It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 03:23 PM   #1

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User
Need some opeinions, please.

Hello Everybody- Feeling a little bummed today, and needed ask your oprinions/thought or experience with this. As most people on this board know, my husband has small cell lung cacner, diagnosed with 6-9 months to live (in December) if he took treatment. Treatment started the last week of December, he elected to quit chemo in March. After radiation, naturally, he lost all of his hair. It has been 4 months since he lost his hair, and it just started coming back within the last 3 weeks. It seems that within a week, maybe a week and a 1/2, his hair went from stubbles to full. I thought this was a good thing, because he was thrilled about his hair coming back. But after speaking to my brother in law this morning, now I am not so sure that it is good. My brother in law said that he was very saddened to see Scott's hair growing back. This struck me as odd, and I asked why?? His response was, if his hair cells are growing that rapidly, what are the cancer cells doing? Talk about a lump in the throat! I could barely swallow after that, and my heart sank, all I could do was cry. That made sense.

Any thoughts? Can the growth of hair/nail cells be compared to cancer cells?

Old 06-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #2

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User
Re: Need some opeinions, please.

Insted of driving myself crazy and trying to research to figure this out, I decided to do the practical thing and call the Oncologist who is treating my husband. He said there is no connection between the cells. However, because his hair and nails are growing at a rapid pace, it does tell us that his cells are performing normally. So, it was not a stupid question but a good evaluation. He said he feels confident that the cancer cells are also growing. And, with this type of cancer, they will start growing and multiplying rapidly. He ask me to describe any changes that have occured since our last visit. I told him of the 2 days he had a headache, 1 day headache with blurred vision, stiff neck, shoulder pain, lower back pain, pain in his left leg, grayish skin tione and short term memory loss. He said all of these changes are indications that the cancer has strted growing again. He wanted to move his appoint from July 6th, to this week. But, since Scott is out of town for 2 weeks, this is not possible. The doctor said that he does not expect Scott will be with us much longer, because of the way these cells grow. But, he can not say how advanced he is without seeing him, and doing tests.

Please pray that the cells do not multiply so fast that he will become ill while he is gone. Pray that he is ok, atleast until he is home. I know now that praying he will recover is out of the question. I am just sop afraid of him not making it home. Dear lord please let him make it home!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 01:40 PM   #3

DAA HB User

Dear Renee,
I know what you are going through, my dad went so fast and I still dont understand what happened. He was diagnosed in Feb with Recurrent cancer to his only remaining lung. Well he felt ok, just some shortness of breadth. Then was put on Iressa, 16 days later he died. From what I still do not know. Yes he had LC, but how did it spread so fast. Was it the Iressa, Ill never know. His last week he felt tired, no energy, arms shaky, not hungry. Finally his last night he just stopped eating. He did go in peace and did not suffer at all. I hope he too can do the same, just pray and be there for him. I know how it feels and we here can listen and help. Its a terrible disease.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:55 AM   #4
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User

I am sorry to hear of the news renee. I pray he will return to you safe. Mattie

Closed Thread