It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

Tynel HB User
shadow on an x-ray ...

My mom has been having back pains so bad that she is flat on her back for days. Even though she would rather die in pain then go to a doctor, she actually went to the emergency room a few nights ago. They took some x-rays and noticed a 'shadow' on one of her lungs. She is going back in a few days to do more x-rays and a cat scan. Unfortunately, she lives in Canada, so the health care system there is sub-par, to say the least.
She is absolutely scared to death. In the last 2 days she has been hurrying trying to get all her finances in order, and yesterday, her and my dad went and got their will updated and finalized. Everyone is in a state of panic. My dad cant even work. He just keeps breaking down in sobs. My mom, who used to think she was invincible, now is sure she is dying. She says she can just 'feel' it in her system, and is trying to prepare all of us. Can anyone tell me how bad this is from this early in the game? Could this be something non-life threatening, or should we be bracing ourselves for the worst? She is only 49 years old, and stopped smoking almost 20 years ago. She says she doesnt have any problems breathing, but that she is shakey on her feet, and still has the pain in her back (around the shoulder blades). I know no one wants to start assuming and saying anything, but I really would like some insight into what everyone thinks. Please ...

Old 08-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #2

Tjr123 HB User
Re: shadow on an x-ray ...

I am not sure if you have read about my situation but my brother in law has lung cancer. We also live in Canada (ontario) and I can understand your fear about the health care system. You have to be very agressive to get anywhere... In any case, I will tell you our story so far. Brian went to the hospital with back pain, they found a tumor on his spine that had cracked a vertebrae. They removed this with surgery and told him that the cancer was also in his lungs, this was 4 weeks ago. Since then he has had radiation which did nothing and last week we were told it has spread extremely rapidly and he has only a few weeks to live. Believe it or not, he is only 39 !! He has no problems breathing and seemed normal up until the back pain part..and he was working and feeling fine about 5-6 weeks ago. Make sure they do CT scans, bone marrow check, etc. If they are in Ontario, Sunnybrook is the best place to be for this kind of stuff. I wish you well and hope your family is not ill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 06:07 AM   #3

Kitchener HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynel
My mom has been having back pains so bad that she is flat on her back for days. Even though she would rather die in pain then go to a doctor, she actually went to the emergency room a few nights ago. They took some x-rays and noticed a 'shadow' on one of her lungs. She is going back in a few days to do more x-rays and a cat scan. Unfortunately, she lives in Canada, so the health care system there is sub-par, to say the least.
She is absolutely scared to death. In the last 2 days she has been hurrying trying to get all her finances in order, and yesterday, her and my dad went and got their will updated and finalized. Everyone is in a state of panic. My dad cant even work. He just keeps breaking down in sobs. My mom, who used to think she was invincible, now is sure she is dying. She says she can just 'feel' it in her system, and is trying to prepare all of us. Can anyone tell me how bad this is from this early in the game? Could this be something non-life threatening, or should we be bracing ourselves for the worst? She is only 49 years old, and stopped smoking almost 20 years ago. She says she doesnt have any problems breathing, but that she is shakey on her feet, and still has the pain in her back (around the shoulder blades). I know no one wants to start assuming and saying anything, but I really would like some insight into what everyone thinks. Please ...

Canada's health care sub par ?? You should get your facts straight about Canada's health care. At least we don't have to re mortgage our house to get cancer care !!

Last edited by Kitchener; 08-10-2004 at 06:08 AM.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
(female)

Tynel HB User

Well, you probably wouldn't have to re-mortgage your house to get cancer care because you couldn't get the care even if you HAD the money. The Canadian government is in the works right now to make it illegal to opt to pay, rather than go through the system.

You should get YOUR facts straight. If you needed any major health care, you would be on a waiting list, probably longer than your given life expectancy.

Oh, and you are probably insinuating that you would have to remortgage your house to get the health care in the States, right? Even though you are probably too lame brained to understand this, here in the beautiful USA, you can buy health coverage. My premiums for excellent coverage here are less that I paid in Canada for my 'FREE' health care. MORON.

Oh, and thanks for you kind words about my mom.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
(female)

RitaB HB User

Tynel - have you gotten any results on your mom? Just to let you know someone cares. Lung cancer is always scary. My mother's first symptom was a pain just below her shoulder blade and an xray just a few months before was clear. But then my hairdresser just this week was sharing with me that her step father who was already in extremely bad health had a shadown on his chest xray (on the lung). They ran some test but the man knew it was cancer went ahead and took his life only to get a phone call (message on answering machine) later saying all was OKAY and not to worry about the shadow. So you just don't know. My sister now has lung cancer and it has spread to her brain but to talk to her you would never know anything is wrong. Her condition is now terminal and her time is short but it just wouldn't think that someone who seems to feel so well is supposedly so close to death.

Let us know when you find out. There are plenty of us who really want to know.

