It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
(female)

delady HB User
wondering......

Hi Everyone,

I have a nodule on the apex part of my right lung that is 6 by 10mm. I just went back for my 3 month ct scan and results. The nodule has not grown but it's still there. Now the doctor says we will wait 6 months to do the next ct scan. I was a nervous wreck the past 3 months so I'm not to sure I can handle a longer wait between ct scans. Most of the posting I have read, the nodules are measured in centimeters. I know that's larger than millimeters but my question now is, has anyone heard of doing a biopsy on a nodule that's not measured in centimeters but in millimeters? I am 49 years old, starting smoking at the age of 14, been a heavy smoker for 10 years and I have a small smokers cough. I also have mild emphysema.
Does anyone know what size a nodule is before they will do an biopsy?
Thanks for anyone responses...........

Old 10-11-2004, 06:42 AM   #2
Inactive

txchaz HB User
Re: wondering......

Hi Delady,

They found a 4mm node on my right lung around Memorial day. I was given the option of having it removed by my surgeon. I decided to have the surgery but for other reasons they could not do the surg. Since that time I have had two more cat scans each time they found more, 6 on my right and 1 on my left lung. They also want me to wait three months now. From what I have read on the internet for a needle biaopsy it needs to be at least 1-2 cm. There are three or four of us on this board going through the same thing, we are all sweating out the next cat scan. In my case one surg said he could resect the area and the other surg said they were to small, all between 4-6 mm. it is a confusing and frustrating thing to say the least. Do you plan on quitting smoking ??

Chazzzzzzz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
(female)

delady HB User

Hi Chaz,

Yes, I do plan to stop smoking. At the time my dr. called and told me I had a lung nodule I was smoking almost 3 packs a day. Since then, I haven't smoked more than 12 cigs a day. On a good day I get by with just 4. My house is now smoke free and so is my car. Trying to quit is the hardest thing I have ever done. This is no excuse for smoking, but my husband was told he has prostate cancer 2 weeks after my medical problems started. This past summer has been a nightmare for us...not just medically but personally so I've yet to stop. Once things start to settle down some I hope to concentrate more on myself. The wait is sooo hard...at my age you don't want time to go by fast, lol, but I need it to for now.
Good luck with your situation....I'll be thinking and praying for you.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
(female)

mwessell HB User

Hi,

I had a nodule that was 1cm x 6mm. I had this removed surgically to be biopsied because I was a high risk due to my smoking history. I am 43 and smoked for 20 years. I have not had a butt in 27 days (since my surgery).

The nodule was benign and it was worth every minute of pain and discomfort because now I can sleep at night, I know I will be around for my kids, and I know I do not have lung cancer.

I would think it was an option at any size to have surgery. Why wait until it grows!!

Mary Ellen

Old 10-12-2004, 07:55 AM   #5
(female)

delady HB User

Mary Ellen,

CONGRATS!! Keep up the good work. I go for a second opinion at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore on Nov. 3rd. I plan to talk to this dr. about a biopsy. Hopefully he will put my mind at ease a little. The dr. I am seeing here in my city told me that if there had been a change in my 3 mo. ct scan she would have wanted to do surgery but since there wasn't, we will wait 6 months to do the next one. I do agree with you...why wait until it grows.

How did you quit? On your own or with help. I am so angry at myself because I truely thought I would have thrown them out by now. How much pain were you in after the surgery? (eeeekkkk)

Brenda

Old 10-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #6
(female)

mwessell HB User

Hi Brenda...

I quit because they won't let you smoke in the hospital HAHA!!!

I was in for 3 days and I felt like crap. When I went home, a sneeze or a cough felt like a knife going through my chest. To have a cigarette and start coughing would have been awful. Now I just figure I have gone this long...I should just never smoke again. It sucks though...I crave them ALL THE TIME!!! I hope I can quit for good but I have my doubts!

The pain from the surgery really wasn't excruciating. They did it with scopes and the scarring is minimal. It was the chest tube that really hurt and made the nausea constant. I couldn't even keep ice chips down. As soon as the chest tube came out, I felt great and starting eating (alot). It was worth every minute in the hospital and every minute of recuperation.

I think I recovered so well (out and about 3 days after coming home) because I worked out alot for the month before surgery. I was in great shape going in and that made a huge difference. I am not a kid either...43!

I hope you don't worry as much as I did...it really sucks not knowing, and I hope you can get this removed and biopsied soon if that is what you want.

Good luck and keep me posted!
Mary Ellen

Closed Thread