It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2004, 02:22 AM   #1
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User
Question Q:Nausesa,Dizziness,exhaustion continues?

Clint is now done with Chemo,(has stage 3A Nsc) as of last thursday. Today, (wes) he remains extremmly tired. He has awful bouts of nausea, as he has had since his surgery march 1st. He has used Kytril,prilosec,reglan, diet changes, and continues to have nausea throughout the day at random times. Now he is afraid to drive, since he complains he "just feels dizzy""I just dont feel right" and unsafe behind the wheel. He is to return to the Dr. in 3 weeks, for followup scans. Shouldnt he be feeling better now? on the uphill so to speak? he now is smoking 3 packs a day due to boredom, sitting at home (while Im away at work 3 days, and we are in a new town and know no one) and he tires easaliy, so thier he sits watching tv and smoking large amounts again. His last labs/scans showed no "spots" anywhere..... Is this normal to feel dizzy/funny...and continued bad nausea?? Could it have been related to his surgery and being under 10 hours? Maybe damage somewhere in his esophagus? He also has spordic deep hip pain when he lays down, so many times he will sleep semiupright in the living room chair. Any related senerios/experiences would be appriciated. He wont even log on the net, and only answers the phone if it is me calling. He is on an antidepressent also. .

Old 06-23-2004, 01:57 PM   #2

k311yandk3v1n HB User
Post Re: Q:Nausesa,Dizziness,exhaustion continues?

Hi,
my name is kelly and i am 14. my mom has cancer and she has gone through 2 rounds of chemo and 2 rounds of radiation. she also had some biopsies and 3 surgeries. i just wanted to tell you that after her 1st round of chemo and after her surgeries, she was very very nausious and tired. but after a couple of weeks to a month, it got better. i hope this helps you, and i am very sorry to hear about Clint. p.s. how old is he?
-Kelly- God Bless you and Clint

Everything will be ok, just pray

i hope you have a great day. please write back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User
Re: Q:Nausesa,Dizziness,exhaustion continues?

[hi Kelly, thank you for your reply, I am sorry to hear of your moms illness... Your such a gift for her Im certain! Clint is 53. He has had chemo , then surgery, then more chemo. It has been a long tuff road, as I know you have traveled. I wrote to see if others had had simalair complications, or if it is an indicator that something else may be going on. He has also been on neurontin to releive nerve pain in his chest. How long ago did your mom have her last surgery? how old is she? Is she still in treatment for it or remission. Thanks again for your reply. Keep in touch. Mattie

Old 06-24-2004, 05:52 AM   #4

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

Hi Mattie- In the past 2-3 weeks, Scott has had more fatigue. There was a couple of days where he had headaches, blurred vision and a little nauseau. I am not sure to what degree, becuase he does not tell m eanything. I do know he feels more than he tells me, by his actions. As I have said before, he loves to play golf and fish. Everyday last week, his Dad or friend would call and ask him if he wanted to go fishing or to play golf, his response was the same everyda "No, I just want to rest today". As far as any neurological affects, I knew of the 2 day headache and the blurred vision. But again, he does his best to things from me. We have a friend that we love to do crossword puzzles with, and he is never to tied for that! She lives about 2 miles from us. She called him several days last week to tell him to come over and do the pussle. Each time, he said he would wait until I could go with him so that I could drive. Although he will not admit it, there must be things happening that have made him not want to drive. He makes me crazy by not telling me things. But, I know him so well, I understand him, he is a protector! He wants me to know as little as possible about what he is going through. I wish it were not that way, I wish he would talk to me!

Renee

Old 06-24-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User

thank you for sharing..... I am sorry, I feel so for you and your babies...I cant help but wonder.. what is it that makes then feel "unright" or dizzy?? Clint is on neruontin,oxycotten,senna,reglan alternated with ( kyril (50.00 a day) He still smokes over 3 packs a day. He loves fishing, and bought me a boat for my birthday LOL.. sweet.... but it dosent have tilt and a 50 horse moter almost takes my back out let alone making him hurt for days after.. we have used it once. I work 2 hours away and I drive and stay thier and do 3 to 4 16's in a row to get my time in plus extra to pick up the slack. I hate to have to leave him, but he also knows if he is in real need of me being thier I will be,. Does Scott smoke? what medications does he take? I just fear if it has spread it may be fed bye the smoking and go like fire......I keep you and yours in my prayers... how is he handing the kids, and all thier needs? Gods strength to you renee... Mattie

Old 06-25-2004, 06:24 AM   #6

Hi Mattie- We do not have kids, just our puppy dog. Thank God! We wanted children, but I guess that is not going to happen. He wants me to try to have a baby now, but I not sure that would be the best thing. I have thought about it over and over, in a way it woudl be good, because I would always have a part of him.

