It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

JollyEmu HB User
Exposed to asbestos for 17 years.

I just found out 3 days ago (after living here for 17 years) that the ceiling of our home contains 3 to 5% of asbestos. I can remember many times as a kid playing around with a ball or something and disturbing the ceiling and the powdery stuff would come falling to the ground. The popcorn type ceilings are very very easy to disturb and in some cases just fall from nothing.

I'm very scared but more ****** off right now. Am I at a high risk when the ceiling only contains a very small amount of asbestos? And there were only a few instances where it broke off...

What's really scaring me is that i've been having pains in my chest for 6 months now, and sort of a weird feeling in my left lung...

From what I understand though it's the people that actually worked at asbestos mining areas and were exposed to very high doses of it.

*shrug*
The rest of my family is not concerned about it, they just say what is done is done.... oh ya, thats really reassuring.

Last edited by JollyEmu; 04-23-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
Re: Exposed to asbestos for 17 years.

ok I understand your frustration my husband has asbestosis and pulmonary fibrosis his was discovered after a bout with pneumonia about4 years ago this november you need to contact your dr and let them know of your symptoms and see if they cant orders some tests due to asbestos exposure i will try to answer any questions you may have i will do my best to help you. Best of luch and do be afraid to ask i dont have all the answers this is a terrible and dehilbating disease its very scary too because most drs and pulm drs dont have a lot of answers research is how many of my answers have been found because the majority of drs seem to ignore a lot of the symptoms best of luck you will need to be seen by a pulmonary drs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
(male)

JollyEmu HB User

Do they actually have tests that can show asbestos exposure in my lungs before any major symptoms show up? For these minor symptoms i'm having right now I would have had to been exposed like 15 years ago right? That seems unlikely with the small amounts that it contains. But what do I know...

I just can't believe older homes wouldn't be thouroughly inspected for asbestos problems when they are sold....From what I understand popcorn ceilings are common knowledge of containing asbestos...Wasn't for me or my family..

I almost don't want to go see a doctor though, ignorance is bliss...I wish I had never known about the ceilings...

Old 04-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

well they usually run some chest xrays and cat scans are u having any type of symptoms like chest pain shortness of breathe, do you have a hard time catching your breath after walking or any type of exercise. usually if the chest xrays show any thing they wil do a cat scan and then they go from there

Last edited by delrae4753; 04-24-2004 at 07:12 AM.

Old 04-24-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
(male)

JollyEmu HB User

I do have short minor pains that only last like 2 or 3 seconds on my left side of chest. The pains are actually less frequent than what they were like 6 months ago. But I do notice they come in waves. Like for 2 weeks nothing, then it would come back for a few days. I thought it was heart related because the pain would sometimes be felt down my arm...but i'm only 20 years old so having heart issues would probably not be the case.

Lately on the left side i've felt a sensation like i'm breathing in warm air. No shortness of breath or anything just a sensation.

thanks for the replies

Old 04-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

at your age its probably not asbestosis that takes at the min to surface about 30 years after exposure it may possibly be stress related you really need to seee a dr if you are only 20 and having chest pain at all and it comes back more than once go and get this checked

Closed Thread