It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004, 07:15 PM   #1

sheryl555 HB User
Question My Sister

Hello,

I am new to this board. My precious 44 year old sister was diagnoised with double non-small cell lung cancer two years ago. Although she is a stage IV cancer because of mets to the nodes, she has done well. Recently however, she came down with pneumonia and was in the hospital. She got through that with intravenous meds. Also, recently 6 weeks ago, became jaundiced and the doctors know something is wrong with the liver but cannot determine that it is cancer. While they keep testing and testing she has not received chemo for going on 7 weeks. Has anyone experienced this, having chemo for 1 1/2 years and then nothing for all these weeks? I am praying that this will not have the cancer spreading like "wild fire".

Thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
(female)

angelsalive HB User
Re: My Sister

Hi :
I don't have info for you sorry. I'ts just that I saw your MY SISTER and it made me think of my baby sister who died aged 45 from what they thought was lung cancer but turned out to be a very rare lung disease. This was in 2002. By the time they discovered their mistake it was too late to operate. She died on Christmas day. I was on my way to spend a few weeks with her and never made it in time. Please say every thing that you want to your sister now. I am sure that she will be here for a long time, but just in case, let her know every thing that is in your heart. It is so much easier to deal with the living. Tell her a sister from Australia is thinking of her and praying for her. God Bless you Both and may the Universe deal up some powerful healing to your sister.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 04:49 AM   #3

sheryl555 HB User

Angelsalive,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I do tell my sister everything I have in my heart for her. We have had an extreme bond all of our lives, we are nine years apart but feel more like twins. It's odd you mention the lung disease, I have often wondered if my sister did have something of that nature rather than lung cancer. The only thing that semi-convinced me was the fact they took a biopsy. Recently, testing, testing, and more testing have turned up negative. I will leave it in God's hands as he is the only one I can trust to take care of her as he sees fit. I believe in miracles and I will continue to pray for one for her.

But again, thank you for the note and for the prayers.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:45 PM   #4
(female)

angelsalive HB User

HI, How Is Your Sister Today
They did 2 biopsy's on my sister too and still they did not pick that it was heart disease. She called the tumor CHARLIE, it was pressing on her heart. She remained optermistic till the end. She was in one state dealing with that and I was in another being operated on for throat cancer and our other sister was going between the two of us. Hang in there while the magic is done.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:13 AM   #5

sheryl555 HB User

Hi Angelsalive,

My sister was really well over the weekend. Thank you for asking.

You stated your sister had a rare lung disease, what was it if you don't mind me asking? Throat cancer! You poor thing, my heavens.

They want to do another endoscopy on my sister, this time at a different hospital with ultra sound. That will not be performed until June 24th! She reminded them that she has not had chemo for 8 weeks now and that by June 24th is too long. My opinion is that she needs another opinion, she feels satisfied though to continue with this doctor. Sometimes I wonder if it is that, or she is just going to let happen what will happen. Honestly, that's how I too would treat it.

Bye for now.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:41 PM   #6
(female)

angelsalive HB User

Hi Sheryl
My sister's lung cancer was really a FIBROSARCOMA. Which the Doctors told me was a rear malignant tumour. She was too weak to operate after the two biopsy's and so they sent her home to wait. It was a professor from an Oncology unit that eventually picked it up.
Talk Soon

Old 05-27-2004, 04:27 AM   #7

sheryl555 HB User

Angelsalive,

Thanks for getting back so soon. I will see my sister this weekend and will mention it to her. Without the chemo she is feeling great, I know it will probably be short lived and then maybe not. I have a lot of faith, I'm not God and I don't call the shots right?

In my sister's case however, they probably have diagnosed it correctly. We just lost an Uncle to lung cancer, a grandfather in the past and our precious grandmother to the same disease. It is no mystery, our family was a group of smokers. We have all quit for numerous years now, if there was one thing in my life I would take back it would be that I NEVER would have smoked. Like they say, hind sight is beautiful.

Bye for now

Old 06-03-2004, 07:09 PM   #8
(female)

angelsalive HB User

Hi Sheryl
How Is Your Sister Doing. I Had A Beautiful Art Teacher When I Was 20. She Never Smoked Or Drank And Died Of Lung Cancer And Left Behind 2 Small Children. It Is Now Believed That Reflux Can Cause Throat Cancer As Well.
Angelsalive

Old 06-04-2004, 05:39 AM   #9

sheryl555 HB User

Hi Angelsalive,

My sister is doing really well, thank you for asking. Yes your right of course, anyone can get lung cancer however, smoking certainly enchances your chances.

My sister was to her oncologist the other day, he does not dectect jaundice anymore and he said he is going to get her continue her break from chemo because she is doing so well. It is unbelievable. He said he will do another lung scan perhaps in early July and if the tumors are still small he may continue her break until she starts to have problems. At that point she will return to chemo and as long as it works will continue on it. If it stops working or her body has problems because of it she will have the choice of Iressa or another "new" drug, pill form. It's in God's hands and he has taken care of her very well.

Take care
Sheryl

Old 06-20-2004, 10:58 PM   #10
(female)

angelsalive HB User

Hi Sheryl
How is that precious sister of yours doing?
Angelsalive

Old 06-21-2004, 07:06 PM   #11

sheryl555 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsalive
Hi Sheryl
How is that precious sister of yours doing?
Angelsalive

Old 06-21-2004, 07:09 PM   #12

sheryl555 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheryl555
She's doing really well. I saw her over the weekend and she looks really well. She goes this Thursday for the endoscopy with the ultra sound and we are praying for the best. At the begining of July she also goes for a lung scan. For now she feels much better than she ever expected to, and the bonus is she is also looking very good.

Thanks for asking

Last edited by sheryl555; 06-21-2004 at 07:09 PM.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:42 PM   #13
(female)

angelsalive HB User

Sheryl555
It has been awhile, is your sister still doing okay
Angelsalive

Old 07-20-2004, 07:04 PM   #14

sheryl555 HB User

Yes she is. Thank you very much for asking. She was on vacation last week, the doctor is on this week and she figured she would give herself the rest of July to enjoy the break. She goes back in August to the doctor and then will have another lung scan to see if and what has progressed. She said the other day she feels great and we even walked about 500' to the beach and to her amazement was not at all winded! We truly don't understand it, this stage IV cancer but we are living every day as the true gift it is.
Thank again
Sheryl

Old 07-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #15
(female)

angelsalive HB User

Hi
I am so glad that she is doing well and finding her way in this life again. I hope that she continues to heal.
Angelsalive

Closed Thread