It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 10:27 AM   #31

SHAYSER HB User
Re: After 6 months a answear maybe

If he has gone down this quikly in a matter of a few days maybe you should take him right to the hospital.. he might need to go, my aunt had mat cancer and she did go down hill but not that fast, i think maybe you should take him to the hospital.. i don't mean to worry u either

Old 11-17-2004, 10:42 AM   #32
Inactive

txchaz HB User

I called his doctor and am waiting for them to call me back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 11:10 AM   #33

shadowrose40 HB User

HI

Tell him he didn't offend me at all.

No, don't try and wake him. As long as he's resting comfortably, and breathing normally, then let him rest. He's been through a lot of testing and is probably worn completly out.

The mention of his color worries me, though. The doctors will NOT mistreat him because you call with concerns. You have a right to be concerned, hon.

His color, though.... is he bluish or yellowish? One points to oxygenation and the other points to possible liver problems (bluish oxygen, yellow liver)

How long has it been since he's actually eaten? Is he having any nausea or vomiting? More importantly, is he DRINKING fluids? Those dyes used for the scans need to be flushed out of the system.

Also, what medications is he on? The extreme fatigue can be a result of pain medications.

I wish we were allowed to post emails and/or numbers here

I know at this point that you are overwhelmed, frustrated, angry, scared and feeling alone and helpless. You wouldn't be a normal person if ya didn't. They are typical feelings when we are faced with the unknown, a potential terrifying diagnosis, and not enough answers!

It's entirely possible that he's anemic. That can cause him to look pale and washed out. DEMAND that he be checked for this! It's a simple blood test.

Now, on to YOU, hon. You also need to take care of you. You've said yourself that he's a very caring person (we all know that from reading his posts, by the way!)

Take care of you. He'd want you to! No matter what they find, he's sick. You all know that, and there is no point in my trying to sugar coat it, because you wouldn't believe me anyway.

But, nothing is set in stone. And I'm entirely serious when I say that I've known people with Stage IV cancer that were given literally weeks that have beat the odds. Remember that 'odds' and 'prognosis' are based soley on past patients, not YOUR patient. The only sure thing about cancer is that nothing is sure about it!

It doesn't sound like they've looked at his liver. It's time that they do. INSIST on it. Don't ask them, tell them.

But, he has to eat. He needs his strength for whatever he's fighting, be it cancer or something else. And he can't fight it if he has nothing to fight it with! Tell him I said so! If I can't smoke, he has to EAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txchaz
Thanks for your advice on the food shadow, I told him what you said and he said he hoped that he did not offend you about smoking (not sure what he ment) He seems more "withit" today but not himself, he seems to have a funny color to him, it might just be me. He also mentioned someone named "renee" not sure who she is either. I am afraid of harrassing the doctors they might put him off or something. I have seen such a difference in him in a matter of three or four days at this rate I am scared to even think about it.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #34
Inactive

txchaz HB User

The color thing is hard to describe, not blueish just not right, pale would be more of a discription as anything he has always been so healthy I just do not understand this. He is not on any medication except a mild sedative and he has not had any of that today. He complains about his hip after sitting or laying down for a awhile. He has a appointment Fri and hopefully they will have some ans or at least a direction on what we are going to do. When he is awake he seems a little fuzzy or like I have to say something twice for him to get his attention or for him to udnerstand. I am pushing fluids I know he is dehydrated. I have never seen him sick before its just not right.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:42 AM   #35

shadowrose40 HB User

HI

If he's that sick, then don't wait for the doc to call back. Just take him to the hospital and get him admitted for IV hydration and an abdominal CT.

There are just too many possibilities. He needs to be seen. He should be seen. He shouldn't be 'confused' and the hip pain could be referred pain from something major.

Hugs

Old 11-17-2004, 12:07 PM   #36

SHAYSER HB User

Is he still in pain? did the dr call you back? you are in my prayers, may i ask how your children are holding up?

Old 11-17-2004, 12:16 PM   #37

SHAYSER HB User

hey shadowrose are u there, i am too nervous to call my dr for ct scan results, and now from reading chaz post i am scared that nodule came from somewhere else like the lung nodule is secondary, do you think this could be god i am just turning 27 now i am really scared.............

Old 11-17-2004, 12:25 PM   #38

shadowrose40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAYSER
hey shadowrose are u there, i am too nervous to call my dr for ct scan results, and now from reading chaz post i am scared that nodule came from somewhere else like the lung nodule is secondary, do you think this could be god i am just turning 27 now i am really scared.............

