It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 10:47 AM   #1

dempsey HB User
Unhappy I'm new and my sister has stage IV

Hi, I am looking for some info on progression of stage 4 that has spread to the brain, heart and ovaries. My sister went to doc on 1/30/04 and was diagnosed that day - she had fluid around her heart lung cancer brain cancer and now its on the ovaries as well. She is 44 and went in for what she thought to be a sinus infection and the doctor heard wheezing in the lung so they did a chest exray and it spiralled from there. She has had 14 radiation treatments on the brain and 12 on the lung she is done for now. She took 1 chemo and doesn't want that anymore and she is no on Iressa. We just have no idea what to expect. She went completely bald and is having a lot of heart burn and shortness of breath. If anyone has any idea of what we can expect please give me a heads up. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you and your families.

Old 03-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #2
(male)

~TAZ~ HB User
Re: I'm new and my sister has stage IV

My prayers are definitely with your sister, you and your family. My dad recently passed away from lung cancer and what you are saying about your sister is pretty close to the condition my dad was in. He started with lung cancer that spread to his liver and his spine. He was diagnosed in September, passed away mid-February. He took alot of radiation which seemed to help and two chemo treatments. The chemo seemed to do more harm then good. He lost his hair also, as well as about 50 pounds. When he did get really bad, it was a matter of a good week and he was gone. It did eventually become stage 4 for him like most people with cancer eventually get to as far as I can tell.

Spend the time with her as much as you can, I know that I spent as much time as I could with my dad before he passed away and that definitely was the best thing I could have done. Keep positive even though the outcome is almost always negative when it comes to cancer.

As for your other posting, this board has alot of people that come on here and read things and don't post reply's to people. If you look at almost all the posts, they all have the same kinda post like the one I gave you here so I imagine they don't post back because everything is basically the same on here. I came here for support a while back and eventually I got some replys. You can check out my postings a while back if you want. Just watch for the name ~TAZ~ and I think it was "NOT A GOOD DAY" as a subject....

I give you all my best in this situation, but spend the time with her. Cancer is very harsh, never knew it did what it could and in the last few weeks or even less, when it starts to go downhill the communication can be tough (coma, halucinations, etc) so say what you want now. That is my best advice....

Wishing you and your family all the best.....

TAZ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 06:21 PM   #3

dempsey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TAZ~
My prayers are definitely with your sister, you and your family. My dad recently passed away from lung cancer and what you are saying about your sister is pretty close to the condition my dad was in. He started with lung cancer that spread to his liver and his spine. He was diagnosed in September, passed away mid-February. He took alot of radiation which seemed to help and two chemo treatments. The chemo seemed to do more harm then good. He lost his hair also, as well as about 50 pounds. When he did get really bad, it was a matter of a good week and he was gone. It did eventually become stage 4 for him like most people with cancer eventually get to as far as I can tell.

Spend the time with her as much as you can, I know that I spent as much time as I could with my dad before he passed away and that definitely was the best thing I could have done. Keep positive even though the outcome is almost always negative when it comes to cancer.

As for your other posting, this board has alot of people that come on here and read things and don't post reply's to people. If you look at almost all the posts, they all have the same kinda post like the one I gave you here so I imagine they don't post back because everything is basically the same on here. I came here for support a while back and eventually I got some replys. You can check out my postings a while back if you want. Just watch for the name ~TAZ~ and I think it was "NOT A GOOD DAY" as a subject....

I give you all my best in this situation, but spend the time with her. Cancer is very harsh, never knew it did what it could and in the last few weeks or even less, when it starts to go downhill the communication can be tough (coma, halucinations, etc) so say what you want now. That is my best advice....

Wishing you and your family all the best.....

TAZ

TAZ,

Thanks for the response and I am sorry for the loss of your dad. I too lost my dad and my mom. My dad was more sudden with a heart attack and my mom to colon cancer and she died within a couple of months of being diagnosed.

I appreciate your taking the time to reply - I will keep you posted on how things go.

Thanks much and you take care.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 AM   #4
Inactive

hope1220 HB User

Dempsey~ I will add you and your sister to my prayer list as well. Does your sister have any children? Just wondering. I agree with Taz-spend as much time as you can with her. Help her make sure her "house" is in order spiritually and physically. My mother took chemo and had a tumor removed from her brain. The chemo was nearly as bad as the cancer for her too. This is a terrible disease and my heart goes out to anyone touched by it.~ Hope B

Old 03-12-2004, 07:36 AM   #5

dempsey HB User

Hope - thanks for your prayers. The good news is (if there is any) is that Sharon my sister does not have any children. She left that up to all her sisters and she is just the favorite aunt of all the kids. She watched my two older boys (6&4) for several months last year when she was out of work and they adore her. I have another son who was born this past fall and I fear he will never know her. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #6

little bambi HB User

hi dempsay.im really sorry to heatr about your sister.my hubbys grandad is dying of lung cancer,which has spread to his liver.he is 83 and has had a wonderful life and also has a loving wife who is by his side to look after him.this will be the first close death in my hubbys family and im really dreddin it.i had to get my cousin through her mother dying in august past,also because of the disease.tell your sister you love her and will always,and be there for her.honestly its amazing where you get the strength from.but somehow,you do.i will be looking out for you.take care.debx

Last edited by little bambi; 03-12-2004 at 01:12 PM.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #7

dempsey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bambi
hi dempsay.im really sorry to heatr about your sister.my hubbys grandad is dying of lung cancer,which has spread to his liver.he is 83 and has had a wonderful life and also has a loving wife who is by his side to look after him.this will be the first close death in my hubbys family and im really dreddin it.i had to get my cousin through her mother dying in august past,also because of the disease.tell your sister you love her and will always,and be there for her.honestly its amazing where you get the strength from.but somehow,you do.i will be looking out for you.take care.debx

Thanks for your thoughts so far she is doing great - I will keep you posted on how things progress. The scary part was she was given 6 months and it's almost two already

Old 03-13-2004, 07:58 AM   #8

moily HB User

I know what you're feeling. My 47 year old sister also has Stage 1V non-small cell lung cancer which has spread to her liver and hip and skull. She has 3 grown children and two grandchildren. Three years ago I lost my 45 year old sister to Ewings Sarcoma, which is a bone cancer. It seems that some families are just hit worse than others, and then you're left feeling like maybe I'll be next. God bless you and your sister, and mine too,

Closed Thread