It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #1

moily HB User
Question How long can we expect- vomiting black

Hi, my 47 year old sister has stage 1V lung cancer with metastisis to the hip skull and liver. She has stopped eating and occasionally vomits black matter. Mentally she is extremely tired but still speaking normally. She is on liquid morphine. Does anyone have any idea how long we can expect. Thank you for any help you can give us.

Old 03-23-2004, 05:44 AM   #2

mephoto HB User
Re: How long can we expect- vomiting black

Quote:
Originally Posted by moily
Hi, my 47 year old sister has stage 1V lung cancer with metastisis to the hip skull and liver. She has stopped eating and occasionally vomits black matter. Mentally she is extremely tired but still speaking normally. She is on liquid morphine. Does anyone have any idea how long we can expect. Thank you for any help you can give us.
I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Although everyone is different I can tell you about my dad. He was stage IV with mets to the hip. He was vomiting black matter about a month before he passed away. He was vomiting about twice a day then it would go away. We knew it was real close when his mind started going. That happened 24/48 hours before he passed away. Stay strong, you have a long road ahead. My thoughts and prayers are with you and if you ever need questions answered or just some comfort you know where to come. This is a wonderful place to come, people understand what you are going through because they have been there themselves.
Take care,
K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 06:15 AM   #3
Inactive

hope1220 HB User

My mom was vomitting black/green matter - I kept calling the onc. office and he kept saying that was common with a lot of terminal patients. This went on for about 2 weeks "constantly" if she drank water later she would vomit and it would be green / black. When it was time for her appt. her doctor did a scan in the office and discovered she had a bowel obstruction. He admitted her at once saying that if it "ruptured" it would be very painful. Mom was admitted into the hospital where they inserted a nasogastric tube down to the stomach area and suctioned the "packed obstruction" out- she stayed about 2 days and was much better, comfort wise I mean. You may ask the doc. if they think this may be what is wrong with your sis- and if so does he suggest anything different. Still praying for you dear.-- Hope B.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:08 AM   #4

dempsey HB User

Quote:

My sister is 45 diagnosed at 44- she has been givne 6 months - can you tell me when all of thsi came about with your sister and how long it has been and what the progression of decline is - I would really like to know what to expect. It has been 2 months almost since the day we found out. She has done raidation on the lungs and brain hers has spread to the brain, heart and ovaries. I hope you all hang in there with you sister but would really appreciate if you could tell me how things progressed since your sistes diagnoses. Thanks and take care.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:54 PM   #5

moily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey
My sister is 45 diagnosed at 44- she has been givne 6 months - can you tell me when all of thsi came about with your sister and how long it has been and what the progression of decline is - I would really like to know what to expect. It has been 2 months almost since the day we found out. She has done raidation on the lungs and brain hers has spread to the brain, heart and ovaries. I hope you all hang in there with you sister but would really appreciate if you could tell me how things progressed since your sistes diagnoses. Thanks and take care.
My sister went in with what she thought was a sinus infection and swelling around her eye on February 15. During there exam they found the cancer in her lungs. She had been coughing for several years and last summer started complaining of hip pain. She has never taken very good care of herself. So she's probably had it for quite some time. Thanks for writing back

Old 03-24-2004, 06:56 AM   #6

dempsey HB User

Quote:
My sister went in with what she thought was a sinus infection and swelling around her eye on February 15. During there exam they found the cancer in her lungs. She had been coughing for several years and last summer started complaining of hip pain. She has never taken very good care of herself. So she's probably had it for quite some time. Thanks for writing back

Oddly enough my sister went in for a sinus infection too. She was put on sefton then started vomiting blood the ent doc sent her to the internest where they heard wheezing in her lung (she has smoked since early teen years) then did chest xray she had fluid around her heart and a couple of masses in her lung one thing lead to another and now she is just very week. My sister was a wild thing when she was younger playing with drugs etc. so I don't know it that had anything to do with it. Let's keep in touch and keep each updated on progression. My sister was diagnosed on January 30th - she is currently very weak so we aren't sure what is going on she get's re scanned on April 1st then we meet with the doctors on April 5th. Take care.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:32 AM   #7

MichelleP HB User

Quote:
My prayers go out to you and your sister. Having just gone through this terrible experience with my step-dad, I'm sure you are experiencing many different emotions and if you are anything like me, I was very anxious all the time not knowing what to expect next and when. My step-dad was called a "rare" case on many occasions by different medical personnel because his suffering was uncontrollable, so they said. He vomited tons of bright red blood about 2 weeks before he passed away. It was around this time I noticed he hardly ate anything at all - just a bite here and there. Hospice said this was normal in terminal patients. Then he began vomiting dark brown liquid during the last 12 hours of his life, and this happened about every 30 minutes to hour. Having not gotten a clear answer from the doctors, we are assuming from what research my mom and I have done that he had gastrointestinal hemmoraging (sp). At this point he was on 30ml/hour of a demerol infusion and ativan and haldol for terminal agitation. Also phenergan but it didn't help with the vomiting.

He had primary lung cancer with metastasis to almost all bones as well as the liver. In the end they also found a primary prostate cancer.

I kept wanting someone to tell me exactly how long my step-dad had to live. But of course, it's ultimately in the hands of God.

God Bless.

Closed Thread