HI

At your age, the chances of this being anything other than an innocent nodule are extremly slim, hon. Try not to be concerned. Even with a 10 year smoking history, lung cancer isn't likley, and other types of cancer that have moved to the lungs would likley have other symptoms as well.

Get your CT results and go from there

Hugs

Old 11-17-2004, 12:37 PM   #39

SHAYSER HB User

I know you are right I am just so scared anymore, so you really don't think the nodule came from anywhere else>? P.S . Thanks for chatting i know i seem frantic but i swear i am normal ... just scared

Old 11-17-2004, 12:53 PM   #40
Inactive

txchaz HB User

I called his Dr. again they have moved his appointment up to tomarrow morning, Chaz did get up for a bit and I got him to eat a little, some soup and fruit. I made him get on the scale and he is down to like 155 he is skin and bones, I am going to get him some of those protien drinks like someone suggested. I am going to try to get him to get out of the house later when he gets up maybe a walk or something. We used to ride bikes now I hope he can walk some this afternoon and get some fresh air. He did ask if his "friends" were online, I told them how you guys have been helping me. I don't know what eles I can do I feel so helpless.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:07 PM   #41

SHAYSER HB User

you are doing the right things keep him moving , go for a walk even if you ask him to do a few things around the house, I think you are doing great and tell chaz that we miss him and can't wait to talk to him...........

Old 11-17-2004, 01:09 PM   #42

shadowrose40 HB User

HI

If he's weak and tired, a walk is likely to make him moreso. Perhaps a short drive if he's up to it.

A good way to tell if he's dehydrated is to pinch the skin on his hand and see if it stays 'up' or goes right back down. It appears he's lost about 20 pounds since this all started in May?

I am concerned that he's sleeping a lot. But that is one of the ways that the body recouperates from pysical stresses.

Part of the problem, too, might be that he's probably scared, even if he's not voicing it to you right now. Anyone would be in his shoes. And, even that is wearing on the soul and the mind.

But the apparant confusion is worrisome. Some people aren't able to tolerate certain medications, though.

I'd flat out ask him just how much pain he is in. If it's severe, it needs to be addressed. Men tend to 'hide' the amount of pain they are in. Again, pain is very taxing on the entire system. I know you mentioned some hip pain (and I'm guessing that that is referred pain)

Still, with all the other symptoms he has, I'd ask for a bone scan. (Again, a painless test)

He has to build up his strength, and he can't do that without nourishment. If he's nauseated, there are medications for that. Is it he has no appetite, or is he afraid of choking on whatever he eats? If it's just no appetite, I go back to what I said before "Tuff Chazz, eat anyway "

Now, if he's nauseated, that's an entirely different story. That needs addressed.

It's rare for someone to go downhill so quickly, which leads me to think that something acute is happening, that needs addressed now, rather than later.

Please keep us up to date, and again, post with any questions, or just if you need the support. I've got this window open and will be home all day, as I'm not feeling well enough to go anywhere.

Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by txchaz
I called his Dr. again they have moved his appointment up to tomarrow morning, Chaz did get up for a bit and I got him to eat a little, some soup and fruit. I made him get on the scale and he is down to like 155 he is skin and bones, I am going to get him some of those protien drinks like someone suggested. I am going to try to get him to get out of the house later when he gets up maybe a walk or something. We used to ride bikes now I hope he can walk some this afternoon and get some fresh air. He did ask if his "friends" were online, I told them how you guys have been helping me. I don't know what eles I can do I feel so helpless.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #43

shadowrose40 HB User

HI

No, I really don't think the nodule came from somewhere else. Pick up your phone and call for the results and set your mind at ease

I'm almost old enough to be your mom, so ...hehehehehe

Hugs

Quote:
I know you are right I am just so scared anymore, so you really don't think the nodule came from anywhere else>? P.S . Thanks for chatting i know i seem frantic but i swear i am normal ... just scared

Old 11-17-2004, 01:18 PM   #44

SHAYSER HB User

I am trying they don't open back up till 5, what if they say it got bigger, or there are more then does that mean i have cancer?

Old 11-17-2004, 01:26 PM   #45

shadowrose40 HB User

HI Hon

I'm going to post back over on your thread, ok? I kind of think that chaz and his wife need this one right now centered on them, and you need support, too, so I'll move my comments to your thread.

Hugs

Quote:
I am trying they don't open back up till 5, what if they say it got bigger, or there are more then does that mean i have cancer?

Closed Thread