It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2003, 02:21 AM   #1
(female)

kiddo HB User
Angry Spread of cancer

My Dad was diagnosed last week with early stage lung cancer. Has 2 nodes, one of 2cm and other size of pea. Told they are large cell type.

He is currently waiting for lung capacity test and chemical test. I am wondering how quickly such nodes may grow in only a few weeks, and then spread through the body. Doctor thinks it is confined, but further testing will confirm this.

With Doctor going on Holidays till mid January, all we can do is hope that the nodes do not grow and spread.

Would really appreciate comments and also how others have coped with the diagnosis 'i have cancer'. How do we tell people? How do we go about day to day knowing this is now part of our lives.

Thank you!

Old 12-22-2003, 05:43 AM   #2

mephoto HB User
Re: Spread of cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddo
My Dad was diagnosed last week with early stage lung cancer. Has 2 nodes, one of 2cm and other size of pea. Told they are large cell type.

He is currently waiting for lung capacity test and chemical test. I am wondering how quickly such nodes may grow in only a few weeks, and then spread through the body. Doctor thinks it is confined, but further testing will confirm this.

With Doctor going on Holidays till mid January, all we can do is hope that the nodes do not grow and spread.

Would really appreciate comments and also how others have coped with the diagnosis 'i have cancer'. How do we tell people? How do we go about day to day knowing this is now part of our lives.

Thank you!
Hi Kiddo,

It sound like you may have caught the cancer early which is a good sign. Not much spreading will happen over the next few weeks or so. Check out some of the lung cancer web sites, you will learn a lot of technical info. and it might ease your mind for a while while the holidays pass. Lung cancer is an ugly disease but if caught early you have the best chance of a much longer life expectancy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad during the holiday season. Do a little research on the internet, ***** is good or lungcancer.org
K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
(female)

kiddo HB User

The results of the tests were a shock. From being told its 'early stage' less than a week prior, we were told on Christmas Eve that he had stage IV cancer that had spread to the bones and shoulder. For the first few days after, I think we were all in a blur while it sunk in.

What happened to stage 1, 2a, 2b and 3. He missed all those. Scans he had on his back over the last month were also clear.

My Dad's only symptoms were weight loss and a burning sensation in his leg. That's it...that could have been symptoms of a multitude of things. He even went to a Physio. He is otherwise a healthy and fit man. The lung function test result was excellent. The day before he found out he had cancer, he was swimming laps in the pool.

This past week we have started radiotherapy and in a few weeks time chemo will commence. After that, trials. In the meantime we are all ensuring he maintains his fitness, eats healthy foods, and thinks positive.

My Dad is never ever one to give up. He has a fantastic support crew behind him.

There are no textbook symptoms of lung cancer from what I read..trust your own body and test, retest and keep informed. We did all we could as soon as we could and will continue to do so.

Stay strong
Dad's number one fan

Old 01-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #4

tryingtofeelgood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddo
The results of the tests were a shock. From being told its 'early stage' less than a week prior, we were told on Christmas Eve that he had stage IV cancer that had spread to the bones and shoulder. For the first few days after, I think we were all in a blur while it sunk in.

What happened to stage 1, 2a, 2b and 3. He missed all those. Scans he had on his back over the last month were also clear.

My Dad's only symptoms were weight loss and a burning sensation in his leg. That's it...that could have been symptoms of a multitude of things. He even went to a Physio. He is otherwise a healthy and fit man. The lung function test result was excellent. The day before he found out he had cancer, he was swimming laps in the pool.

This past week we have started radiotherapy and in a few weeks time chemo will commence. After that, trials. In the meantime we are all ensuring he maintains his fitness, eats healthy foods, and thinks positive.

My Dad is never ever one to give up. He has a fantastic support crew behind him.

There are no textbook symptoms of lung cancer from what I read..trust your own body and test, retest and keep informed. We did all we could as soon as we could and will continue to do so.

Stay strong
Dad's number one fan
please do a search on transfer factor T cells, stem cell transfer, and immunoglobulin iv therapy. i am suffering from bone infections, nothing like your dear father, who i am praying for. you are all in my thoughts and prayers and i agree that nutrition and exercise play a role. he may not be physically able to do that soon and that's OK - he'll need to rest to fight infections. sometimes the above therapies are a terrific adjunt to up the immune system when ones own starts to fail a bit. I was a very healthy young woman before I got ill 2 years ago. Keep thinking positive and stay IN THE MOMENT. But, do a LOT of research and email/call/ get info from whomever you think might have some.

Happy and HEALTHY New year to you and yours.

Old 01-04-2004, 07:09 AM   #5

greatkhan HB User

I wish the best of luck to your father. Cancer is a menace. The only thing your dad and your family can do is give the support he needs, which is excellent you are doing.

Was he a smoker? Im sure if your father trys to stay as fit as possible, keeps a high attitude and a positive attitude he can live as long as possible.

Never lose hope. Never.

Old 01-04-2004, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

kiddo HB User

I appreciate your comments. Yes, Dad is an ex-smoker. Smoked a packet of cigarettes a day for 30 years..until he quit smoking 10 years ago. Since then he dislikes even the smell of cigarettes.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:45 PM   #7

tri 03 HB User

First off- never be afraid to talk about these types of feelings and fears with friends, etc - who ever you need to in order to be as strong as you can when you are with your dad.

Short background- '97- dad was diagnosed with melanoma- had numerous surgeries throughout the last 5 years bc it would keep coming back- went through interfuron, went through a test drug (we are still not sure what it was to this day)-----we thought he was finally cancer free - he became an avid runner- and did his first half marathon a week before being diagnosed with lung cancer (never a smoker, but the cancer spread). This past Oct he had half of his lung removed-(suffered and recovered from a staph infection- very scary after such a major surgery) and underwent 20 treatments of radiation.
This month- he is back on the treadmill- he started with a mile and hopes to work up again- but that is better than nothing.

My point in telling you this - be strong, have faith and know that there are great doctors out there who will not stop at anything to nurse our loved ones back to health. It takes time and I will not lie to you- there are very trying times-----but also use them to be suportive of each- and grow closer together.

And please please wear sunscreen- sometimes I think people hate going to the beach with me bc I am so avid about it for me and for them---believe it or not- you still get just tan and it does less damage in the end

best of luck to your dad and your family in overcoming his illness.

Last edited by tri 03; 01-06-2004 at 12:45 PM.

Closed Thread