It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 08:15 AM   #1

crazycanuck HB User
Hubby smokes like a chimney

Hi all.
Hubby just turned 40. He's smoked since he was a teenager (though has cut down to maybe half pack a day for the last 2 years cause he doesn't smoke in the house). He's also a chronic marijuana smoker (at least one a day for the 15 years I've known him). Every morning, he coughs for about 5 minutes and spits phlegm (though seems OK the rest of the day). Sometimes when I'm sitting beside him, he breathing sounds phlegmy and I nudge him to clear his throat to get rid of it. Here's the kicker: Otherwise, he's healthy as a horse. He rides his bike and plays hockey once a week. If we were to run a race, I'd be breathing hard - he'd be fine. Wazzup with that??

Questions: He's going for a physical. would it detect cancer? what are his chances of living to be an old(er) man? (I know he won't quit. he thinks he's immortal )

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
Re: Hubby smokes like a chimney

I would suggest that he get a physical including a pulmonary study he sound like my hubby and mine has copd chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and that is from smoking my hubby sokes 3 pk a day +

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 04:02 PM   #3

MichaelNYC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck
Hi all.
Hubby just turned 40. He's smoked since he was a teenager (though has cut down to maybe half pack a day for the last 2 years cause he doesn't smoke in the house). He's also a chronic marijuana smoker (at least one a day for the 15 years I've known him). Every morning, he coughs for about 5 minutes and spits phlegm (though seems OK the rest of the day). Sometimes when I'm sitting beside him, he breathing sounds phlegmy and I nudge him to clear his throat to get rid of it. Here's the kicker: Otherwise, he's healthy as a horse. He rides his bike and plays hockey once a week. If we were to run a race, I'd be breathing hard - he'd be fine. Wazzup with that??

Questions: He's going for a physical. would it detect cancer? what are his chances of living to be an old(er) man? (I know he won't quit. he thinks he's immortal )

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
A routine phyical obviously won't detect lung cancer. I would strongly recommend a CT Lung Scan which is about $425 and probably won't be reimbursable. If he can afford cigarettes, he can afford the cost of the scan. You don't need a doctor prescription. It takes about 5 minutes and can detect a tumor the size of a grain of rice. It's 6 times more powerful that an xray machine. I have one every year. Look for a diagnostic center in your yellow pages. Also, he should also consider a CT Heart Scan at the same time. If you get both, there's a package deal. Smoking also damages the heart. Most smokers avoid CT Heart & Lung Scan and prefer to address a problem after there's serious damage. If it's late stage lung cancer, the five year survival rate is 2%.

Old 02-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #4

crazycanuck HB User

Yikes. Thank you both for the info. As you might have guessed by my username, we're in Canada. I'm hoping that scan might be partially covered (?). I'll be sure to have him ask the doctor (or better yet arrange it myself to make sure he goes).

Closed Thread