It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 08:17 AM   #1

texaswonder HB User
Talking Stage IV Small Cell Lung cancer

Good Morning,
My mother has been diagnosed with stage IV small cell lung cancer. She has gone through two weeks of radiation treatments in the two areas it has shown up. Her groin and her chest.
I haven't talked to the docs to see exactly where the primary source is but only know at this point it involves lymph nodes in her pelvis and chest.

According to my mother, its a prognosis of 6 months to 2 years.

I have been searching the boards to see if anyone else has or has a family member with similar symptoms, it is small cell for sure.

Any words of wisdom would be great.

Texas

Old 07-08-2004, 09:37 PM   #2

Tjr123 HB User
Re: Stage IV Small Cell Lung cancer

how do you know what stage of lung cancer a person is in? My brother in law was having back pain and had a tumor removed from his spine that was a secondary cancer. They just found out the primary source is in his lungs. He is only 39 but smoked. What do you think the survival rate is? He is going to undergo CHemo. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2004, 04:27 AM   #3

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

Did I undertand you correctly, it is small cell? My husband also has small cell (44 yrs old), but his is more advanced then your Mother's. Not to discourage you, but small cell is a very active active cancer, and it spreads like a wild fire. Being small cell, it does respond to chemo therapy well. My husbands prognosis was 6-9 months, that was in December. The chemo therapy did supress the cancer growth and he did very well up until this month. Now, the cancer has started spreading again, and he is sicker than ever. He will be having CT scans and a full bofy bone scan next week and we will find out all areas of growth on Thursday.He is very scared, every ache or pain he fears is cancer, he is not ready to die, but feels like he is dying now.

If I may, please let me give you some advice. I am not sure what kind of relationship you have with your Mother, I am guessing good. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do everything in your power to make this journey easier for her. Be there for her if she just needs to talk, walk, cry, laugh.. anything she wants. And hugs, give her lots of hugs. Touch is also very important, it is a sense of security. I am sure, you being her child, she will have a hard time (maybe) expressing herself to you at first, but she will. I can not understand how it feels to be the one with cancer, but what I do know is, they are scared, noone wants to die, and noone wants to suffer.

And, you MUST take care of YOU, so that you can give her the best care you can.

I am sorry.. small cell lung cancer statistics are not good. But it can be made easier. My heart breaks for you. This is going to be a long journey. If you EVER want to vent or need someone to talk to, you have found a good place to do that.

Prayers for you nad your Mom!

Renee

Old 07-09-2004, 04:29 AM   #4

Tjr123- The doctor that he is seeing will need to tell him the type of cancer he has, and the stage.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:34 AM   #5

texaswonder- Does or did your Mother smoke? As I said, my husband also has small cell.. but it is called Small Cell Lung Cancer, primary source being the lung. Scientific and medical studies say that my husbands type of cancer is caused by cigarette smoking.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:35 AM   #6

texaswonder HB User

I just returned from seeing my mother in Colorado. She was incapacitated and bed bound due to the hefty treatments of radiation. By the time I left I had her admitted to hospice and now her medications are straightened out and she is getting nourshiment.

She does have small cell it is in her lungs, lymph nodes in her throat, her right shoulder and in her groin, she went months before seeking help

Her doctors would not start chemo on her at the time I was there because she was so ill. According to the hospice nurses assessment she is healthy and will be here for a while.

I have talked with her on the phone and she says she is up and eating walking and doing small normal things and feels pretty good.

She did tell me she will forgo regular chemo and go to Mexico for some intensive 12 week holistic treatment. She feels she could not survive the chemo treatments. All I can do is support her in her decision, research the institute and talk to people who have been there.
Even her family doctor thought it was a good idea.

She has been a smoker of over 50 years. She has always said when she was diagnosed, it was her own fault I just let her talk and as you have said been there as much as I can.

I plan on going back out in 9 weeks when my classes are over and stay a week. If needed I will stay as long as necessary.

Thanks Renee for your words of wisdom and I pray for you and your family
Robin

Old 07-23-2004, 10:07 AM   #7

Robin- I am so glad to hear that you were able to spend some time with Mom, I am sure she enjoyed it. I was a little worried because I did not see any posts from you, glad you are ok as well. As for her going to Mexico for another form of treatment, I say "GO FOR IT". If her Doctors are like Scott's, they are probably saying there is nothing they can do to save her, only keep her comfortable. We have considered some sort of alternative treatment as well, but so far, have not found anything that seems to be any better than wehat we are getting here. We will keep looking, as long as we can. Hope is good!

I hope school is going well for you. I imagine it is somewhat difficult to stay focused, but I hope you have, or will, find a way to do that.

Take care of YOU to, it is important!

Renee

Old 07-23-2004, 02:35 PM   #8

Sara67 HB User

My Dad had small cell carcinoma of the lung. They said that he must have had it for at least 3 years when they found it. By the time they found it, it had spread to his liver and there was nothing that they could do for him. Dad was more worried about leaving me than he was about himself. That was typical of my Dad, he always put me before himself. We never spoke about Dad dying after that day. We talked about a future with the cancer, but it was as though it was there, but it wouldn't do any harm. It would just be there in the background and it meant that Dad would have to use oxygen and take medication, but other than that, life would go on as it always had.

I wanted to talk to him. I mean really talk to him but I couldn't because to do so would have meant facing the truth, and I knew I would break down and cry if I tried to do that. I had to be strong for him because I didn't want him to worry about me not coping.

I am glad that I gave Dad hope but I deeply regret not talking to him, or giving him the chance to talk to me. However hard it is, please, do not make the mistake that I made. Talk to one another. Be there for one another and make the most of every precious moment you have left.

God bless

Sara

Old 08-01-2004, 07:26 PM   #9

texaswonder HB User

Renee and Sara,

Thank you for your support, things are going well for my mom, she is sitting a lot out on the porch at her house and enjoying the fresh air and swatting at bugs (ha ha!)

She leaves a week from tomorrow to go to Mexico and is hopeful it will work.
I am hoping for her it will give her the time she needs for herself.

Sara, I am spending the time with my mother as necessary and would be out there with her but have a committment to my students also as I am a replacement for a teacher who has cancer also. I am their only support and I need to make sure they are ok also.

They do understand about my mothers situation and if I leave suddenly they will be very supportive.

Thank you to all that have prayed for us You are also in my prayers
Robin

Old 08-03-2004, 06:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

I'm not sure if this applies to anyone,but years ago my brother-inlaw was diog. with lung cancer,the doc gave him 4-8 months to live.He died 2 yrs later of serosus of the liver! He heard that and started drinking [again] hard liqor,more than a quart a day! I just wonder how long he would of lived,if he just didn't start drinking again.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:14 PM   #11

texaswonder HB User

Unfortunatley the stage 4 is pretty aggressive and when the doctors tell you that you are too ill for chemo you start to look for alternative methods so they are heading to Mexico for treatments.

Thank you for the note though
Robin

Closed Thread