It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 01:25 AM   #1

Ochoamama HB User
Hi! New to the boards....

Hello and good morning to all! My name is Krista and I am a 23 y/o mom to 6 and 3 y/o girls. I recently quit my pack a day smoking habit after smoking on and off for almost 10 years...quit during pregnancies and nursing the babies. I have had asthma since early childhood which is obviously aggravated by the smoking and often had pneumonia and bronchitis at least twice a year and sinus infections at least once a month. I am concerned about the irreversible effects of the smoking. My moms mother died of lung cancer (2-3 pack a day smoker) at the age of 64 and dads mother (4 pack a day smoker) in her early 70s so there is a history of cancer in the family. My husband works in the respiratory equipment business (concentrators, liquid O2,etc. and has seen young women ages 23-27 with lung cancer, copd, ephysema, etc. due to smoking and this scares the hell out of me. I am proud of my decision to be strong and realize I will leave my babies without a mom if I don't stay clean...but I am in a constant state of fear and panic that I could already have some problems. I think peace of mind is priceless and if anyone can give me some medical options such as scans or physicals I would be grateful. I am thinking of you all and praying for you and your families health. Best regards, Krista

Old 05-16-2004, 04:46 AM   #2

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User
Wink Re: Hi! New to the boards....

Hi Krista- I am proud of you for thinking of your children 1st, and stopping smoking. At 23 yrs old, you sound like quite a terrific and mature young woman. Having 2 grandparents pass away due to lung cancer is enough to make you think,but not give you cancer. Smoking gives you these types of lung caner, with or without a family history. Now, having a family history of cancer should raise a red flag for you. But, you can not spend your whole life worrying that you will get canacer, becuase you are an ex smoker. I am not lying to you, worry and stress will cause you more health problems than you can imagine. If you are concerned right now, have a chect x-ray and relieve your immediate concern. But as far as the future, just be as good to your body as you can, and live the best you can, and you will have less to worry about. I imagine that you will also have less asthma probmems, less pneumonia and not near as many sinus infectiosn now, as when you smoked.

Take care, and don't worry yourself sick!

Renee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User
Re: Hi! New to the boards....

W E L C O M E...... Please do come back.....

Closed Thread