It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 08:25 AM   #1

SHAYSER HB User
Nodule In Right Lung, Please Reply!

I Am 26 Years Old , And They Just Told Me I Have A 7 By 4 Mm Nodule In My Right Lung They Told Me They Will Do Another Ct Scan In 3 Months And They Are Not Worried But I Am So Scared I Can't Even Think, Does Anyone Out There Know If This Is Big? Or How Fast These Things Grow? Or Why Would They Wait Another 3 Months To Do A Ct Scan? Please Help I Can't Even Think Straight

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Inactive

txchaz HB User
Re: Nodule In Right Lung, Please Reply!

Shayser

After doing some reserch on you question I did find out that 3cm = 1 1/8 inch. My metric sucks but I beleive that mm is smaller than cm.

Chazzzzzzzz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 01:33 PM   #3

SHAYSER HB User

So , Do You Think This Is Small, I Am So Scared Thanks For Getting Back To Me.

Old 09-16-2004, 07:19 AM   #4
Inactive

txchaz HB User

Yes it is small but there is no way to know what it is. What are your other risk factors ? age, smoking history, preivious cancer ? 4mm is too small to do a needle bioapsy. From what I read anyone over the age of 40 a nodule should be suspected cancer till otherwise proven not. The survival rate at this size since it would be classified stage 1 would be very high. However this is a descision you need to make. If they cannot do a bioapsy by needle or other methods the only other option is a thorcotomy which is major major surg. I am facing this prospect in the next couple of weeks. They actually attempted to do one and remove the nodule but the anistishologist could not get the required tubes down my throat for the surg. I woke up in the recovery room thinking it was over and to my dismay they had not done anything. I guess the way my throat or something is it requires a special tube and they are referring me to a larger hospitol.

Chazzzzzzzzzz

Old 09-16-2004, 09:18 AM   #5

SHAYSER HB User

My Risk Factors, Never Had Cancer Been Healthy Up Till Now, My Age: 26, Quit Smoking 2 Months Ago, Never Was A Big Smoker

Old 09-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
Inactive

txchaz HB User

Well I am certainly no doctor, however your risk factors seem very low, thats probebly why they want to wait and do another cat scan in three months. If your not satisfied with that and they can not do a non-invasive biaopsy you are only left with major serg as an option. A thorocotomy is very invasive as described to me, they go in through the rib, seperating it or removing a rib if they have to. A week stay in the hosp and 6 month recovery is what they told me, and it might require a stay in the ICU right after because of the amount of tubes that are needed. It is totally your desision and it is an important one. Good luck dude hope it works out, let me know what you decide to do.

Chazzzzzzzzzzz

Old 09-16-2004, 03:04 PM   #7

karigirl HB User

how long did you smoke for>?

Old 09-19-2004, 09:31 AM   #8
(female)

mwessell HB User

Hi,

The best advice i can give you is STOP BEING SO SCARED and do something about it. Be agressive with getting a diagnosis. Message boards are great for moral support, but your doctors can make things happen.

I am 43, smoked for 25 years, and had a 1cm by 6mm nodule on my right upper lung. It is gone now...had it surgically removed to biopsy it because there was no other way to be sure. It was benign. The surgery was not that bad and now I am able to live my life knowing I am perfectly healthy.

Old 09-19-2004, 03:13 PM   #9
(female)

mwessell HB User

Hi Again,

In reply to TZCHAZ, this does not have to be a terrible surgery. They can remove the nodule, if situated peripherally, with a VATS procedure. This is done with scopes. I have 2 small (1 inch) incisions in my right side. I had a chest tube in for 2 days. I was out of surgery in 2 hours, out of the recovery room in 1 hour, and home 3 days later.

I am now 4 days post-op and took a short walk, went out for a ride, played with my kids...and feel great. A little tired and sore, yes, but not a 6 month recovery. Most people who have this procedure are back to work in a week, depending on how physically demanding their job is.

I also believe that the better the attitude is going into surgery, the better you feel after. It is what it is, and needs to be dealt with aggressively.

Old 09-20-2004, 07:27 AM   #10
Inactive

txchaz HB User

I was referring to a thorocotomy, they do not have ths scope procedure in the town I am in.

Chazzzzzz

Old 09-20-2004, 08:20 AM   #11
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

My husband 40 also a smoker had a nodule in his lung. Doctors thought it was infection and after treated with antibiotics the nodule was gone. I would not worry to much but, do go for follow ups. Where do you live? I have heard that Ohio, Tenn, Ky are more prone to getting nodules from infection. We live in Ohio so it made sense. Good luck and keep us updated. Baylee

Old 09-20-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
(female)

mwessell HB User

Hi Again...

Just trying to get the point across that a "major, major" surgery with a 6 month recovery is not the only option for someone with a pulmonary nodule!

The whole process of a diagnosis is very scary and all the options are not painful, horrible scenarios!

I hope your situation turns out ok!

Peace

Closed Thread