It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 05:06 AM   #1

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User
Bad week

Just a quick update.. Scott has not been able to eat or drink anything (not even a sip of water) because of the radiation they did to his chest. The radiation has really burned his stomach. Anyting he swallows burns when it hits his stomach. I took him to the oncologist yesterday and they ran IV fluids through him all day, 4 liters. I will be taking him back again today for some more. We also learned that he as lost 24 pounds since he was there on July 15th. The doctor also added another pain medication to his plan, he gave him a prescription for what is called "Duragesic patch". This patch just goes on the skin, and works for up to 3 days.

Hopefully this radiation burn will wear off in a couple of days, or atleast get somewhat better, so he can eat. He was trying to force oatmeal down last night because he is so hungry, but he couldn't, it just hurt too bad. He is taking Nexuim now as well, maybe that will help.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Renee

Old 08-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #2

texaswonder HB User
Re: Bad week

+Renee,

Ask the radiologist for a perscription that contains xylocaine, benadryl and malox when you get it filled put it in the fridge and keep it cold.

That is what I gave my mother the week I was there it helped more going down when it was very cold.

I also used the liquid yogurts semi frozen so they would feel good going down

I hope this helps

Robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 07:51 PM   #3

Hi Robin- I will ask about that prescription, thanks for that information. But, oddly enough, anything cold hurts worse. He is sticking with chicken broth, pudding and room temperature water. I hope this does not last long, this is the worse he has even been.

Renee

Old 08-07-2004, 08:29 PM   #4

texaswonder HB User

Renee,

I am sorry to hear about the week, I know for different people cold is better
I also know that my mom takes regalin twice a day along with mylanta to coat the stomach
Ask about those also. Is it his throat or stomach thats burning so much?

Robin

Old 08-08-2004, 06:11 AM   #5

It his his stomach. He can swallow, but once it hits his stomach, it feels like he is on fire.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:46 AM   #6

texaswonder HB User

Renee,
Ask about the mylanta then, I know thats what they had my mother on
for the two weeks after radiation she would take it then her meds for nausea and then eat soft boiled egg yolks, during the day the routine was sipping on liquid yogurts laced with heavy cream it seemed to help coat the stomach and throat.
Take care
Robin

Old 08-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #7

janice0815 HB User

Renee I am so sorry to hear how things seem to have deteriorated. There are very few words I can find that seem to do the situation justice. There are so many brave people here. You and Scott are very lucky to have found one another and shared true love. It's sad that people respond to you about your age and how you will find another. This is such a hard experience for you - for all of us. Do your best and hang in there...prayers for all of us. Janice0815

Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #8

Hi Robin- We spoke to the Oncologist today. He said there is nothing that is going to heal Scott's stomach, except time. Unfortunately, he said it can take up to a MONTH. So for now, they have delayed chemo therapy. We will go back on the 10th, and go from there.

Janice- Thank you very much for your response, it was very sweet. Like you, I pray for all of us. Cancer is so hard for everyone.

Praying that it does not spread like a wildfire before they will restart treatment!

Renee

Last edited by renee_ky; 08-10-2004 at 02:54 PM.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #9

texaswonder HB User

Renee,
I am sorry to hear that there is nothing they will give him.
It was actually the radiologist nurse that gave us the medication

I hope things stay calm so you can get to chemo.
In my prayers as always
Robin

Closed Thread