It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 06:21 AM   #1
Inactive

Missylynn HB User
Questions about lung cancer

First, my heart and my prayers go out to those of you who are battling lung cancer or has a love one who is.

From my readings it seems that there isn't much time from diagnosis until a person is terminal. Is that because by the time you discover symtoms the disease has progressed to the terminal stage?

Another question, when there's talk about a survival rate of 3 years does that mean that most likely the patient won't live longer than that or that the cancer returns after 3 years?

The Following User Says Thank You to Missylynn For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 03-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #2

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User
Re: Questions about lung cancer

Hi Lynn- As you said, there is not much time between diagnosis and finding out that it is terminal. With my husband who is 44, he had been battling walking pneumonia for several months, and taking multiple antibiotics (this seems to be common). My husband was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer December 26th 2003, told he was terminal the same day, 6-9 months to live.. 1 year at best. We actually did not fnd out by a tumor being found in his lung. My husband was feeling pain in his hip after bowling. We went to the Doctor December 24th, nothing showed on the x-ray of his hip. We were then referred to an orthopedic who did an MRI, the orthopedic saw the cancer in the bone in his hip. Naturally, on x-mas eve, he did not tell us, he sent us to the hospital for a series of test. On December 26th, our family Doctor asked that we come to his office, he gave us the news.

From what I understand, the survial rate is when they expect the patient will pass away.

The following user gives a hug of support to renee_ky:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to renee_ky For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 01:45 PM   #3
Inactive

haylee31 HB User

Hi Lynn,

In the case of my fathers lung cancer it started in Nov.82

they found cancer on his tounge and throat and said his

lungs were ok did surgery in Dec. thought all was ok.

In Sept. 83 he was feeling bad is when they said it was

in his lungs and he passed away in Nov. 83 with my mom

in Aug.2002 she was feeling sick to her stomach and more

tired than normal and was told it was lung cancer that

had already spread to her liver, kidneys and neck they

gave her 9 months she made it 7 months and passed away

in Mar. 2003. I guess it depends on the circumstances and

the person but it seems sadly it is not often caught in time

for much hope. Haylee

The Following User Says Thank You to haylee31 For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 03-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #4
Inactive

Missylynn HB User

Thanks renee ky and haylee31. Renee my prayers are with you, and Haylee I am so sorry about your losses. Bless you both.

Lynn

The Following User Says Thank You to Missylynn For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 03-26-2004, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missylynn
Thanks renee ky and haylee31. Renee my prayers are with you, and Haylee I am so sorry about your losses. Bless you both.

Lynn
Thank you.. We are taking one day at a time and hoping for the best.

The following user gives a hug of support to renee_ky:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to renee_ky For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 03-29-2004, 10:16 AM   #6

shammyl HB User

Hi, in my mom's case, she was diagnosed in 1999, did the surgery. Cancer returned to her lung one year later. Dr. gave her six months, but she still live to today, although she found out about her brain mets last months. It really depends on each individual, and one thing her attitude is real important. Although she was hit by this several times, my mom has been always optimistic and very upbeat.

shammyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missylynn
First, my heart and my prayers go out to those of you who are battling lung cancer or has a love one who is.

From my readings it seems that there isn't much time from diagnosis until a person is terminal. Is that because by the time you discover symtoms the disease has progressed to the terminal stage?

Another question, when there's talk about a survival rate of 3 years does that mean that most likely the patient won't live longer than that or that the cancer returns after 3 years?

Old 04-01-2004, 03:42 AM   #7
(female)

kiddo HB User

I am sorry to read you are going through what I've been through until recently.

It seems Lung Cancer is often not detected till its advanced..its very much a silent killer. Killer I say, as sadly the prognosis for long term survival, statistically is poor. Just remember though, its that, a statisitic. I'd opt for the positive always.

To briefly tell you my story (you can also search under 'Kiddo'), my Dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 non small cell lung cancer on Christmas Eve 2003 (no waiting for us!). He was told with radiotherapy and chemo he'd have 8-9 months, to a year. If he did nothing, Doctors expected him to live 3 months. I'm very sorry to say, all were too generous..my Dad survived 6 weeks. He passed 30 January 2004. In his situation, things changed very very quickly.

I found each day became precious. and time slowed down just that little bit. Importantly, those 6 weeks feel like many months, to a year in my heart. I treasure my memories during this time. My Dad is a true Hero and my sweet Angel in the sky.

Please believe there are many people reading your message who care and will listen.

Stay Strong
Kiddo

Old 04-01-2004, 04:39 AM   #8

Hi Kiddo- I just read through your posts. I am so sorry to hear about your Dad, my herat aches for you. I too lost my Dad 10 years ago, it was very difficult. Now, facing losing my husband to this horrible disease.

As you stated, lung cancer is rarely caught soon enough. I sometimes wonder if we are blessed or cursed by knowing the final days are near. It is good to be able to say and do things you may normally put off until tomorrow. But, it is so difficult for the family to see their loved one suffer. And, the thoughts and the pain that the loved one must bear is heart breaking.

OK.. I am rambling now

Good luck to you Kiddo

Renee

Closed Thread