It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2001, 09:42 PM   #1

Veronica220 HB User
Post My 80 y.o. Dad w/lung "tumors"...

Hello all.

My Dad is 80 y.o. and has had emphysema for years. He's had frequent bouts of pneumonia in the past 3-4 years. He's had regular Dr. visits, x-rays, a CT scan back in 1997. NO ONE told us anything about seeing "abnormal" cells back in 1997.

Anyway, about 2 years ago, he found out he had tongue cancer, and had surgery, then radiation. He was told that that was no longer a problem.

NOW - last week, he totally couldn't breathe, went to ER, and they told us that he has multiple tumors in his lung, and that they also found signs of metastasis in lymph nodes of liver - BUT they don't know if that is from the lung or other.

Anyway, my Dad refused a biopsy, and they sent him home, telling us that they believe it to be about Stage IV lung cancer and just plan with/for hospice, yet on the other hand are telling us it MAY be able to be treated. ALSO - he is VERY thin, hasn't been able to eat right since he had the tongue surgery about 2 years ago, AND he also had a MASSIVE heart attack back in November 2000 - SO - all these things combined pretty much mean that his body could not even tolerate any sort of treatment.

I'D LIKE TO KNOW - should we just start planning hospice care now? Has anyone been in a similar situation with someone of this older age that also has these other compromising conditions along with the lung cancer?

ANY info. at all would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks so much.

------------------
Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2001, 07:33 AM   #2

rosilita2 HB User
the chemo regimen to cure lung cancer is very difficult. because of your fathers frailness from not being able to eat, and having had a massive heart attack he might not survive treatment. oncologists don't want to treat someone and kill them in the process. you could consider radiation and low dose chemo just to releive his pain.possibly give him a little more time.hospice usually comes in once the doctor gives a 6 months or less diagnosis. what is nice about hospice is if you involve them they will support you anytime of the day over any issue. there is someone always on call even at 3 in the morning, who will come directly over to your house to check out any problem your father could be having.(in contrast to most doctors, who often don't even call back their services when you call them) Hospice will help with cleaning the patient.EVERYTHING.

Old 04-23-2001, 03:44 PM   #3

JanieB HB User
Dear Veronica... So sorry to hear of your plight...My mum has lung cancer with superior vena cava obstrucion...She is terminal and we have decided not to go ahead with chemo ..she had radiation on the obstruction....But we feel that she would be better off not having the chemo.. We are involved with the hospice and she is attending the day centre ..they have alternative therapies and also provide meals ect...she also has a nurse that visits and is on hand..They give lots of advice on pain relief and palative care....they may be able to give you better advice and discuss all the pros and cons of the chemo....
My prayers are with you...
With love Janie xxxx

Closed Thread