It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #1

mephoto HB User
Dad passed on Thanksgiving morning

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that my dad passed away on Thanksgiving morning with mom and his 3 kids all holding his hands. He was admitted to the hospice on Tuesday at 10am, by noon on Wednesday his doctor said that he only had a couple of hours left. Dad lasted throughout the night, he was very fidgity and uncomfortable all night. I stood next to his bed from 11pm till 4am the next morning, he was concious but couldn't talk much. He did know we were there, he kept trying to get up out of bed but the nurses wanted him just sitting or laying. My sister took over from 4am till 5am holding his hands then she layed down for a nap and dad was still fighting it. At 6am Thursday morning dad took a big gasp for air, my brother jumped up, the nurse came in and dad was unresponsive. We all woke up and dad was so peaceful. He layed in his bed, he wasn't fighting a thing, he was sleeping so comfortably. He breathed slowly, his heart beat rapidly and his color slowly changed. It brought such peace to me knowing that he was not struggling. He took his last breath at 6:20am. It's been so difficult for us ever since. We buried dad on my birthday this past Monday. It was a very sad day for me. A strange thing happened though on that day. We were all in the car procession lined up at the funeral parlor in the limo's. Dad was being placed in the hearse and suddenly out of no where a half blown up mylar balloon came flying above our limo, it landed about 20 feet away, it swirled on the ground in the wind then a wind gust came and blew it up over a garage across the street. As the balloon was swirling on the ground my sister and I both looked at each other and couldn't believe it, the balloon said 'Happy Birthday'. A few other people in the car procession saw it too. That brought such comfort to me, I know dad is still with me and he will watch over me for the rest of my life. That incident made me believe.

Thank you for all of your prayers! I will check back periodically to see how you are all doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily.
K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
Re: Dad passed on Thanksgiving morning

I'm so sorry. Your post made me cry, thinking about how I missed out on being there when my dad died (he was 62).

You certainly should take comfort in knowing he is with you always. It has been 10 years since my dad passed and I still get occasional signs! Stay strong. God bless.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 PM   #3

littletinkerbell HB User

I'm so sorry medphoto. I know how you are feeling i lost my dad the same way in march this year i do believe your dad is with you and always will be, we got signs from my dad to say he was still here to. You keep strong you have been through the worse now be proud you did everything you could for him he will thank you one day for it.. keep his love close to your heart.. and take care.. you are in my thoughts....maggie

Old 12-08-2003, 11:50 AM   #4

trinker HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphoto
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that my dad passed away on Thanksgiving morning with mom and his 3 kids all holding his hands. He was admitted to the hospice on Tuesday at 10am, by noon on Wednesday his doctor said that he only had a couple of hours left. Dad lasted throughout the night, he was very fidgity and uncomfortable all night. I stood next to his bed from 11pm till 4am the next morning, he was concious but couldn't talk much. He did know we were there, he kept trying to get up out of bed but the nurses wanted him just sitting or laying. My sister took over from 4am till 5am holding his hands then she layed down for a nap and dad was still fighting it. At 6am Thursday morning dad took a big gasp for air, my brother jumped up, the nurse came in and dad was unresponsive. We all woke up and dad was so peaceful. He layed in his bed, he wasn't fighting a thing, he was sleeping so comfortably. He breathed slowly, his heart beat rapidly and his color slowly changed. It brought such peace to me knowing that he was not struggling. He took his last breath at 6:20am. It's been so difficult for us ever since. We buried dad on my birthday this past Monday. It was a very sad day for me. A strange thing happened though on that day. We were all in the car procession lined up at the funeral parlor in the limo's. Dad was being placed in the hearse and suddenly out of no where a half blown up mylar balloon came flying above our limo, it landed about 20 feet away, it swirled on the ground in the wind then a wind gust came and blew it up over a garage across the street. As the balloon was swirling on the ground my sister and I both looked at each other and couldn't believe it, the balloon said 'Happy Birthday'. A few other people in the car procession saw it too. That brought such comfort to me, I know dad is still with me and he will watch over me for the rest of my life. That incident made me believe.

Thank you for all of your prayers! I will check back periodically to see how you are all doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily.
K.

Medphoto,

I'm so very sad to here about your dad, but he is in a better place now without any pain. I'm glad that you and your family got to send time with him. Remember all the good times that you had, keep them in your heart, and when you are sad think about all those times, they will help you smile through the tears.

T.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:41 PM   #5
(female)

kini23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphoto
Hello everyone,

K.
My prayers are with you. Your story made me cry as well. Sometimes its so hard to believe and have faith and when I hear stories like yours it gives me hope. thanks

Old 12-11-2003, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

My sympathies you have medphoto - I'll have to remember not to read some of these posts at work - prob. look like a raccoon by now. lol

I just think that is a definite sign and just SO NEAT - I bet that literally made your birthday without a doubt. I'm sure it was him.

Laurie

Closed Thread