It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2003, 04:20 PM   #1

pentek128 HB User
Question Lung surgery-removal of lung

It has now been decided that my mother-in-law is a candidate for surgery since the cancer has not spread at all...it's a Stage 2 Adencarcinoma, limited to the left lung, a 4 cm mass that is completely surrounding the bronchial tube.

They said they will try for a lobectomy but will likely take the whole lung. (Her right lung is in good shape since she never smoked.)

Has anyone had experience with this type of surgery? How bad is the recovery period? Any advice on things we could do to prepare for her/help her? Any thoughts most appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
Dan&cheryl

I sure can't answer any of your questions because Danny's cancer was too advanced for surgery. I just wanted to let you know I'm going to be thinking about you and waiting for updates. Good luck to her...Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2003, 06:59 AM   #3

kimmmi HB User
I had two thirds of my right lung removed 8 weeks ago. The best way to prevent pain the first 4 days is to have a morphine line right into your spinal cord. It sounds nasty but I was virtually pain free and when they removed it I didnt even feel it. After that I relied on pain meds for about 3 weeks to control the pain, but it did do the trick. I was worried that I would never be able to climb the stairs again because I was so out of breath, but this week (8 wks later), I feel great. I am almost back to normal. The doc says my other lung and the little piece of my right lung will stretch and take over and I believe it has. It is not such a bad operation, I hope this helps.

Old 03-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #4

pentek128 HB User
It helps a lot, kimmmi, thank you! One other question: how long was it before you felt comfortable riding as a passenger in a car? My MIL desperately wants us to take her to her sister's house(8 hour car ride) for Easter, which is about 4 weeks after surgery. Do you think this could at all be possible? We'd love to take her too but want to be realistic. Please give it to me straight. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #5

kimmmi HB User
I do feel like this is one I can answer.. I just returned from Florida (5 weeks after surgery). The ride was not bad at all, but for some reason I did feel bad. I believe it was the change in climates. When I got to Fla I had a fever and when I returned home again I got another fever. But if you ask me it was worth it. I really didnt have any site pain in the car, but pain from breathing the humid or cold air.

Old 03-14-2003, 07:07 PM   #6

pentek128 HB User
Thanks, Kimmmi!

Closed Thread