Scott quit smoking a while before he was dx with lung cancer (about 6 mos prior), he had smoked for 30 years. Unfortunately, he started smoking again 2 weeks ago. What gets me is, if he TRULY believes his cancer is gone, why would he start smoking again, knowing that is what gave him this cancer in the 1st place. I spoke to the Oncologist about it this week. Though the doctor is is totally against smoking, he told me to let Scott do whatever he wants, because even if he did not smoke, his condition can not be reversed. He also said that e believes that Scott knows, without a doubt, that the cancer has already started growing again.

Can you believe, he takes no medicine at all!! When they were trying to give him prescriptions (for pain), he said "will any of this cure me", and of course they said NO.. He said "then I don't want it"... Other than the chemo, the pain med after his hip replacement, and the steroid during radiation, he has not been taking any medication. He does take Herbs daily, as he did before the cancer, he just takes different ones now.

I am glad you are able to do things with Clint, I wish you could do more. I am sorry that he feels so bad all of the time. I woudl imagine that the meds he takes is a big part of the reason for not feeling right and for dizziness. But I would also guess that the dizziness might come from whatever damage is being done to the nerves. I am not real sure.

I am still praying for you both!

Renee

Old 06-25-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User

Thank you for the reply, and the information...Why did you feel it could be nerve damadge causeing his dizziness... I know your not a Dr. but I was just wondering about that.?? I appriciate any insights.... Ill keep in touch.. How old is scott. Mattie

Old 06-26-2004, 10:58 AM   #8

I did a search on the internter, I can not remember how I worded my search, it was cancer/dizziness, cancer and dizziness... something like that.

I will look again.. if I figure out where it was, or how I worded my search, I will let you know.

And also, Scott's oncologist asked if Scott had any headaches, neck pain, dizziness or blurred vision. I guess these are all different signs that it coudl be growing in his brain again. But not necessarrily..... just things they watch for.

Old 06-26-2004, 11:03 AM   #9

I found it...

Symptoms in other organs

Non-respiratory symptoms associated with lung cancer might be associated with pressure of a tumor on another organ or with spread of disease (metastasis) outside the lungs or bronchial tubes.

The symptoms listed below have been associated with spread of disease in many patients. Unlike the list for pulmonary symptoms, the order of this list is not indicative of frequency of occurrence. In some cases, several of these symptoms might occur together.

Swelling of the face, arms and neck, possibly with visible veins on the skin of the chest caused by superior vena cava syndrome (SVCS), pressure of a tumor on the large chest vein known as the superior vena cava.
Pancoast syndrome, caused by a tumor that presses on a nerve in the superior sulcus, a groove in the upper lung and its sac through which runs a major artery. Symptoms of Pancoast syndrome include:
Horner's syndrome, including weak or drooping eyelid, lessened or no perspiration on one side of the face, and a smaller pupil in one eye
Pain in the shoulder
Weakening of hand muscles
Destruction of bone, which might be perceived as bone pain
Headache
Weakness, numbness, or paralysis
Dizziness
Partial loss of vision
Bone or joint pain
Abdominal pain upon probing
Unexplained weight loss
Loss of appetite
Unexplained fever
Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
Fluid in the chest or abdomen (effusion, ascites)
Cardiac symptoms, including thready or irregular pulse and difficulty breathing

Old 06-26-2004, 07:59 PM   #10
Inactive

Missylynn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_J_1_01
He also has spordic deep hip pain when he lays down, so many times he will sleep semiupright in the living room chair.
my, my,. Prayers go out to you and your loved one during this difficult time.
I hope you don't mind me asking a question. If it seems kind of "stupid" with all that you are dealing with I'll understand if you don't respond.

Is the hip pain related to the cancer?

