It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
(male)

abman HB User
Marijuana and Lung Cancer

Hello, I am doing some personal research, and would like some honest answers. I've heard that both sides of the ongoing argument as to whether or not marijuana can cause lung cancer. Instead of relying exclusively on contradicting scientific studies, I am looking for actual personal experiences. My question is, out of those of you out there with lung cancer, how many smoked solely marijuana and nothing else? How many people did not smoke tabacco or marijuana and got it anyway?

Thank you guys.

Old 01-04-2004, 07:15 AM   #2

greatkhan HB User
Re: Marijuana and Lung Cancer

Well, i will be blunt. Marijuana is more dangerous than tobacco, it contains just as many, if not more carcogenics (the nasty chemicals)

The common chemicals which cause the cancer are not actually in the marijuana but in the lighter (butane). If smoking, do not inhale the first pull as this will contain the most butane.

However, marijuana its self is not smoked as much as cigarettes, the average smoker will take 2 maybe 3 joints maximum daily (this is a chronic user) however most users would stick to 2 or 3 a week!

In comparison, a severe chronic marijuana smoker (one whome smokes 20 joints a day) is at far greater risk of cancer than a severe chronic smoker who smokes the same amount of tobacco. However scientific research is bare on smoking/cancer links.

The point being, yes marijuana does cause cancer, even worse than that of tobacco. Yet take into account that marijuana is not smoked as much as the high lasts for a good 3 hours and most users do not even smoke daily as it is not a physically addictive drug.

This does not mean it is not dangerous, it poses dangerous mental health risks in heavy users susspetable to something like schizophrenia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abman
Hello, I am doing some personal research, and would like some honest answers. I've heard that both sides of the ongoing argument as to whether or not marijuana can cause lung cancer. Instead of relying exclusively on contradicting scientific studies, I am looking for actual personal experiences. My question is, out of those of you out there with lung cancer, how many smoked solely marijuana and nothing else? How many people did not smoke tabacco or marijuana and got it anyway?

Thank you guys.
One average joint = 12 brand name cigarettes such as Reds, Camels, etc. If you smoke 3 joints in one day you have the equvilent of a pack and a half of full bodied cigarette. Marijuana is highly addictive to certain people. The withdrawal symptoms are loss of appetite, irritability, insomnia, nausea, vomiting that is extreme enough to drive the smoker back to using to limit the withdrawal symptoms. That is pretty much what defines addiction to most chemicals. The carcinogins in marijuana that is grown hydroponically, or with the highly specialized chemicals to create product in an abundance are as dangerous as or more so to the lungs. In addition, the possibility of lung cancer is the least of the worry. Emphysema and other respiratory failure is even more likely leading to addiction to inhalants and other extreme methods to try to force air into shriveled up bronchial tubes.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:15 AM   #4
(male)

abman HB User

Sorry but I have to shake my head at the misinformation shown in this thread. The study which states marijuana has "12 times as much carcogenics" as cigarettes is not fully accurate. I have read the full report you are talking about as well as four others that pass for plausible in the scientific world, and in small print it says they tested the amount of carcigens in the leaves and not the actual bud. Well no one smokes the leaves!

Anyway, I'm not looking for textbook propoganda - ahem, "information", nor effects of withdrawl, just personal experiences. If anyone here has smoked nothing but marijuana and has gotten lung cancer I would really appreciate it if they'd share their story.

Btw, lol @ "shriveled up bronchial tubes". You must be thinking of cigs again.

Last edited by abman; 01-07-2004 at 06:20 AM.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
(female)

Cintamani HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abman

Thank you guys.
Aloha, I have a large mass with roots growing in my left lung which was seen on an x-ray. Three years ago the mass was really small. I've been a heavy marijuana smoker my whole adult life, so it seems unlikely the mass getting bigger is from smoking M.
But, for the last year I've been working for 6 hours a week planting succulents, and it seems there are a lot of poisons that they put into the dirt and using root stuff also I just found out is poisonous. Come from a mother who was a heavy cigarette smoker, and lived in Ireland, and the pubs there had no ventilation. But, being around my mother and being in Ireland was a long long time ago. And, my little mass was discovered almost 3 years ago. I'm beginning to think it may be from the farm. I hope this helps you. I have never been a cigarette smoker, although I've smoked maybe ten cigarettes in my life and I'm 58. Sincerely, Cindy

Old 08-08-2005, 04:29 AM   #6
(male)

hardcharger HB User

Do a search on google for
lung cancer marijuana

and you will find that there are recent studies which conclude that there is no relationship between cancer and marijuana. Even though logic might tell you there is a correlation, the recent studies suprisingly do not conclude that. There was quite a bit of misinformation in the above posts. I myself have been a heavy marijuana smoker much of my adult life, (very successful and well-integrated with a normal life), and have been concerned myself. There is no relationship btn pot and emphysema by the way, someone above just made that up. Also the withdrawl described above, ridiculous, i have "withdrawn" myself from marijuana dozens of times with no real withdrawl symptoms whatsoever, except a general feeling of wanting pot. Of course, for some, like me, it is addictive, and can be habitually smoked everyday, and enjoyed, but the bottom line is that it really hasn't affected my life in a negative way. Without doubt, for me, the greatest side-effects to worry about are getting caught by law enforcement.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
(female)

Karen44 HB User

Marijuana is not a physical addiction it's a psychology addiction,you don't have DT'S from not having THC in your bloodstream,you don't freak out and want to steal to get more marijuana.
In every paper I have read regarding marijuana and lung cancer they can find no correlation between the two,they have however noticed that heavy marijuana smoking(3-5 joints aday) could likely be a factor in certain cancers of the mouth and throat!
People need to educate themselves!!

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Last edited by Karen44; 08-12-2005 at 11:07 AM.

Closed Thread