It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

mommzee HB User
My dear friend

She is 51, looks and acts 10 yrs younger. A divorced woman with a 10 year old. Has always taken care of herself, never smoked. Bronchitis this summer (no insurance, so went to clinic). Never did xray, just antibiotics.Never goes away, gets breathless. Fiance pays for an xray. See shadow. Wait for cat scan results. Legs hurt...blood clots. Hoping shadow is clot in lung? Stage 3 lung cancer. Took coumidin for clots, then started a few rounds of chemo. (This is all within the last 2 months)
Docs never give a prognosis, she plans to take daughter to disneyland during chemo break. In the meantime she tells me she has chemo brain...her words are getting screwed up. Do scan to see any prob in brain, she said they didn't. Monday night had severe stroke with hemorrage and seizure while in ER. Now she can't talk or move most of her body. She can sometimes squeeze my hand when I talk to her and can open her eyes at times, but I don't know if she sees me.

I've written all of this because I'm frustrated. Why didn't they see a sign in her brain before the stroke? Why didn't her oncologist tell her she had 6 months to live with the cancer?(Now he tells us this) She could have taken her little girl to Disneyland. Why has her family decided to put her on the 3rd floor where there is no hope for recovery? They are letting her die. No IV, no monitors, just morphine. Yes, I know either the stroke or cancer will eventually get her, but why can't they at least feed her with the IV? They say there is no Living Will. I KNOW my 15 year friend wants to live and would want any means to stay alive for her little girl.She just told me last week that she wants at least 5 more years.

I know alot of you are also in pain.....IT'S NOT FAIR.

Modmomm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User
Re: My dear friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmomm
She is 51, looks and acts 10 yrs younger. A divorced woman with a 10 year old. Has always taken care of herself, never smoked. Bronchitis this summer (no insurance, so went to clinic). Never did xray, just antibiotics.Never goes away, gets breathless. Fiance pays for an xray. See shadow. Wait for cat scan results. Legs hurt...blood clots. Hoping shadow is clot in lung? Stage 3 lung cancer. Took coumidin for clots, then started a few rounds of chemo. (This is all within the last 2 months)
Docs never give a prognosis, she plans to take daughter to disneyland during chemo break. In the meantime she tells me she has chemo brain...her words are getting screwed up. Do scan to see any prob in brain, she said they didn't. Monday night had severe stroke with hemorrage and seizure while in ER. Now she can't talk or move most of her body. She can sometimes squeeze my hand when I talk to her and can open her eyes at times, but I don't know if she sees me.

I've written all of this because I'm frustrated. Why didn't they see a sign in her brain before the stroke? Why didn't her oncologist tell her she had 6 months to live with the cancer?(Now he tells us this) She could have taken her little girl to Disneyland. Why has her family decided to put her on the 3rd floor where there is no hope for recovery? They are letting her die. No IV, no monitors, just morphine. Yes, I know either the stroke or cancer will eventually get her, but why can't they at least feed her with the IV? They say there is no Living Will. I KNOW my 15 year friend wants to live and would want any means to stay alive for her little girl.She just told me last week that she wants at least 5 more years.

I know alot of you are also in pain.....IT'S NOT FAIR.

Modmomm
HI, I just read your story and it has touched me deeply. My prayers go out to your friend and her daughter.Also I really dont think its fair that they are letting her just lay there and die without trying to help her in any way.They should atleast be feeding her through an IV.
God Bless and just keep praying for her

Old 01-18-2004, 11:51 AM   #3

crabbycdn HB User
Re: My dear friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmomm
Why has her family decided to put her on the 3rd floor where there is no hope for recovery? They are letting her die. No IV, no monitors, just morphine. ...why can't they at least feed her with the IV? ...Modmomm
Because you are not a family member, you may not have all of the information. The reason there is not an IV is because this would prolong your friend's death not her life. The morphine is to give comfort and relief of pain.

Last edited by crabbycdn; 01-27-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Closed Thread