Last edited by RitaB; 08-26-2004 at 08:43 AM.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
Inactive

lttlbgft HB User

Tynel
Don't get yourself in an uproar. It sounds like your mom is bracing for the worst. Not a bad idea actually. It shows that she has forethought. Smart woman.
"Shadows" on her lungs could be allot of things. Yes, cancer is one of them but I would relax for now. Let the doctors diagnose it and then look at what treatment options are available if it does turn out to be cancer.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:38 PM   #7
(female)

Tynel HB User

Thanks, RitaB.

My mom is doing okay for right now. She says she is feeling better, but we still dont know anything more than we did before. They took a cat scan, but the doctor that examines it has gone on vacation. Unbelievable, eh? He gets back on August 30th, so she has an appointment on the 31st to find out the results. We have already been waiting almost 2 weeks and it is killing us. My parents made their wills, and my mom is 'preparing'. She got all her rings off her fingers and she painted her toenails because she said she doesnt want people thinking she was someone who didnt take care of themselves. Its really sad. It wouldn't be so bad if it werent for my dad. I dont know how he is going to get through this.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I'll include you and your family in my prayers.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:51 PM   #8
(female)

Tynel HB User

Thanks, lttlbgft.

Optimisum is always good.

I know I sounded harsh in my reply to Kitchener, but when you are dealing with a health care system that is literally watching people die before they can get treatment, and then for someone to come and tell you how great it is and that you are misinformed, its about all I can take. I worry more about how were are going to get the care she needs, than I do about the disease itself.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:10 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Tynel,
I had a giant cell tumor on my femur , benign yet very aggressive. I have a limb salvage prosthesis now, supposed to be my salvation but I endure pain 24/7.
Giant cell tumors even though benign can metastisize to your lungs or any respiratory area.
I have had many xrays{I get chest xrays every 6 months} that have shown a "shadow", for me they usually turn out to be a nipple shadow. But lately I have a lot of pain on the left side in upper back which is where my shadow has always shown up. I just sent my new xrays to my BIL who is an Ortho dr to make sure that it is just arthritis which is what the Radiologist said.It just seems funny to me that it's always been on the left and that's where I am having pain.

I hope that your mother finds out soon before the wait kills her. Drs can be insensitive about these things.I am only 43 now and found the GCT when I was 34. I never smoked but my father did when I was growing up.

My brother who is only 45 has just been diagnosed with Throat/mouth cancer and Hodgkins. He does smoke since he was a teenager and is a heavy drinker.

Take care,
Bonnie

Last edited by lilsunshine46; 08-27-2004 at 05:20 AM.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:15 AM   #10

Mich41 HB User

Tynel,
I'm so sorry about your mom. I really hope you get some uplifting answers. My mom died just over a year ago from lung cancer. She wasn't diagnosed until the late stages and it had gone to her brain. She was sick, but we didn't know how sick. She only lived a month after her diagnosis.

Your mom might be okay. I'm sure she feels terrible and has this feeling that something is not right, but maybe its pneumonia or something else. I really hope that it is something else.
Best wishes to you and your family. You will be in my prayers.
Michelle

Old 08-27-2004, 09:00 AM   #11
Inactive

txchaz HB User

Tynel,

There are no words that any of us can say to ease your mind, this is a scary scary thing. It is easy for someone to say don' t worry till they tell ya what it is, of course your going to worry. A guy at my place of buisness had shadow on the xray and it turned out to be an infection in his lung not cancer. I pray that your family will be fine. I have lost both my parents to lung cancer so I know how scared you are. Hope it turns out for your mom.

Chazzzzzzzz

Old 08-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #12

texaswonder HB User

I wish there were words of encouragement to give but the best thing is to be there for her when she finds out what it is. Support from the family is always the best. Rest and relax until you find out then use the strength to build support for her and your father.

Robin

Old 08-28-2004, 06:51 PM   #13
(female)

Tynel HB User

I just wanted to let everyone know how much it means to me that you all have taken the time out to give me words of support. It really means a lot to me - Thank you.
I will let everyone know what the results are after August 31st.

Old 08-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #14
(female)

TCrockett HB User

Hey Tynel, I wish you all the best for your mom. My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in January of this year here in Canada. I know what you mean, and the frustration you must feel, its like a "hurry up and wait" situation. But this is my dads second bout with cancer and it was right here in Canada that he beat the odds last time.
For my dad it was the diagnosis that took the longest... after that his treatments started fairly immediately. He is done treatment for the time being and we are now waiting to hear how much progress has been made.
The waiting was the hardest part, all the what if's, ones mind certainly does run wild.
Once again, best wishes for you and your family.

Tanya

Old 09-11-2004, 06:12 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Hey Tynel,
We are all waiting to know about your Mom. I hope that your silience means that her xrays came back as good news. I know mine did. Although I still have the chest/back pain so I don't know.
Any word?
Bonnie

Closed Thread