Old 06-27-2004, 07:23 PM   #11

Hi MissyLynn- That is not a stupid question at all. For my husband, the hip pain was/is associated with the cancer. Had it not been for the hip, we would not have found out my husband had cancer. He was having other symptoms as well, but was being treated for pneumonia. It was the hip pain that led an orthipedic to find Scott's cancer. The day they told us Scott had cancer, his hip broke. Scott had a full hip (left) replacement. His leg is now hurting, gradually more and more... this just recently started. I will have the Doctor look at it when we go back July 6th, just to be safe!

Mattie- Have they done a bone scan to look at his Clint's hip? Our Doctor fif an x-ray on Scott's when it 1st started hurting, it showed nothing, it was the bone scan that revealed the cancer in his hip.

Renee

Old 06-27-2004, 07:24 PM   #12

Hi MissyLynn- That is not a stupid question at all. For my husband, the hip pain was/is associated with the cancer. Had it not been for the hip, we would not have found out my husband had cancer. He was having other symptoms as well, but was being treated for pneumonia. It was the hip pain that led an orthipedic to find Scott's cancer. The day they told us Scott had cancer, his hip broke. Scott had a full hip (left) replacement. His leg is now hurting, gradually more and more... this just recently started. I will have the Doctor look at it when we go back July 6th, just to be safe!

Mattie- Have they done a bone scan to look at his Clint's hip? Our Doctor did an x-ray on Scott's hip when it 1st started hurting, it showed nothing, it was the bone scan that revealed the cancer in his hip.

Renee

Old 06-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #13
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User

No he hasnt had a bone scan, but the Dr. did mention it to him...If this pain persists.
I had a diffecult time last night, lying on his chest and hearing all the "popping, rubs, and wheezes" the side that is healed, but they had taken the tumor from. I have to say I layed thier thinking.. It sounds worse than before the surgey and all the chemo..He huffs and puffs to walk about, and sits almost all the time.....I razz him for lighting up one after another, but I also know I am powerless over it,why he chooses to continue, only he knows.... I think I am afraid the most of loosing him sooner than I have to, and how much more hurt will he/we endure down the road... and as always I get that helpless feeling in the pit of my stomach... and its shower time to sing, and cry...I cant change a thing except to keep praying, offer good meals, and my love and support... But I remind him, smoking is stealing more time away from us. thank you for all the good info. I jotted it down. I think and pray for those in here in need daily... so know I keep you all close in my own way. God Bless mattie

Old 06-27-2004, 10:02 PM   #14

I am sitting here (through tears) reading and understanding your last post so completely. Like you, I know all I can do is bere there, Love him and take care of him the best I am able to.

A good note.. I think I mentioned that Scott is in Haiti (one more week), and I can not communicate with him. He found a cyber cafe and sent me an email! It was Thursday, and after being alone and so worried about him for several days, I was at my worst! I decided "I might as well get on the computer, nothing else to do".. So, I opended my email, a new message popped up "A Love note from Haiti" was the subject... I could not have been happier!! He said he was feeling good, and that his leg and back were hurting less each day. So, that was wonderful news!

Mattie- I wish I had a magic wand for everyone on this board. We all have different stories, but we all have the same love and same fears, and we are all feeling a deep sense of loss. This board is a wonderful place. It is good that we all have a place to come and a place where we can share our feelings, no matter what they may be, and there is always someone who understands... who TRULY understands! All of my friends and family understand what is happening, but they are not in this dreaded horrific place, they can not imagine what it is like to slowly watch the one you love slip away,And, I can only imagine what mt husband feels and thinks, because I am not in his place. I wish he would talk to me more. But, I understand that he thinks he is doing what is best for me, and trying to convince me that he will be fine, and that he can beat this. Oh how I hope he is right! I would gladly trade him places, just so he would not have to see him suffer anymore. It seems so unfair, he is such a wonderful person, he does not deserve this, but who does??? Though he is quite convincing when he says "Honey I have won, I have beat this", I can still see the fear in his eyes, and I can hear it in his voice. And I wish I could take it away from him.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:45 AM   #15
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User

Renee, you sumed it all up so beatifuly....How old is scott? Clint is 53, I am 45.
I do so hope that Scott has WON! We can all chime in to a joyful praise for certain. Clint searches my face for answers when he makes comments of beating "this" as though he needs to see it in my respose so he can beleive in it himself. I gaurd my gestures,tones, and body languge,to only protray positive feedback to him. Have a gr8 week Renee. Mattie

Closed Thread