It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #1

mari_anna33 HB User
New to the board

Hi everyone
I've been lost in this forum since I found it, reading and reading. So much info and you all are so helpful!
Okay....heres my story. I've had a "swelling" on the left clavicle area of my neck for quite some time, never thought much of it, but decided to bring it up at my yearly routine Dr. visit. She called it a Supraclavicular Mass and sent me for a chest x-ray that day, she says there is a "density" in my right lung in the middle. From what I've researched this supra mass is usually secondary to something else, however the "density" and the mass are not on the same side of my body. The mass being on the left and the "density" being on the right. I am a smoker, have not had any shortness of breath or excessive coughing. I have a CT scan scheduled for this upcoming Monday.
Have any of you ever heard of this supraclavicular mass being associated with a "density" in the lung? Too leary to say the "C" word at this point. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for listening and thank you for a forum like this.
~Mari~

Old 10-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #2

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User
Re: New to the board

Hi Mari_anna- Sorry, I can not answer your question, I have no knowledge of that. Sorry you needed to, but glad you found the board. Let us know what you find out, we will all be praying that it is nothing.

Renee

Last edited by renee_ky; 10-06-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

mwessell HB User

This is too wierd...I had the same thing happen to me. I had swelling at the LEFT clavicle...had a CT scan and they found a nodule on my RIGHT lung. Swelling in the clavicle is muscular....nothing serious.

I went through the whole "lung cancer" scare. I ended up having surgery 3 weeks ago to get the nodule out of my lung and biopsy it. Benign - thank God. But what a scary 3 months.

I wouldn't get too concerned until after the CT scan. Xrays can be so deceiving. That's why they are doing the CT. It could be nothing.

Come back and update us after the CT.

Mary Ellen

Old 10-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #4

mari_anna33 HB User

Renee and Mary Ellen...
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. It's good to know that the "mass" is muscular, however I had read that it was involved with the lymph nodes......sometimes too much info is not good!! eh???
But.....she referred to it as a "density", not a nodule....are they one and the same?
Thank you for the prayers......I need them...God bless you all...prayers are reciprocated.......
Will update after Monday...Once again thank you for your input!
~Mari~

Old 10-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
Inactive

lttlbgft HB User

Mari Anna, I also have witnessed something similar to what you are describing but I wouldn't want to say anything about it until after your CT Scan. I'll be watching for you here on this board.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:14 PM   #6
(female)

mwessell HB User

I think a "density" on an xray is a broad term. I don't think they can really call it anything specific until a CT Scan. And your left clavicle swelling may be something other than muscular like mine was.

And you are right...too much info is not good!

Don't be shy about calling your doctor with questions like these...they know alot more than we do!

Old 10-06-2004, 07:22 PM   #7
Inactive

lttlbgft HB User

"I think a "density" on an xray is a broad term. I don't think they can really call it anything specific until a CT Scan. "
Exaclty. This is very true.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:41 AM   #8

mari_anna33 HB User

Oh no lttlbgft!
Now you have me going.....I'll pop in after I get the results and we'll compare notes, [ removed ] ~Mari~

Last edited by moderator2; 10-07-2004 at 07:13 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 10-07-2004, 03:55 AM   #9

mari_anna33 HB User

mwessell,
thank you for clarifying what a "density" is. So, you had the swelling too, what did yours turn out to be? If I may ask?
~Mari~

Old 10-07-2004, 06:41 AM   #10
(female)

mwessell HB User

Hi,

Ya know...I was so shook up by the nodule on the right lung...I never pursued the cause of the swelling on the left side!!! I do know it was nothing serious and was somehow muscular...nothing to be concerned about. So when it swells up I take 3 advil and that seems to ease the pain.

I have not been seeking treatment for this...or even a definitive diagnosis. I had surgery less than a month ago for the nodule and still healing! Since my surgery, I have not done any heavy lifting, yardwork, etc...and the swelling has gone down and the pain on the left side is gone. I am left handed and put alot of strain on that side. I have a one year old, and the swelling started after she was born...my theory is that it was from carrying her in the infant seat and swinging it up into the SUV. Do this 5 or 6 times a day on top of everything else, and that is bound to take its toll on the joint and muscles on that side.

Your densities could have just been shadows...how sweet would that be!!!
Some good advice my doctor gave me was to minimize things. Don't fret over what it might be. Deal with things as they happen.

Good luck!

Mary Ellen

Old 10-08-2004, 09:01 AM   #11
Inactive

txchaz HB User

Mwessle,
How big was the nodule that you had surg on ? Mari I pray your tests come back negative and that everything is ok, I also pray that you can give up that horriable cigarette habit.

Chazzzzzzzzzzz

Old 10-08-2004, 03:27 PM   #12
(female)

mwessell HB User

Chaz,

It was 1cm x 6mm. Very small and did not want to wait and see if it grew!

Mary Ellen

Closed Thread