It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #1

mom2o HB User
Question How long can a stage IV lung cancer w/ mets to hip, liver and skull survive without

eating? My mother hasn't eaten anything since March 22 - and then it was only watermelon and she threw up. She has lost 40 lbs in 47 days. I keep thinking the end is near but she's young and her heart keeps going. I am a nervous wreck and its unbearable to see her in this condition. What if any are signs that your loved one is going to die?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #2

MichaelNYC HB User
Re: How long can a stage IV lung cancer w/ mets to hip, liver and skull survive without

So sorry to hear about your Mom. Do you have hospice care? Hospice nurses can usually tell when the end is near. What do the doctors have to say and what are they doing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #3

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User
Re: How long can a stage IV lung cancer w/ mets to hip, liver and skull survive without

MOM2o- I am so sorry to hear the news of your mother. Michael asked about Hospice, if you do not alread have them, I think they can help you tremendously. How long ago was your Mom diagnosed? Are they doing any treatment? My husband also has advanced lung cancer, with mets that were in his hip, they replaced his hip. He had mets to both sides of the brain, which they successfully treated with radiation. He also has mets to the liver and spine, they have shrunk the growth on the liver and lung with carboplatin & VP-16 chemo therapy. There is not much (if anything that they can do for the spine, where it continues to grow. As for him, he does not have much of an appetite. The things he loved, he does not much care for, and he can not eat any fruit at all. His favorite now seems to be scrambled eggs, raviolli's, tomato soup and grilled cheese.. these things he oddly enough did not care much for before, now they seem to be what he likes best. He eats a lot of leafy veggies, peanuts, sunflower seeds and corn chips.

I hope you can find something that your Mom can digest, nutrition is very important.

I wish you and you Mom all the best, you are in my prayers.

Renee

Old 04-07-2004, 06:05 AM   #4

mephoto HB User
Re: How long can a stage IV lung cancer w/ mets to hip, liver and skull survive witho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2o
eating? My mother hasn't eaten anything since March 22 - and then it was only watermelon and she threw up. She has lost 40 lbs in 47 days. I keep thinking the end is near but she's young and her heart keeps going. I am a nervous wreck and its unbearable to see her in this condition. What if any are signs that your loved one is going to die?
When my dad was ill with lung cancer we knew the end was near when he started sleeping more and becoming very disoriented. In his mind he was going back in time, he was reminising about old TV shows and talking in the past. Dad passed away 48 hours after that. Up until that though he was 'dad', he knew what was going on, he didn't look too bad. Toward the end he also became very fidigity, I believe it is called terminal agitation. He was getting up and down constantly, not really knowing what he wanted to do, sit up, lay down, it was extremely noticable. Our hospise nurse also knew when the end was near, she told us his extremeties would start to turn bluish grey. 24 hours before he passed away we saw that. About 12 hours before he passed he knew we were there, he looked at us and he kissed my mom many times, but it was hard for him to communicate in words, but he saw us and knew we were there. It was about 20 minutes before he passed that he went into unresponsivness. For me, this made everything easier, he wasn't fighting anything, he died peacefully in the arms of my mom, my sister, my brother and myself, we all had our arms around him during his last breath. As sad as it was and as difficult as it was I wouldn't want it any other way.

I know everyone is different and everyone has a different story but this was my experience. I hope it helps you in some way. I am so sorry to hear of your pain, it is very sad and my thoughts and prayers will be with you during this difficult time.
Take care.
K.

Closed Thread