It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #1

Jordie HB User
Scared of lung cancer

Hi,

I am petrified about my lungs at the moment. I have bad bronchitis, its been 2 weeks now. I got it after being in Bali for a week. I've been on antibiotics, went back to docs today and he said it should have cleared up by now and gave me different antibiotics. He listened to my chest and said its definitely bronchitis and it will clear up, but I'm so scared.

I now have an intense burning feeling in my lungs. I have been coughing up a lot of phlem which is brownie yellowish. I also seem to be waking up in the night with a hot/cold feeling and I'm also feeling a bit nausous. (this could be anxiety because I have this bad too).

I am a smoker, for about 15 years now, but not a heavy one, about 10 per day. No history in family of cancer either. I just cant shake this horrible feeling. I'm 31.

I know bronchitis can last for several weeks (esp in smokers). It doesn't stop my fear though.

Can anyone relate and give advice, thanks so much.

Jordie.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
Re: Scared of lung cancer

Well, if it does not clear up soon you should have an chest-xray or a ct scan. At least that should put your mind at ease although xrays are not too reliable. As someone that smoked for 53 years and quit 2 years ago I will tell you that as long as you are smoking your lungs will have a harder time dealing with the bronchitis. They are constantly irritated with the smoking and that in itself creates more mucous. It took me 10 months before my lungs got cleared after i quit. If you are coughing colored stuff up you can always have it cultured to see what antibiotic will destroy it instead of this hit and miss approach. I had a stubborn infection(which you obviously have) once and had to do antibiotic IV's. It doesn't sound like lung cancer to me but I am not a Dr. but I am pretty well informed on lung problems having had most of them. Everytime you inhale you paralyze the cilia that move the mucous so at least quit smoking for now till you are over this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 09:45 AM   #3

georgie HB User
Re: Scared of lung cancer

well shoot, my advise? go to the doctor.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
(female)

angelsalive HB User
Thumbs up Re: Scared of lung cancer

Hi Jordie
I can remember when I was a smoker every cough, every chest infection, every does of Bronchitis I thought was Lung Cancer. But each time I was off to the Doctors for a chest X Ray. Thank heavens it never was Lung Cancer but I did get throat cancer. Have Your X Rays and Scans and try to quit now. Take Care
Angelsalive

Closed Thread