It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Time between Kidney failure and death?

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer (I don't know which type or what stage he was at) at the end of August. He started chemo right away, and w/in 3 months the tumor had shrunk to half the size.. and his pain started to decrease. Over the last month or two, his pain has increased- it's the worst it's ever been, he's now 119 lbs (he was 130 last month), his fingers are swelling, and his feet are tingling. He went into his chemo session last Monday only to be told it stopped having any effect on the tumor. Just in the last week, he's been so weak he can barely lift his head off the pillow.

Now my sister told me they're doing a last ditch effort of trying some kind of new chemo or shot (it might be this Iressa I keep hearing about, but I don't know). In the meantime, my dad's urine output is practically none. My sister lives with him and says she refills his glass several times a day, but he's rarely going to the bathroom. He's being taken in Monday to check his renal system. It sounds to me like kidney failure, and it makes me wonder a) if the doctors can/would do anything about it, and b) what does this mean in terms of his time left.. once his kidneys fail, it seems like the other systems in his body wouldn't be far behind. And then how long would it be?

*My dad and I have not seen each other in a long time- up until his diagnosis, we had not spoken for 3 years. (Of course once I heard, I made contact, and we have been talking nearly every weekend since). I'm going out there to CA on Tuesday, and part of me wonders if he could go quicker than that? Or if he might die while I'm there. I'm nervous enough seeing him, and scared to see the way he looks now- he's only 49, and I'm told he looks like he's 70.

Anyway, if anyone can offer up their experiences on kidney failure, I would really appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 04:59 AM   #2

mephoto HB User
Re: Time between Kidney failure and death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by datgrlstef
My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer (I don't know which type or what stage he was at) at the end of August. He started chemo right away, and w/in 3 months the tumor had shrunk to half the size.. and his pain started to decrease. Over the last month or two, his pain has increased- it's the worst it's ever been, he's now 119 lbs (he was 130 last month), his fingers are swelling, and his feet are tingling. He went into his chemo session last Monday only to be told it stopped having any effect on the tumor. Just in the last week, he's been so weak he can barely lift his head off the pillow.

Now my sister told me they're doing a last ditch effort of trying some kind of new chemo or shot (it might be this Iressa I keep hearing about, but I don't know). In the meantime, my dad's urine output is practically none. My sister lives with him and says she refills his glass several times a day, but he's rarely going to the bathroom. He's being taken in Monday to check his renal system. It sounds to me like kidney failure, and it makes me wonder a) if the doctors can/would do anything about it, and b) what does this mean in terms of his time left.. once his kidneys fail, it seems like the other systems in his body wouldn't be far behind. And then how long would it be?

*My dad and I have not seen each other in a long time- up until his diagnosis, we had not spoken for 3 years. (Of course once I heard, I made contact, and we have been talking nearly every weekend since). I'm going out there to CA on Tuesday, and part of me wonders if he could go quicker than that? Or if he might die while I'm there. I'm nervous enough seeing him, and scared to see the way he looks now- he's only 49, and I'm told he looks like he's 70.

Anyway, if anyone can offer up their experiences on kidney failure, I would really appreciate it.

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. My dad's kidney's started failing about 3 weeks before he passed away. It started with him trying to go to the bathroom every 20 min. He said it felt like he had to always go but nothing was coming out. Some of the other signs that told us it was close with my dad were, he was going back in time in his mind, he was remembering things on the TV from the 1950's, the color of his skin drastically changed too. He went from the normal skin color to a very greyish color. His fingers and toes became tinged blue about 48 hours before he passed. He was also clamy to the touch. I hope this answers you question. If your dad has any kind of support, hospice~they can help you out tremendously. They can usually tell you within 48 hours of when the patient will pass. They walked us through everything.
My heart and prayers go out to you. I hope you and your dad find peace and comfort on your visit. These last days/weeks are the most important. You will remember them forever. My dad and I spend the best days together after his diagnosis right up till day he passed away peacefully in our arms. (Thanksgiving day '03)
K.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Re: Time between Kidney failure and death?

Thanks for your response. Tomorrow I'm flying out there, and I just printed out an interview sheet with several questions about his life.. I figure I have 5 days to ask him at a leisurly rate. I'll have a tape recorder, too. Since he has never met my 2 kids, the information will be special to them when they get older... and for my nephew, who lives with my dad as well (he's almost 6, and will want to know things about his Grandpa).

Closed Thread