It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #1

RDRCK27 HB User
Small Cell Lung Cancer Question

My husband and I found out that my husband has Small Cell Lung Cancer last Monday. The oncologist said that an operation was out because of the large mass being between both of his lungs. He also has cancerous lymph nodes in his neck. The cancer has not spread anywhere else. He starts Chemo this coming Monday. The oncologist did not say what stage my husband is in. My question is can Lung Cancer go into remission or is this a type of cancer that can't be in remission. I am brand new to all of this so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

gemmy200 HB User
Re: Small Cell Lung Cancer Question

I am so sorry to hear about your husbands recent diagnosis. I would like to believe that there is always hope for a remission with any cancer diagnosis. I lost my father 2 years ago this month to small cell lung cancer, but every case is different. I have heard of people beating the odds, even on this board. Keep strong, keep praying, and I will keep you both in my prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2004, 04:28 PM   #3

sheryl555 HB User

RDRCK27,

First of all I'm very sorry that you and your husband have such saddness, it stinks it truly does.

Yes, it can go into remission. My sister (read Sheryl555, that's me) was diagnosed almost three years ago with Stage IV non small cell double lung cancer, that went to the nodes. She is now in remission for the second time within that three year period. She has been in remission this time since April, she is a paralegal and works full time and has never stopped working the whole duration! Right now she feels great, she gets a little tired, but don't we all. We recently went to her doctor, last week and the doctor told her she's still in remission. He said believe me it is nothing I have done, it is prayer. And believe me, I know it is, that and her very positive attitude. Right from the begining she said she would not let this cancer beat her, she's only 44! Never give up hope or prayer. Every case is different, every person is different. But I truly believe in the power of prayer and attitude.

Good Luck to the both of you and hang in there. I will keep you both in my prayers.
Sheryl

Old 11-07-2004, 12:38 AM   #4
(female)

chelsealam HB User

hi there, I am so sorry to hear this. To be honest, small cell lung cancer is difficult to be cured......and I lost my dad this April. He was a great fighter..As far as I know, non-small cell has a greater chance to survive at the early stage.

I pray for peace for all of you.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:31 AM   #5

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

RDRCK27- I am VERY sorry to hear that yet another family has to go through this. The "statistics" of small cell lung cancer are grim, but I would NEVER say, it cannot be beat. There is always hope! I just said a prayer for you and your family. I hope for the best for your husband, and for you. I will be honest and tell you, the battle requires a lot of strength, faith and determination. Do your best to keep your husband fighting, as long as he wants to continue the fight. My husband 9 month battle to small cell lung cancer ended September 18th. But, he did not "lose", he is in heaven, and there is no more suffering or fighting for him. Don't forget to lean on God, the strength he can give you will be needed more then ever.

Renee

Last edited by renee_ky; 11-08-2004 at 06:33 AM.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:28 AM   #6
(female)

OTabby HB User

So sorry to hear about your husband.I will Pray.

Last edited by OTabby; 03-23-2005 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Gave wrong information

Old 12-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

Nutrition will play a crucial role in the battle against cancer. There's a book called Beating Cancer with Nutrition. Do a search. The book costs about $18.00. Seeking advise from a Nutritionist would also help. Doctors believe that diet plays no role in fighting cancer. This is not true. In doing research you will also learn that SUGAR both artificial (desserts, soda, etc) and natural (fruit & fruit juice) must be avoided. Best is a microbiotic diet. There are many testimonials regarding cancer patients who have beat cancer with this diet. Do not depend entirely on doctors. Knowledge is Power.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #8
(female)

BlueKitKat HB User

So sorry to hear about your husband. My father was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in May. Small cell lung cancers aren't staged the way that non-small cell lung cancers are (ie. - Stage I, II, etc.). They are considered either limited (confined to one half of the chest and maybe involving certain lymph nodes) or extensive (involving both sides of the chest, also may have metastasis). The good thing about small cell lung cancer is that it is very responsive to chemo as compared with other types, so remission does happen, although the cancer usually comes back. My father just finished his first cycle of chemo. About a month and a half ago (halfway through his chemo) he had a scan and the tumor in his lung was completely gone and there was marked decrease in the number of spots seen in his bones. Like everyone else is saying, you have to stay positive because everyone really is different. I am a medical student and am constantly amazed by stories of people beating the odds or at least living longer than doctors predict. I try to be realistic, but never stop hoping that my dad might be one of the lucky ones who can fight this.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:07 PM   #9
(female)

holst HB User

My sister currently has extensive small cell lung cancer. Every thing I have read seems pretty bleak regarding this type. Do people actually recover from this? I want to have hope, but I can't find any instances of people recovering from extensive stage.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:10 AM   #10

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

I do not believe any of us can say that small cell lung cancer can or cannot go into remission. If we look at the facts, we know it is rare, for small cell lung cancer. However, without hope, what do we really have? You have to stay hopeful and positive.

Renee

Old 01-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #11
(female)

Fricky HB User

Small Cell lung Cancer is so frightening. There is hardly anything positive out there about it. My sister was diagnosed 8 months ago, her symptoms were shortness of breath and weazing. At the time they said it was limited. She went thru radiation and chemo and her symptoms dissappeared. Although on cat scans residual scarring was still visible or so they think that is what it is. She is one that is very allergic to the iodine in the cat scans, she blew up with over 40 lbs of fluid and had to be hospitalized for that, so needless to say they don't give her the contrast anymore. We were very optimistic about her situation until they did a non contrast cat on her and found a 3 centimeter tumor in her liver. They followed up with an MRI and something is definitely there. They say its suspicious but have to do a biopsy this wednesday to try to decide what exactly it is. This will be a needle biopsy.

My question is does anyone or has anyone heard of small cell metastizing to the liver in the form of one tumor. I thought they were usually multiple. We also were taken aback becuz she was up for brain irradiation to make sure it didn't go there next and here this pops up in the liver. As far as we know its not anywhere else. Of course this stuff is so fast. I just don't know what to think I'm so confused and scared. Its really yukky becuz its just now that she is starting to feel like her old self again.

I pray for all of you and yours. I lost a mother to colon cancer and this sister had breast cancer years ago and beat that. I know what everyone is going thru.

God bless you all!!!!!

Old 01-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #12
(female)

mammer HB User

Hi everyone,

I am also new. My father was diagnosed with advanced NSCLC right before Christmas. I am sorry to hear about all the losses that everyone has had to experience.

sheryl555 - I was wondering if you are allowed to state what drug was used. Not sure if this is against the rules.

Thanks

Closed Thread