slipped into a semi coma and passed away in her sleep...... the doctor is just giving you a prognosis on what he has encountered before....everyone is different....if you think the medication is causing the symptoms talk to your doctor about possibly lowereing some of them or stopping some of them.....when my mom finally got off gemzar she was much much better mentally.........There is a difficult balance to find for the patient....keep them in as little pain as possible without putting them completely out of it mentally.....The doctor just has to keep a close tab on medication and you should also.....hope i could be of help....my thoughts and prayers are with you

The following user gives a hug of support to sportzjunkee25:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sportzjunkee25 For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 06-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
(female)

PBobntissy HB User

hi my husband was diagnosed with nslc stage 4 adenocarcinoma and it to spread to his brain, they took some of the tumor off then it started growing inside they then did ten days of radiation, we found out december or 2003 that he had it , we just lost my dad to the same thing in june 2003,, we found out it had spread to his bones and organs, he went quickly , my husband is 38 and he two talks about things that happen a long time ago, they also did diffrent chemo on his lung, it just helps slow the cancer down, but yes forgetfulness and sluggish speech and stumbling is all part of it plus the medicine i have found if to strong can also cause some of this

Old 06-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
(female)

RitaB HB User

In 1982, my mother's lung cancer spread to her brain and she slowly sank deeper and deeper into a sleep as fluid filled her lungs, until she finally slipped away under the influence of morphine.

My sister (dx with nsclc in Nov 02), on the other hand, was declared that her lung cancer was terminal a year ago b/c it had spread to her brain. Hospice was called in and has been coming once a week for a year. The first evidence was a seizure which has slowly increased even with increasing her meds. She has oxygen and uses it sometimes when her breathing gets bad. She is supposed to be completely bed and wheelchair bound but she still walks around the house (with occassional falls) and goes out to eat (with the help of her husband of course) almost nightly if she isn't watching her grandkids. She has lost a lot of hearing in one ear, has almost no strength in her grip, has bouts of slurring and tends to loose focus at times (but not too bad). She has been advised to check into a hospice facility - that it was time. She refuses. But her swelling is what is so bad. I have never seen anyone so swollen as she is. She has blisters (water blisters) on her legs and they will burst and water will just pour down her legs and into her shoes. She bruises so easily and her arms and legs are so red and bruised from bumping into things. But she refuses to give up. Her breathing is more labored, she has a permanent crick in her neck now, but she eats a lot (could be from meds). This is so different from my mother 33 yrs ago. She just refuses to give in and give up.

Just wanted to share. We know the end is not far, but with my sister it is probably much further than it would be for most.

Rita B

Closed Thread