It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 08:09 PM   #1

To Be HB User
Losing it

I've recently been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. I'm only 23 years old but both of my parents and my brother were heavy smokers for many years and I myself started smokig at 12 but I quit two years ago. I never thought I'd get it. I thought it was a disease strictly associated with old people.

My current job requires a very high level of fitness and activity so I had to quit. My professional career ended even before it started and my whole life has turned over.

I live with my girlfriend abroad. The closest family member I have lives about 8 hours away by plane.

Prognosis is bad..about 12-16 months at the most.
I'm at loss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 02:26 AM   #2

trac HB User
Re: Losing it

hi, i'm so sorry. i know this is going to be really hard for you and your family. it is unusual for someone as young as you to be dx with lung cancer. have they told you what type you have? my friend's next door neighbour died of lung cancer at the age of 29 - she left behind 2 lovely children. please don't give up hope. just because you've been told it's terminal it doesn't mean you won't be cured. it happens all the time. is there any family you could go home to stay with for a while? i'm sure they'd want you there to support you through this very difficult time. in the meantime, try searching the net for lung cancer stories. you'll be surprised how many people have been cured! my friend was very advanced before they found the cancer, she ignored symptoms for months. i will think about you and my mum who is practising is reiki will send you some healing. god bless.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 04:10 AM   #3

sheryl555 HB User

First of all, I am so sorry about your new diagnois. But, PLEASE do not give up, you are very young and before this healthy, physically active.

My sister was diagnosed THREE years ago with double lung cancer state IV, her biopsy showed it had spread to the nodes. We never, ever thought she would still be here today, never. We prayed and prayed and she had a great attitude, I don't know how. She is strong, she was only 40 when diagnosed!

Right now, she just went for a recent endoscopy with ultra sound and the results were great. She has been without chemo now for a few months and is feeling and looking great.

I will keep you in my prayers, think positive. None of us know how long we have on earth, spend all of them hopeful.
Sheryl

Last edited by sheryl555; 07-14-2004 at 04:18 AM.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

I am so sorry. You don't say in what country you are living in so I am wondering if you have the best medical help available. Is there a possibility that if you went to a teaching hospital that there might be some treatment available? Some lung cancers are curable and you are in good shape physically from what you say which gives you an edge. Think of Lance Armstrong. I am so hoping that there is more help than what you are being told. I don't know what else to say this is so not right.

Last edited by Canyondweller; 07-14-2004 at 11:45 PM.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:24 AM   #5
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User

I am sorry to hear also of your DX, I want to encourage you to seek all the advice you can, and get to the places that can give you the best care,... Delay in being aggressive could make all the difference, when you have time, do read some of the letters on here. they have helped me immensly.Knowledge is Power. And if the Dr's wont pursue the avenues you feel needed, do tell them you want it "documented "in your chart that you asked for such a test, and they refused you, It is your right. (accountability)Then get to one that will listen and take action. Many times just knowing you are serious gets the Dr. more involved with your cares.. in short the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
You have so many things in your favor, your health,age,the new tech, that are advancing daily. I wont deny it is going into battle, and overwhelming at times..I live with it and 'its' changing face daily also..... FIGHT... your so worth it !!! Ill be praying for you, and know you have many in here doing the same. God Bless Mattie

Closed Thread