It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #1

JesseJensen HB User
Stage 1 Lung Cancer

Hi
Is there anyone out there that has had Stage 1?

My girlfriend 45 has just been diagnosed with Stage 1. She
is starting chemo/radiation and then will be operated on.

She is terrified and it is hard to find many success stories or
patients through the hospital that have gone through Stage
1. I am trying to some research for her, because at this point
she is too scared to do any reading on the net.

I would love to pass on to her some positive info regarding anyone who
has gone through this.
THANKS in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Inactive

txchaz HB User
Re: Stage 1 Lung Cancer

jessejensen

How was she diagnosed? Did she have a tumor in her lung and if so how big was it ?

Chazzzzz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Thank God it was found at stage 1. She has much more hope and chance for remission. There is so much information right here in this forum that I suggest you read as much as you can. It will help us direct you to posts here if you can tell us where the cancer is located. Good luck and keep the faith!

Old 09-16-2004, 05:06 PM   #4

JesseJensen HB User

Thanks so much. It is in the apex of the right lung, 4CM but not in the nodes.

I guess it is just hard for her to believe that people do survive this, especially
with the long wait between diagnosis and the start of treatment. I know
this is normal, by the time they get all the tests done but the waiting must
be agony.

I had Hodgkins Disease Stage 4 in 1983, I went to the hospital that day,
had a node removed the next and started chemo the day after. When I was going as an out patient for chemo if I was really sick they gave me a private room for the day. There were no cut backs, funding problems or long waits.
I was very lucky.

Old 09-17-2004, 01:44 AM   #5
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User

Thank god it was found so early! She has the odds in her favor. Was it in a physical they found it ?/ Did she have symptoms??
She is fortunate to have a friend like you. Having gone through so much yourself you have an understanding of what she has yet to face. Has she contacted her local cancer support center? Their may be survivors of this type of ca in her area that could possibly spend some time answering many of her questions. God bless.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:58 AM   #6

JesseJensen HB User

She spit up a pin drop of blood and went immediately to her Dr. who did a chest X Ray.

Last edited by JesseJensen; 09-17-2004 at 05:58 AM.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:57 AM   #7
Inactive

txchaz HB User

God must have interviend and told her to go to the hospitol faith is everything. From what I have read stage one has the best recovery rate of all of them. Attitude is a big thing, sometimes it makes all the difference in the world. Good luck, she is on my prayer list. On drop of blood that was all her symptoms thats amazing.

Chazzzzzzzzzzz

Old 09-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

My brother's cancer was not found until it was stage 3b non-small cell cancer. It is aggressive at that point. She is lucky that she may be able to have surgery.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I'm sorry to hear the diagnosis. She is fortunate. 85% of all lung cancer is diagnosed in the late stages. I remember reading somewhere that the 5 year survival rate for Stage 1 is 65%. She will achieve remission but must work very hard at reducing her risk of the cancer returning. I suggest visiting a top notch Nutritionist plus read books on this subject especially aimed at cancer patients. Also read everything you can about foods and supplements that help reduce the chances of cancer returning. Summary: Major diet and lifestyle changes.

Old 09-17-2004, 11:42 AM   #10

sanderlings HB User

I am going through small cell with my mother, but my best friend's father has non-small, they removed part of a lobe with chemo and he just had his fifth year check up in August. He is strong and well. Tell your friend to be strong and fight, this early diagnosis is encouraging.

Closed Thread