It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004, 06:29 AM   #1

mimitarnovo HB User
Scared about lung cancer

Hi,
I am 32 years old female.
Last couple of days I have trouble breathing and also I have a cough. I just stopped to smoke 2 weeks ago. I smoked for about 10 years. My last x-ray was 7 months ago and it was fine. My last CBC was 2 weeks ago and it was fine. I have allergies, but never felt this way before. Now I am so scared to go for x-ray, because I am sure that they'll find cancer. Please help.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:44 AM   #2

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User
Re: Scared about lung cancer

If you think you are to scared to find out, wait until you see what happens when they do not catch lung cancer early... that is even scarier!!! You should NEVER delay being screened for lung cacner fi you have any symptoms. I recommend you call your doctor and make an appointment.

Congratulations on quitting smoking, I know how hard it is!

Renee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimitarnovo
Hi,
I am 32 years old female.
Last couple of days I have trouble breathing and also I have a cough. I just stopped to smoke 2 weeks ago. I smoked for about 10 years. My last x-ray was 7 months ago and it was fine. My last CBC was 2 weeks ago and it was fine. I have allergies, but never felt this way before. Now I am so scared to go for x-ray, because I am sure that they'll find cancer. Please help.
Hi there mimi....I'm sorry you're feeling sick. The chances of you having lung cancer are very slim. Allow me to explain:

While I am a FULL believer that cigarette smoking is very bad for your health, the media and the medical profession make it out to be a bigger risk than it really is. What I mean by that is, it takes a LOT of smoking for a LONG time before it will affect your health negatively. There is a measure called the packyear used in medicine...it is the number of packs you smoke a day times the number of years you've smoked. Usually people who have troubles with their lungs have a minimum of 10 pack years....most of the people I see that have lung cancer have had a packyear history of 20 or more! So you're a long way off that.

Given your smoking history, sure, you may consider lung cancer as a cause of your symptoms, but it's WAAAAAY down on the list. More likely, you have maybe contracted a "chest cold" or are having some effects of bronchospasm--i.e. similar to asthma and is often found in people who have recently quit smoking. After quitting smoking, the airways are repairing themselves and they become somewhat twitchy....this often causes them to spasm and the person feels short of breath.

If you had been smoking for say 30 years and your symptoms had just come to be, then I'd be more worried....in your case, however, I would not worry as much.

Old 06-26-2004, 11:28 PM   #4

mimitarnovo HB User

Thank you so much butterflytrans,
My doc said the same think like you. I feel much better now. I have allergies and health anxiety and this 2 things probably make me feel this way.
Thank you once again. You made me feel better.

Old 06-26-2004, 11:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimitarnovo
Thank you so much butterflytrans,
My doc said the same think like you. I feel much better now. I have allergies and health anxiety and this 2 things probably make me feel this way.
Thank you once again. You made me feel better.
Good stuff! I'm glad you feel better!

Old 06-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #6

mimitarnovo HB User

I went to my family doc yesterday and she made me some tests and she said that I am just fine. I have to believe her. She's my doc from about 5 years and she knows me very well.
Thank you for your support.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:08 AM   #7

Good news!!!! Still not smoking? Did you quit cold turkey, or gradually? My husband just started smokeing again, he does have lung cancer, I want to strangle him! My husband insists that his cancer is gone, and he has beat it. Of course, the Doc disagrees. The Doc said he probably started smoking again because he knows the cancer is spreading like a wild fire, he says Scott woudl knwo when the cancer started spreading again. He does not go back to teh doctor until July 6th, we will know then if it has started spreading again. I dread that day!!!

Renee

Old 06-30-2004, 11:58 PM   #8

mimitarnovo HB User

I quit cold turkey about 20 days ago. I was so scared about lung cancer and I think that I never will smoke again in my life. The best thing is that I don't cough anymore

Old 07-05-2004, 09:18 AM   #9

Jordie HB User

I'm very scared too about lung cancer. I am a smoker for about 15 yrs, but only about 7-12 per day. I just got back from Bali, and developed bronchitis and sinisitus. I'm on antibiotics, have been for 1 week, and I aren't better yet. I am awake now in middle of night as my chest is burning like crazy, and I'm getting bad anxiety over this. I have had bronchitis before and I know it can usually last for a few weeks, I'm just super scared this time for some reason. I'm 31.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

When I quit smoking 2 years ago I felt terrible for 10 months. Coughed more than when I was smoking. Almost started again because of it. When you smoke you paralize the cilia which move the mucous up and out. When you quit, the start to move again if not all desroyed and it will begin to push junk up. It is not unusual to cough for months after you quit. Eventually, I felt the coughing was really irritating my lungs and making it worse so I went on a week of Prednisone to keep the lungs open and an antibiotic (broad spectrom like Avelox) and since then don't have too much problem. I also have emphysema so it is harder for me to get mucous up. Good that you quit now. I smoked for 53 years(but I did enjoy every one)

Old 07-13-2004, 06:30 AM   #11

mimitarnovo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyondweller
When I quit smoking 2 years ago I felt terrible for 10 months. Coughed more than when I was smoking. Almost started again because of it. When you smoke you paralize the cilia which move the mucous up and out. When you quit, the start to move again if not all desroyed and it will begin to push junk up. It is not unusual to cough for months after you quit. Eventually, I felt the coughing was really irritating my lungs and making it worse so I went on a week of Prednisone to keep the lungs open and an antibiotic (broad spectrom like Avelox) and since then don't have too much problem. I also have emphysema so it is harder for me to get mucous up. Good that you quit now. I smoked for 53 years(but I did enjoy every one)
I don't smoke already 1 month. I still cough in the morning and still little scared. But after only 10 years of smoking about 4-5 cigarettes now I know that I don't have so big chance already to have lung cancer. I hope to stop to cough soon.

Old 07-25-2004, 02:29 AM   #12

mimitarnovo HB User

Now I feel just great. I don't cough anymore. I had x-ray couple of days ago and it doesn't show a problem. So I can relax now.
Thank you for your support.

Old 07-25-2004, 04:51 AM   #13

Good job!! Quitting smaoking is SOOOOO hard.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:34 PM   #14

andybanandy HB User

edit: sorry, disregard this post,never read the lat 2 pages :P

Last edited by andybanandy; 07-26-2004 at 01:35 PM.

Closed Thread