It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2003, 03:03 PM   #1

clc313 HB User
Post new to board

hi, i'm new to this board. my mom was diagnosed with smlc in 9/02 had chemo from 09/02 to 02/03 and went into remision. on 08/03 we found out that it is now in her brain, liver, stomach, and a lymph node under her ear (not sure of the name) she's done 10 out of the 14 sessions of radiation on her brain, and everything was going good till yesterday. she refused to go to radiation yesterday because she is in so much pain. she is burnt inside and out of her ear, she cant swallow, and her scalp is burnt. i guess i just want to know if anyone has heard of any clinical studies for any of these thing i've described above. i am 30 years old and not ready to give up my mom yet! she's the only parent i've every really had. its hard to see this women that has always been so strong and never would cry, now be so ill and emotional. please let me know of ANY studies that might help my mom.
thanks

------------------
cindy

Old 09-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #2

Desiree Kelsch HB User
I know how it can be to have a parent that you have depended on all your life as the strong one to be reduced to something very foreign to you. My mom also had chemo and radiation and was supposed to be in remission. Now she has had fluid on the lung and they suspect cancer is back. It is so hard -- I know. After the first treatment and the remission, you go back to "everything will be okay and back to normal" and suddenly wham! here it is back again. I have had a hard time with mom and her treatment. Last time, there was several times she stopped her radiation because she couldn't stand it. But I basically begged her and she went on with it. Now after several months with her in remission I think I have a clearer view of how terrible treatment was for her. As my sister told me, sometimes you have to let go of what you want and think about your loved one and what they want. When my dad died last year of comp from colon cancer, we were given the choice to do evasive measures to keep his body alive but we felt he wouldn't have wanted to live the way he would have been had he been brought back. He was ready to die. I know you want your mom to be here forever, and we will continue to fight the cancer beast at every step of the way. But we should ease up on our loved ones with our urgency in finding them the way back to "normal". Be patient with them. Take a break or delay one treatment. Love them. And then go back at it. But it might be good to talk with them and see what they want to do. Take care and may God be with you. Keep making posts and see about talking with others about your mom's cancer on the net or a support group or wherever. When your in this situation you feel so alone but we are out there to reach out to.... We know how it feels because we have been there too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 12:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Cindy- I know how painful this is for you. You are desperately trying to save your mom, but of course she has to be a willing participant.

Here is a link to ongoing clinical trials. Talk to your mom and see if she is interested...If she is, then speak with her physicians to discuss if this is a possibility for her.

[url="http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/action/FindCondition?ui=D008175&recruiting=true "]http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/action/FindCondition?ui=D008175&recruiting=true[/url]

Good luck,
zuzu xx

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 09-24-2003).]

Old 09-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #4

clc313 HB User
Wink

thank you for your kind words, its nice to know there are people out there that understands how i feel. i just wish no one should have to go through this. the pain for the ones with cancer and the family that are going through it with them is almost more than anyone should have to bare! GOD I HATE CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
cindy

Old 11-24-2003, 09:35 PM   #5

clc313 HB User
Unhappy update

just an update on my mom. i had to take her to the hospital on 11/20/03 because she was having trouble breathing and she had what she thought was a pinched nerve in her hip. well come to find out, she had phnumonia (sp) and we found out that the cancer is back in the lung. and the so called "pinched nerve was in fact cancer in her thigh bone. they have her on oxygen now and she has the morphine patch to help with the pain in her leg. we dont think she is going to be with us much longer. i know alot of u suggested buying the book final gift. i'm going to pick that up tomorrow, but does anyone have any suggestions for a book to help me and my sisters kids? my 9 yr. old daughter broke down and cried the other day saying she didnt want her grandma to die. i explained to her about heaven but i could use some help from a book or video or something. cuz its hard to explain something to young kids when i'm 30 and cant fully understand myself!
thanks in advance,
cindy

ps. the kids are 17, 12,11,9,7, 6,1

Closed Thread