It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2003, 05:50 PM   #1

pentex HB User
Iressa update

Haven't been on the boards for a while. My MIL has Stage IIIB Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. She went through chemo/radiation with very little benefit and very much harm. After all treatment was done, in August, the dr. suggested she try Iressa. I know that the has side effects and a low success rate, so we weren't overly optimistic. Well, almost five months later I can say it has done a lot of good for her.

Here's the bad: At first, she got a bad skin rash similar to acne on her face but the dr. gave her a med to stop that and it is mostly under control. She has occasional diarrhea but nothing bad.

Here's the good: She no longer wheezes. She has gained back 12 of the 20 lbs. she lost in chemo. She has resumed a completely independent life...shops, gardens, cooks, socializes, etc.

It is like a miracle to see her old self come back to us. I never thought I'd see this part of her again, so every day that this continues to help is a joy. We certainly hope there are many more days to come...

Just thought I'd let you all know that there are some success stories.....

Old 12-15-2003, 06:37 AM   #2

mephoto HB User
Re: Iressa update

pentex,

What a great story, I pray your MIL keeps feeling well. It is so nice to hear the positive stories of lung cancer. We all get in the rut of hearing the negative so to hear a positive puts a smile on my face. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.
K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2003, 03:07 PM   #3

poe0020 HB User
Re: Iressa update

when she was diagnosed what was the life expectancy they gave you. My mom is in the same stage. Doesnt know if she wants chemo. When they tell you 6 months is that pretty accurate. I cant stop crying, I am so mad, confused, depressed.

Closed Thread