It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 07:49 PM   #1

tenngal31 HB User
lung cancer heredity what are my chances?

hi i have a father with lung cancer and his brother my uncle died this past year from it also. would that be a high risk for me? unfortunatly i do smoke

Old 06-16-2004, 12:13 AM   #2
(female)

angelsalive HB User
Thumbs up Re: lung cancer heredity what are my chances?

Hi
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking. If you are under the age of 70 I would very seriously think about quitting yesterday. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but Hey?
Angelsalive

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 11:39 AM   #3

tenngal31 HB User
Re: lung cancer heredity what are my chances?

hi angel im 32 years old and yes i do need to hear that because it is soo true.
seems evrything that is hereditary in my family i have it has been rough thanks for your reply

Old 06-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #4

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

Hi Anger, you are the same age as I. My husband is 44 years old and dying from small cell lung cancer. If you smoke, and you do not want to be high risk for lung cacner, you HAVE TO quit smoking. As you know, cancer is very real, and it is devastating. Per my husband's oncologist, smoking is the cause of his lung cacner (small cell).

Old 06-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #5

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

I meant to say Angel, not Anger.. And the message was not for Angel. Sorry!!! Long day......

Old 06-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #6

MichaelNYC HB User

I've read that anywhere from from 85% to 90% of lung cancer is smoking related. You give no details regarding how long and how much you smoke. If you have smoked two packs a day for 20+ years you're at high risk. 85% of all lung cancer patients are diagnosed stage 4 which means a 2% 5 year survival rate. This is why early detection (annual CT Lung Scan) is so strongly recommended. I have one every year. Prevention is the best Medicine.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
(female)

formerlsa HB User
Thumbs down Re: lung cancer heredity what are my chances?

My girlfriend who never smoked a cigarette her whole life couldn't breathe well for a year. She kept going to Dr's, none of them took an Xray.They said she had acid reflux. Well, finally in May of last year she was rushed to the hospital cause she couldn't breathe. They finally did an xray and it was too late, she has small cell lung cancer and died 4 months later. She left 2 small boys and was only 45. So, it can happen to anyone. There is no history in her family and both her parents smoked and they are fine except her Mom now has emphesema, she is 75.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
(female)

angelsalive HB User

Dear Tenngal31
Sorry if I sounded a bit short, but I am survivor of throat cancer. Cancer, I now know is on both sides of my family way back to great grand parents even. My children, friends and family see me and still smoke. But hey, I was in denial that as a smoker anything would happen to me, so I have no room to get upset with others. But please give yourself a break and TRY hard to quit. Angelsalive

Old 06-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #9

twisted123 HB User

Life is preciuos... I know I lost my mom last year to lung cancer.

My mom started smoking in the 50's and she wasn't going to stop "Until she was darn good and ready to!" My sweet mom was never ready to stop. She was the last holdout in the group of friends they hung out with. She will be missing her first grandson"s (my son's) wedding in 6 days. It's hard to be without her at such a happy time in my life. She thought that cancer was something that happened to "other people". Oh, How I Miss My MOM!

Please QUIT.

Old 07-06-2004, 01:34 AM   #10

sovereign57 HB User

undefined[FONT=Arial]undefinedundefined

Hi Angel,

Being 3rd generation and 3rd sister diagnosed with primary lung cancer, I will tell you what the docs told us. People under 60 don't get this kind of cancer, that it is genetic and we each had a one in 4 chance of getting it even if we never smoked. I think stress has a role in it as well as the over-all nourishment of your body including that which keeps your immune system strong.

The docs said i would be dead two years ago but have yet to show me the tree they have cut down to make a box to put me in. I have taken limited treatments from them as they admit they cannot cure me. Adenocarcinoma right upper lobe, 13 mets to brain treated with both surgery and/or gamma knife as they pop up and thorasic mass covering 3 vertabra treated with oxyxotin at first and then radiation for the pain. Tried chemo for 6 sessions and about died at christmas from it. A gruel of slippery elm and fresh juices got me up and walking in a matter of days from then. I do use cold pressed flax seed oil with milk as the sulfur protien as Budwig originally used skimmed milk. I also use Natures Plus, Spurutein WHey shake to flavor it. O cannot say for sure how much it has helped other than putting weight back on. I do have a bunch of organic herbs and make my own tinctures and teas.

I would not fret about the possibility of getting cancer, just be good to yourself and your body and be thankful to the good lord for our built in repair abilities.

Eileen

Old 07-11-2004, 09:28 PM   #11
(female)

angelsalive HB User
Thumbs up Re: lung cancer heredity what are my chances?

Hi Eileen
My Gosh, haven't you been through the wringer. I wish there was a magic word or sound that would cure all. But I guess it tests our faith, humour, strength, compassion and so on to deal with a life threatening illness. Some are victors and some are not. Is their a list that we are placed on?. You to the left me to the right. Keep your head up and fight a good fight. Love
Angelsalive

Closed Thread