It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2001, 08:46 AM   #1

gunnersgram HB User
Question small cell lung cancer

My Dad has small cell lung cancer and has gone through chemo, he was diagnosed in September. The oncologist says he believes he is in remission at this time, doese that mean a long term remission or can we expect this to recurr soon? When it doese how long before he gets to the point that we will need hospice?/ I would appreciate any help here i could get im scared.

------------------
Jody L Savage

Old 01-04-2001, 02:07 PM   #2
(female)

Theresa341 HB User
I am sorry to hear about your dad. My mom passed on from breast cancer. In response to your post, nobody knows- NOT EVEN A DOCTOR- how long someone will stay in remission. Your dad could be in remission for the rest of his life or he could battle the cancer again in 3 months. You just don't know. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you- I know it is frustrating and scary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2001, 01:09 AM   #3

Borgieskid HB User
Hi Jody-I can only tell you my own experience with my mom. She had small cell lung cancer and was diagnosed early. Thank God she had severe symptoms or we wouldn't have known it. Hers was inoperable so she did chemo and radiation, and believe it or not, she was cancer free after it! She never got sick from the chemo or radiation. Take your Dad to a teaching hospital, thats where docs learn. They have to be up on the latest treatments so the docs can pass the exams! Be wary of research. This does not have to be a "death sentence", it just depends on the location of the cancer and the stage, as well as how aggressive the doctors are. Since your Dad is in remission, it sounds good. I wouldn't involve hospice until and if necessary. Some people give up when on Hospice, as Hospice comes in at the "end of life" and the patient knows that. In the meantime since he is in remission, try to get VNA or another home health agency in to check on him. If your Dad is on Medicare, it's covered. The doctor just needs to order it. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 03-19-2001, 06:17 AM   #4

rosilita1 HB User
small cell lung cancer is a terribly agressive cancer. only around 5 percent of patients are alive after 5 years. its wonderful that he is in remission , now you want to focus on something that can prolong the remission or what you plan to do when he goes out of remission. when it comes back he can get very sick very quick. i have seen a lot of lung cancer patients when i was working for an oncologist. be a step ahead. don't wait for it to come back

Old 03-29-2001, 10:30 AM   #5
Inactive

babs225 HB User
rosilita1

How do you go about prolonging the remission? Does anyone have news on the new vaccine out?

Old 04-07-2001, 09:37 PM   #6

shortyinTH HB User
In regards to gunnersgram. I would talk to Hospice even if your dad is in remission. In the area we live in they were very helpful. They usually tell you they can be called in within the last 6 months before death, but you can talk to them anytime.

Closed Thread