It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #1

bleubird HB User
Unhappy oh my .... is there anything

I can do/ suggest maybe? My uncle found out Thanksgiving he had cancer. It was in his lungs and spread to his brain. They just now found it also all down is spine. Is there anything but be there for him? I'm so upset..... I don't want to ask him ...... I don't want to even think about it ....... but ..... with this spread so much is treatment even something that is going to help him? His lungs they said are pretty well full with it. They found 25 tumors in his brain and now all this now his spine

Old 12-11-2003, 05:24 AM   #2

mephoto HB User
Re: oh my .... is there anything

Bleubird,

I am so sorry to hear about your uncle...I would suggest contacting hospice, they will be able to answer all of your questions and get your uncle enrolled into the program. In the meantime I would encourage you to talk with your uncle. Tell him how much you love him and how much you will be there for him. He is probably so scared. The more you comfort him and be there for him the easier it will be for him to go through the next days, weeks or months.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 05:14 PM   #3

bleubird HB User
Unhappy Re: oh my .... is there anything

Weeks?? Can it really go that fast Oh wow ..... I guess maybe we should have a serious talk I haven't wanted to really talk about this area. He is in such high hopes (atleast on the outside) He has no doubt that he won't beat this. He's already told us he wants his head shaved. He doesn't want the hair falling out during chemo. He wants to go ahead and get rid of it now. He is talking about the party he'll be doing at his house over New Years. OH wow.... I guess he's in denial also....... I don't know should I leave it like that then? I don't know where I should be going with this.... we are so close (he's more like my dad) I guess I want to be in denial with him......

I know his cancer started in the lungs and went to his brain it is now in his spine and bones.

Last edited by bleubird; 12-11-2003 at 05:19 PM.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:43 PM   #4

rainbowgrl HB User

The time frame depends on the person and whether or not the treatment works. If your uncles chemo works for him he may have gained substantial time, Plus there are new drugs coming out in the near future. Make sure your uncle continues to stay positive that is half the battle.

Why is it at least one reply on every post here is about contacting hospice. If I had a full remission from lung cancer and fell and broke my leg and posted here on what I should do, inevitably I would get I should "contact hospice."

Not everybody drops dead the day after diagnosis, there are many stage IV(4) that are alive and doing well a year or more after diagnosis.

Kristi

Last edited by Administrator; 12-15-2003 at 03:55 PM. Reason: no need to be critical of others

Old 12-12-2003, 05:33 AM   #5

mephoto HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleubird
Weeks?? Can it really go that fast Oh wow ..... I guess maybe we should have a serious talk I haven't wanted to really talk about this area. He is in such high hopes (atleast on the outside) He has no doubt that he won't beat this. He's already told us he wants his head shaved. He doesn't want the hair falling out during chemo. He wants to go ahead and get rid of it now. He is talking about the party he'll be doing at his house over New Years. OH wow.... I guess he's in denial also....... I don't know should I leave it like that then? I don't know where I should be going with this.... we are so close (he's more like my dad) I guess I want to be in denial with him......

I know his cancer started in the lungs and went to his brain it is now in his spine and bones.

Bluebird,
I didn't mean to scare you. I only know what my dad went through, he had everything you had mentioned and he lived for a few months like this. My dad was a fighter and fought till the very end. I hope things are better for your uncle. It is very important to stay strong for him and it sounds like he is a very strong man. I pray he does go into remission and all of his treatments work for him. When I was going through all of this with dad, I needed the facts layed out on the table, positive and negative, if it all turned out positive that was great, but if it was negative, I needed to know, I did not want to be shocked. All of the statistics are against your uncle, but with the positive attitude he has, the support of you and your family, and the new treatments available for lung cancer today there is always hope. I suggest hospice if none of the above work, the nurses in the program are a great source of knowledge and information. My thoughts and prayers are with you...please keep us posted.
K.

Old 12-12-2003, 08:11 AM   #6

bleubird HB User

Thanks,

I guess it wasn't really a shock. I know with no matter what stage of cancer, or with anything else really, there is always that chance. I just guess I didn't want to admit that either. It kind of like that belief, This only happens in other families.... I'm going back down to Pa over the weekend. I'm in Ohio. I can only stay down there with him a few days. I've talked to him almost everyday but I want to see him again for myself. He says he feels fine and that he sees no reason for him to stay in the hospital. He's been having seizures with all this. They are keeping him, not sure for how long. But I feel better that he's there. I wouldn't trust him to stay home He's always off and running. And he owns a 73 acre farm. So even if he wondered off into his own property we'd have a hard time finding him. He gets really confused right now. He woke up the one day and started yelling that people changed his bed room while he was sleeping, (He forgot he was in the hospital) he ordered the nurses out of his house. He was really mad all these people "broke" into his home. But once hes really awake he's ok. I'm going to call down in a bit, I just reliezed with everyone say the differant stages of cancer I don't know what he is! Maybe I'm sure parinod! I am assuming that since he has it in so many places he's really up there in stages.....
is 4 the highest stage?
Thanks again

The following user gives a hug of support to bleubird:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to bleubird For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 12-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #7

mephoto HB User

Yes, in lung cancer Stage IV is the highest. What that means is that the cancer has traveled from the primary site, and in this case it has. It went from the lung to the brain and bone (if it is in the spine). So this would make your uncle have stage IV. You can do a google search learn about the different types of lung cancer. Or visit *****.com and learn about it there. There are two kinds of lung cancer, small cell and non-small cell, and from them you can break it down to different cellular types. In my dad's case he had Non-small cell adenocarcinoma with mets to the bone, which made him a stage IV. I hope everything goes well with your visit, the positive attitude can only help!
K.

The following user gives a hug of support to mephoto:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to mephoto For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread