It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2004, 01:08 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Re: Non-Small Cell Cancer Stage IIIB

I'm afraid to be happy about this but my brother's tumor is gone! He had developed a small spot on his liver that his doctor feels confident will go away with chemo. Other than a cracked rib and eatting issues as well as breathing - he's getting a bit better. Still sounds tired whenever I talk with him. This is what they call remission right? So, it can come back?!

Old 07-29-2004, 01:25 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, just thought I'd give an update on my brother. He had a real bout with constipation for over a month. They gave him supositories, enemas, and some meds and finally that issue is okay. He still has a hard time swallowing some types of food - mostly meat and breads. He has lost a lot of weight, but it is not just due to his limitations of what he can it's what he replaced it with and the fact that he no longer eats three hugh meals a day - now he eats 4 to 5 small meals. Every day he drinks a Boost, eats lots of fruits and vegetables.

He has stopped chemo for a bit due to the rib not healing. He sees the doctors in a few weeks so I'll update again after that. At this point, the mass in his lungs has all but disappeared though there is some scar tissue and he does have it showing in his liver. His lung is collapsed and they are hopefully waiting that it opens on its own. They don't want to disturb the cancer cells by forcing it open. He is still on oxygen. For a while he wasn't taking phone calls or returning any, but we all understand and he knows we do and that we want to support him in any way we can. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 09:23 AM   #18

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

I am sorry to hear that he is not doing so well. I will continue to pray, and keep the devil from flinging the door open!

Renee

Old 08-02-2004, 06:11 AM   #19

DAA HB User

With this disease its hard to tell. My father had his whole lung removed 6 years ago and was considered cancer free. He also had NSC with a large tumor in his left lung. He was fine for 6 whole years. 2 years ago he developed bone pain, hip pain, stomach burning, His yearly chest x-ray was clear and normal. This past Feb he had shortness of breadth, and Pnumonia. Doctors felt it was a pnumonia pocket on his upper right lung. Never got better with antiobiotics. Biopsy was neg, CEA level was 53.1. Well to make a long story short it ended up being the beast we all feared had came back after 6 years. We still dont know if his bone pain was related to this. He took Irressa for 15 days and just got worse. The tumors just grew faster. My beautiful dad passed on May 16th. He just suffered 1 day. The last week his appatite was not good, I guess his body was shutting down. We consider this a blessing since he did not struggle with breadthing and other problems. Just get the best care you can and pray. It helped me. Even though dad is gone he is still with me and I pray for every person and their family who have to fight this disease.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:47 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Today my brother - he's 49 - is getting two pints of blood. He went to the doctor asking him why he had no energy and cried all the time. His rib still has not healed. The doctor checked his blood it was down to 28 way too low. Hopefully the transfusion will give him more energy. He still has trouble eating certain things like bread.

Tomorrow he goes in to have a CT scan. Doctor said it was possible that the cancer mets to his bones and that's why the rib hasn't healed. We won't get the results until 8/19 (my sister's birthday). If it has metstasized to his bones, it means there isn't much time left doesn't it?

God bless us all.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:17 AM   #21

Hi Sawbuck- I am sorry that your brother is not feeling better. I am praying for good results! I don't think that it necessarily means that there is not much time left. Hang in there, and stay strong for your brother.

Let us know how he is doing after the transfusion, and the CT scans.

Renee

Old 08-13-2004, 08:59 AM   #22
(female)

RitaB HB User

Hi - I hope your brother is cured. I know with my brother-in-law who had inoperable lung cancer (don't know which type) went against his doctors in his home town who told him treatment would prolong his life but consider the quality. He went to Houston who disagreed and thought they had a chance to fight it. That has probably been 10 yrs ago and now he is healthy. But after his treatments, he was extremely drained and very weary and was out of work for awhile. And even though there was still a spot left in his lungs, the drs thought the chemo left in his body would continue to fight it and it did.

My sister on the other hand has not been so fortunate. After 2 bouts of radiation and several rounds of different chemo, they have stopped all treatments. She was ordered to quit work and to have someone with her at all times. It spread to the liver and to the brain and what is in the brain is growing pretty fast. But she is not in any pain, is very bored with not working and still has an appetite. She is considered terminal now but seeing her its hard to believe.

I'm glad your brother is having success and as a matter of fact, his success is all of your family success.

Wishing you the best.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:01 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, a few days ago my brother was admitted to the hospital. Actually the day after he received the blood units. He has pnemonia and the cancer matastisized to his broken rib. They are still not sure if it has entered further. They did a ct scan. He was admitted Friday afternoon and by Sunday morning 3am he was moved to CCU. He is not eating much - although enough where they say he does not need intravenous food. they want to do another ct scan of his lung to see if there is a clot - they are treating him with a fluid - starts with an H - that will keep any clots from growing, but they really want to see if there is one. The doctor told him he'd only have to lie on his back for 20 to 30 seconds and hold his breath for 15 sec. He told the doc, 'it ain't happening.' He cannot breath when he lies on his back. He is on misted oxygen and is getting morphine pills and shots - not on the pump yet. We are hoping that intravenous antibiotics, pain meds, etc. that he will respond. They did do an ultrasound on his legs to see if there were any clots there. We should get those results today. He is ready to go. Says if he has to live like he is - it's not worth it.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Last night we were told my brother had from a few weeks to a few months to live. There is nothing more they can do. Chemo and radiation will do more harm than good. The cancer is growing in his liver. It mets to the bone - where he broke his rib. He asked the doctor if the lung could be removed and the doctor said he would not be able to live through the surgery.

Right now he is in a regular room at the hospital where they are trying to stablize his pain to see how much he needs in order to be comfortable. We will be setting up home hospice and as soon as those are both done he can leave the hospital. Some enlightening moments to share...he wanted some "green" grapes and cherries "and they have to taste good." I went to the store and found green grapes easy enough but did not see any cherries. I asked the produce person and he went in back to check and came out empty handed. He asked another employee and they said there weren't any more. I was just about to leave and the man asked "did you see those cherries over there? there's one bag left." I went over and looked and it was a small bag - just enough and even though I didn't have any to choose from I tasted one anyways to make sure it tasted good. It did. I told the man it was from heaven and that I was buying them for my sick brother.

I may continue to post at some point. I wish and pray for everyone here. Hugs and smiles - as they say on toy story "let's be careful out there."

Last edited by sawbuck44; 08-17-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:17 PM   #25

I am so sorry to hear this news. I am still going to pray for a miracle for him!

Renee

Old 08-18-2004, 06:18 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

He had a good day yesterday - physically. He was able to shave and ate some food, fruit and cottage cheese. Funny how when you are real ill you're forced to eat the way you should have been eating all along. You can't stomach all those bad foods. Strawberry milkshakes - from McDonald's - are still his favorite.

Today is my sister's birthday. Last night I asked him if he wanted me to buy her a gift and card for him to give her. He cried and said 'i don't have any money.' He has money issues - it is so sad to see him have to deal with that aspect of fixing things. Of course I told him not to worry about the money. He's very independent and cried when he told me that he was so independent that he missed out on a lot of family time over the years. I told him that his independence was what people loved so much about him and so many people love him.

Today my sister is flying in for a week. His youngest estranged son is coming in soon too. I got to go - I needed someone to talk to yet it's too hard. I appreciate you all being there.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:43 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

I guess I knew that some day I would be typing this email message. Just didn't realize it would be this soon. Eight months after being diagnosed, my brother passed away this morning. I just want to say that if you smoke, get tested if you keep getting bronchitus or pnemonia. If my brother was diagnosed early than stage IIIB, he may have had fighting chance against this disease. So what began as a tumor in his lung, spread to his liver and then his bones - it attacked at the sight of the broken rib.

Thanks for all your well wishes and support. God Bless.

Old 08-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #28
(female)

RitaB HB User

Our hearts and prayers are with you!

Old 08-21-2004, 06:51 AM   #29

I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your brother. I was so afraid to open you last reply, because this is what I was afraid I would find. I hope you find some comfort in knowing that he will no longer suffer. My heart and my prayers are with you.

Renee

Old 08-22-2004, 12:26 AM   #30

NASCARfan HB User
Unhappy Re: Non-Small Cell Cancer Stage IIIB

Sorry to hear about your brother, and our thoughts and prayers are with you. No matter if you know it is going to happen, you can never prepare yourself

Cheryl

Closed Thread