It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 04:11 AM   #1

nanably HB User
Brother-in-law has lung cancer and no insurance

My husband's youngest brother was just told they are fairly certain he has lung cancer. He wasn't feeling well and went to the doctor. They ended up doing an MRI and found 2 spots on the lower lobe of one lung. He is unemployed and has no insurance. Doctors and hospitals have told him he has to come up with an outrageous amount of money BEFORE they will even see him. It's like handing him a death sentence. He lives in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know where we might be able to get some medical assistance for him? I am planning to call the Social workers at Duke University Medical Center this morning, but we are just at a loss as to how to obtain ANY medical care for him. Believe me, if we had the money, I would pay for his treatment, but we are just normal working people and could not in our lifetime earn enough money to pay for all the treatment he will need.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:25 AM   #2

Polinka HB User
Re: Brother-in-law has lung cancer and no insurance

Hello,
I am so very sorry for your bad news.How old is your brother-in-Law ?And if you don't mind me asking what was his simptoms?
I can hardly believe that this kind of treatment is possible and doctors want him to pay before,knowing he doesn't have insurance.Sad.
You have nothing to loose,so I would get on the phone and find the hospital which will be able to provide me with payment plan,it is possible and it is better to pay in smaller amounts ruther than a huge summ of money.Also,doctor can direct you to a clinical studies which,I believe,are charge free,but I would do it only after surgery and chimo.Also,you can go to Canada and try to get treatment there.Also you have to call public health aid and talk to them.I know they have programs for people who can't afford payment.Any insurance will decline you dbrother-in-law at this point.You have to be on the plan,at least 1,5 years prior to getting something like cancer.You just have to research this options fast.I am sure you can find something.Wish you all the best.

Oh,one more option:call cancer line and talk to them,they are very helpful and can direct you and tell you where to go and what to do.

Last edited by Polinka; 09-29-2004 at 06:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 10:50 AM   #3
Inactive

Michael01 HB User
Re: Brother-in-law has lung cancer and no insurance

www.cancer.org. In the search section on the upper right type in the words: Medical Insurance. Next page click Medical Insuance & Financial Assistance. When you reach this page you will find lots of useful information.

Closed Thread