It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

Steph35 HB User
Question Boyfriend having lung surgery

Hi,

I've been reading the posts, and this is a great site. People are honest and upfront. I've been with my Boyfriend for 12 years. He is a smoker for about 30 years. As a retired big city cop, he has outlived most of his friends which has been hard for him. He has been sick since Thanksgiving and was initially diagnosed with phenomena and bronchitis. Today, they told him they must remove his left lung-no options. I'm a graduate student in mental health counseling and feel so helpless. I can't stop crying. I want to be strong for him because he is the one who is going to suffer. My obvious pain will make it more difficult for him. Does anyone know why the doctor requires lung removal over chemo. or radiation? Has anyone on the board gone through a lung removal and what does this entail? Thank you for your time and God Bless.

Stephanie

Old 01-17-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Boyfriend having lung surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph35
Hi,

I've been reading the posts, and this is a great site. People are honest and upfront. I've been with my Boyfriend for 12 years. He is a smoker for about 30 years. As a retired big city cop, he has outlived most of his friends which has been hard for him. He has been sick since Thanksgiving and was initially diagnosed with phenomena and bronchitis. Today, they told him they must remove his left lung-no options. I'm a graduate student in mental health counseling and feel so helpless. I can't stop crying. I want to be strong for him because he is the one who is going to suffer. My obvious pain will make it more difficult for him. Does anyone know why the doctor requires lung removal over chemo. or radiation? Has anyone on the board gone through a lung removal and what does this entail? Thank you for your time and God Bless.

Stephanie
Your boyfriend is probably having the pneumonectomy because he has what they call a "non-small cell lung cancer" whose treatment is removal of the lung. He may get radiation to his chest after the operation, but that depends on how far the cancer has spread and if there are any lymph nodes involved. Chemo is only used for small cell lung cancers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 05:50 AM   #3

mephoto HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph35
Hi,

Stephanie
My Dad had a portion of his lung removed when he was diagnosed with NSCLC two years ago. The surgery has a long recovery but with breathing exercises and doing exactly as your doctor says he will recover nicely. Three months after my dad's surgery he was out on the golf course again. He has always complained about the numbing sensation where the incision was made but I think that is with all surgeries. Dad also went through chemo afterwards to get any residual cells. But as far as the surgery, it is a little scary but interview your surgeon and get as much information from him as possible.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your boyfriend.
K.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

Steph35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphoto
My Dad had a portion of his lung removed when he was diagnosed with NSCLC two years ago. The surgery has a long recovery but with breathing exercises and doing exactly as your doctor says he will recover nicely. Three months after my dad's surgery he was out on the golf course again. He has always complained about the numbing sensation where the incision was made but I think that is with all surgeries. Dad also went through chemo afterwards to get any residual cells. But as far as the surgery, it is a little scary but interview your surgeon and get as much information from him as possible.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your boyfriend.
K.
Thank you so much. Well his first doctor's immediate advice was removal of the lung. Yesterday, he did an outpatient surgery where they put a camera down his throat and got a sample of the tumor so they can tell which type of cancer it is. He is being treated at the University of Chicago which I've heard is the best. I know--cancer is cancer no matter where you're treated. My question, how many types of cancers are identified and how many differnt types of therapy are there. Is the survival rate still 2% for five year survival no matter which type of cancer is detected. Also, has anyone on the board refused chemo or radiation after a certain point. I know--lots of questions.
Thanks,
Stephanie

Closed Thread