It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 07:27 AM   #1

btnccab HB User
Question limited sclc and brain radiation

My mother is 73 and was diagnosed w/limited small cell lung cancer in Apr 2003. She has completed both radiation and chemotherapy treatments and is in complete remission. Her radiation oncologist has offered whole brain radiation for preventative measures. Her oncologist is on the fence but an oncologist we saw yesterday for a second opinion is in complete support of the therapy. The side effects are the drawback. Has anyone had any experience with this type of radiation treatment to share with me? We have to make a decision soon and are very confused.....thank you! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2003, 08:09 AM   #2

scrum HB User
I am sorry that you and your family have been affected by lung cancer. I do agree that one must fight this disease very aggressively, but whole brain radiation is extreemly aggressive as a preventative measure. If you have not contacted one of the more advanced cancer facilities concerning this I would advise you to do so. My father in law did have 15 whole brain radiation treatments. In some cases whole brain radiation can have very adverse side affects.

I am not saying that I would not do it, I am just saying that I would seek the advise of the most knowledgeable oncologist that I could find. I am not sure why, but in many cases lung cancer will spread to the brain. Any step that can safely be done to stop that progression should be taken.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Stacy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2003, 11:02 AM   #3

CDiNitto HB User
I am so sorry with what you are going through. My father had NSCLC that did spread to his brain. He underwent 16 Whole Brain Radiation treatments. What we were told was that 20% of whole brain radiation patients will suffer some form of dimentia within 5 years. We were advised to take that chance even though his brain met was surgically removed. The doctors thought that was his best chance of the brain tumor not returning. My father, unfortunately did suffer from dimentia. He was not the same person within a year, and as the years went on, he became more and more confused, and forgetful. His personality completely changed. We will never know if putting him through the whole brain radiation was the right decision. All I can tell you is that he survived for 4 years after that. His lung cancer came back with a vengence in June and he just passed away 2 1/2 weeks ago.

The internet is loaded with good information. I strongly suggest you do the research on Whole Brain Radiation and discuss your findings with the doctors.

My prayers are with you.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:38 PM   #4
Inactive

bostton1 HB User
There is a difference between Preventive whole brain radiation(PCI) and whole brain radiation after a tumor is discovered. with PCI the dose is usually 1/10 what you would receive if tumors are present. It usually causes very limited side effects. The treatment is very common with SCLC.

John

[This message has been edited by bostton1 (edited 10-08-2003).]

Old 10-08-2003, 04:18 PM   #5

btnccab HB User
Talking

John - Thank you for your reply....I have been trying to keep that in mind as I sort through all of the information available on the web. Most experiences are from individuals that were using radiation for treatment of a tumor. Your response was some much needed encouragement! thanks!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
(female)

JennFL HB User
Re: limited sclc and brain radiation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostton1 View Post
There is a difference between Preventive whole brain radiation(PCI) and whole brain radiation after a tumor is discovered. with PCI the dose is usually 1/10 what you would receive if tumors are present. It usually causes very limited side effects. The treatment is very common with SCLC.

John

[This message has been edited by bostton1 (edited 10-08-2003).]
My mom has limited stage small cell luncg cancer diagnosed AUg 07 and had a 3inch tumor which is gone now thank god. she has 2 chemo treatments left and she already completed radiation. Next month she begins PCI preventative brain radiation because it nevet met to the brain, is that true that the side effects are less? they were going to do 10 days of PCI but the doc said they wanted to do a lower dose at 20 days. We are also worried about long term side effects. My mom is doing well taking the treatments well we are just concerned about the brain radiation.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Hi...please do the brain radiation...we were hoping to get my Mom to that point...as so far sclc... cannot be cured...it can react awesome to chemo ...put in remission...then you treat the brain...as the chemo that worked on the tumor will not do anything if cells have started to the brain..which is common in sclc..and when it eventually comes back...years from now....there may be other treatments...and more research that has been done...to hopefully give the cure...sclc has a really great response to chemo...but my Mom was in the smaller percentage that it didn't...she also endured 10 months of chemo for breast cancer 12 years ago...which probably conributed to her chemo resistance this time..If she was able to go into remision w/ the chemo shrinking...eliminating the tumors...she would have opted for the preventative brain radiation....c

Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
(female)

JennFL HB User

we are definately doing it cause my mom wants to fight this with all we can. She doesnt want it to come back. thanks for the positive feedback!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennFL View Post
we are definately doing it cause my mom wants to fight this with all we can. She doesnt want it to come back. thanks for the positive feedback!
Glad your mom is doing so well. As I said...we were hoping my mom would be able to get there as well. As with any of these treatments...there are side effects, but we were told that the lower doses they give with the preventative brain radiation had fewer side effects...and weighing the pros and cons...taking a chance on some of the side effects...My Mom would have opted to help ensure that if there were cancer cells that had snuck up to her brain that wouldn't have been touched by the chemo...the radiation would get them and give her additional quality time...best wishes...and keep in touch...c

Closed Thread